Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

Josh, even though I saw the car coming together at various stages, the finished product is over the top. The "sign painter" did an excellent job.

I see a couple of midgets in his future!

Blacki-Suede

2. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

That 49 car is real nice...............the guy that did the decals is good

3. CobraBall

CobraBall
    from N. Texas

Newark, OH newspaper, Monday, May 4, 1964

"One Killed And Seven Injured At Three Ohio Race Track Mishaps"

Attached Files:

4. Mildsteel

Mildsteel
    from VALE N.C.

Great Pics keep them coming.

5. cars5752

cars5752

Absolutely awesome work. Thanks for sharing with us. -- Dave Hatcher

6. grumpy racer

grumpy racer
    from Indy

Josh that car is awesome I would really like to meet you some time. If you are ever at the local races and B. Puterbaugh jr is there in a 71 car please stop by and say high. I love the non caged cars wish I could find one to restore. Thanks for the photos Steve

7. Buildy

Buildy

Very Sharp Sprinter there,Josh!

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

1964, in general, was one of those particularly bad years with a lot of guys killed, maimed and hurt.
    Of course it's impossible to say, and open to debate, but if Hulse wouldn't have got dinged up that day Mario probably wouldn't have got the D-V-L champ car ride and who knows how history would have been recorded....?

9. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Rootie, I think Stan Bowman had the DVL ride in '62 to replace Sachs who didn't want to campaign on the dirt anymore, then broke a spindle at terra haute... Next 1964, Brawner was looking at Maguire... was a major rumor, maybe factual. Enter mario

It was a horrid year no doubt. Lost Bill Horstmeyer at Springfield...

10. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

I've often read that Chris Economaki promoted Mario to Brawner and got him the job.

11. CincyKen

CincyKen

Carroll,
    I had lunch today with Ross Smith and we talked about both of the Oakey sprinters.
    I was wrong (again) when I said Oakey Draught was a lawyer. He was actually a "bookie" who was surrounded by lawyers !
    Ross loved to drive for Oakey because he would get 100% of the winnings if he won the feature and the parties that followed are legendary.
    He also pointed ut that Oakey was a very generous man to the people in the Lawrenceburg community. If someone needed a operation and could not afford it, Oakey paid the bill. Ross compared him to a modern day Robin Hood back then.

The good old days. How I wish I could go back in time...........
    Ken

12. ZOOOM

ZOOOM

Gawd, that 48 is georgious! I'm in awe.
    The quality and workmanship is unbelievable.
    Congrats.
    AWSOME!

ZOOOM

13. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Ken, thanks for posting that interesting info on Oakey. Below are a couple of photos of his later 1967 Ron Ward car, built up by Andy Dunlop. Photos from Salem rainout, 8 Oct 67. Arnie Knepper, Ed Molketin and Russ Congdon drove it in USAC that season.

Attached Files:

14. racer5c

racer5c

Thats what a race car should look like, thats what a trailer should look like the only thing missing is the station wagon to pull it with

15. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

I agree! If you look closely you will see Oakey towed it with his Cadillac. Maybe cooler than a station wagon!

Blacki-Suede

16. sprintfreak

sprintfreak

Hey guys i'm new at posting so bear with me please. I finished restoring a79 stanton sprinter and i am looking for a certain style hood for this car. I thought someone could help.

Attached Files:

17. sprintfreak

sprintfreak

Here are a couple pis of car before and after. The car is not painted back original because I can't find pics.It was built for bobby unser jr. who raced it a couple years before the car was sold to bill roynon of tampa who used to drive a midget for bobby sr. on ocassion. Bill drove it a while then sold it to lee parker also in tampa who had drivers such as allen barr, dick byerly,jimmy alvis , darrin miller and dave scarborough to drive for him. The car had a powder blue frame with red white and blue body and was # 92. But lee liked the black,blues and yellow colors so that's what i did. Also if anyone might have some pics of this car with the 92 paint job that would be great. Thanks for letting me ramble.

Attached Files:

18. sprintfreak.....I stood alongside the red, white, and blue #92 when B. Unser, Jr. had it at the '77 Western World at Manzy. Sorry.....I didn't take any pictures. :(

19. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Couldn't find anything in color but this would be from around 1977/8. FWIW-

Attached Files:

20. wynns #1

wynns #1

Hi Sprintfreak,
    Welcome aboard. Does speedway motors offer anything similar?.
    Hey Macmiller, can you help?

21. sprintfreak

sprintfreak

Hey ROOTIE thanks for the pic. that car was the diaz car he ran just before he got the stanton. It looks like the stanton from the side but the head rest bars come down like a v instead of an A like the stanton.

22. sprintfreak

sprintfreak

Here is a pic of that car at golden gate in tampa in 77 I think. I was born and raised in tampa and was at golden gate speedway every weekend. I sure do miss that place.

Attached Files:

23. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Very sad day today.... One of the truely great gentlemen of the sport has died.

RIP:( Bob Higman

24. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  25. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Thank you, Mac. Although I'm very sorry to hear it. I heard from Judy Ates this morning that he was in bad shape.

I recall one night when Ed Watson called and asked if he could bring Bob with him to the midget race at IRP that night. I told him of course, and I took Bob around the pit area in a golf cart, then took him to the press center where he could sit by Ed. After the program, back to the pits so he could see all his old friends again.

He said he was surprised that we took care of "oldsters," and I told him we were all gonna be that way someday, and this was a resource we had to recognize. He was welcome anytime. Remembering nights like that, I wish I had carried a tape recorder with me more often.

RIP, Bob.

26. racer5c

racer5c

Bob was the best! He helped so many people including me, if you needed parts he let you take them and pay him as much as you could each week, My longtime car owner Gene Crucean found Bob a couple days ago in his home and he was having trouble breathing and was unresponsive, Gene Called 911 and got him to the hospital. Bob's grandaughter called me tonight with the bad news. I'm going to miss him, he was an innovator, from his Cosworth Vega powered Midgets to the wedge car with the chevy v 6 that Ken Schraeder won with at Phoenix. His cars weren't always pretty but they were ALWAYS fast! RIP Bob I'm sure Pat is there to greet you

27. Bob Higman -

It was through this thread i got the crazy idea to call and see if he was still working with Ross steering boxes. I had no idea he was so accomplished, and yet so easy to talk to. --Norm Hall and the "Nuthin Special" Kuzma (former Agajanian Special-1960)-Bobs special tubing bender(steel rack), Nelson Stewart taking his date to see Bob, backroom Indy deals, bailing Buzz Barton out of jail to get to his wedding.

It was truly, sincerely, one of the best conversations I have had in a long time.

28. That is the "Opperman" style hood, and yes, Speedway still carries them.

29. Sorry, I started a new page---

let us remember Bob Higman

[​IMG]