Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who here has got rodded a T motor?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J Man, Jan 12, 2010.

1. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

looking for advice and suggestions on rodding a T motor.

2. Put a post in the monthly Banger thread AND look on NWVS.org- a great site!

... of course, NOW I look and see that you've been around for a while J Man :rolleyes::D

3. Fenders

Fenders

We've seen plenty of rodded A engines but I can't recall a rodded T motor... I'm looking forward to photos !!!

4. DrJ

DrJ

5. Ice man

Ice man

A friend has one, saw it today. Roadster Pk Up 27, Counter balanced crank, modern dizzy, single throat down draft hot head, and runs hard. It runs faster the front end can handle. Hes older then me and I'm 71 and just got a speeding ticket in the old girl (70). I can get pictures, but Sam's the man. Iceman

6. BRENT in 10-uh-C

BRENT in 10-uh-C

I think it all depends on what your ambitions are with the engine. You can definitely go from mild to wild depending on your budget. My daughter's Model T runs pretty quick and it is a fairly basic engine with a Stipe cam, alum. high compression head, electronic ign. in a Bosch 009 distributer, plus a few others mods. Her car is the orange boat-tail. You can follow the build pix here

Now my son is building a '12 speedster (the year he will graduate H/S) which will be a cross between a modern street rod (with billet covers & oil pan :eek: ) and a traditional style car. It is a T engine but has an 'A' crankshaft, VW pressurized oiling, a hand-made dual-ign flathead, major Z-ed frame with a majorly dropped front axle and a Ruckstell two-speed rear axle. It will have disc brakes and a 'rack' for steering. I would show pictures but it probably wouldn't be that welcome here, plus he is wanting to debut the car and try for some magazine coverage so we are moving along kinda "stealth" with it at this moment.

Now if you want to see a street rodded Model T, ....Chuck & Pam Smith's 1913 speedster (red one) is one-trick ride. It also 'hauls the mail' fast enough to embarrass many "built" Model A/B bangers!! Let me see if I can remember a few details about the Smith's red rocket. It has four-wheel disc brakes using handmade rotors with Kawasaki motorcycle front calipers and Suburu rears that have a built-in emergency brake. The whole seat and turtle deck slides to adjust for the driver's height. It uses a Vega cross-steer box and shocks all around. Pressurized cooling system with a recovery tank since Chuck lives at high Colorado altitudes. Note the details like the all-wood turtledeck, the electronic speedometer pick-up, and the added linkage for the throttle and spark control. Check out the finish on all of the running gear and the engine parts. BTW, Chuck is a NHRA tech inspector too.

Maybe this is a little inspiration for you....

Attached Files:

7. flyin-t

flyin-t

The engine in my old T.

Aluminum pistons, Chevy valves, adjustable lifters, high compression head. Built the headers and an intake manifold for it and ran a Model A carb, Bosch dist. Stock crank and splash oil.
    It would cruise and keep up with traffic on the freeway, but you couldn't stop it with the outside brakes.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  8. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

9. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Here are some pics of a hot rodded T being built. Another flathead T powered streamliner went 166.264 at Bonneville this year. Turbocharged on fuel. Hows that?

Attached Files:

10. 28dreyer

28dreyer
    from Minnesota

Rich...I know this can't be yours. Are you exerting any soft persuasion to get rid of the carbatooties that are perched there?

This looks like a simple project right up your alley.

11. oldpaint

oldpaint

These guys came through Northwood IA, and I got some pics. Don't remember the name of the group but they were some neat cars.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  12. oldpaint

oldpaint

I try loading more...

Attached Files:

13. This guy did... not a regular HAMBer (wish he was), but has had lots of threads/posts-

Attached Files:

14. oldpaint

oldpaint

Couple more...

Attached Files:

15. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

The banger meets are usually geared toward A motors and I had to leave for work so I did not have time for a search so i thought I would post up a new thread.. Now I just need the time to read it all. Keep it coming though everyone.

16. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The owner of that T is on the HAMB. I expect him to post an update here. He has the intake he likes. Here is a picture of the intake for my T comtempory. A '15-'26 Dodge. Could be done to fit a T.

Attached Files:

17. flyin-t

flyin-t

18. wayneat

wayneat

The T engine with the Weber carbs is not progressing well. Other projects got in the way. But I will get back on it later.

19. wayneat

wayneat

These cars in Northwood, Iowa are part of the annual FAST speedmeet held each year about September 11. We usually have folks from 6 or 7 states. After these pictures were taken we drove to the airport for a "flat" hillclimb. (we don't have many hills in this part of Iowa). Everyone is invited to the event. We have a great time.

20. SUHRsc

SUHRsc

I'm very slowly working on one......
    [​IMG]

21. Zach,

Have you heard from Coaltownkid lately? He was starting to put that T Sprinter together, but haven't seen anything from him lately.

wayneat,

Thanks for posting! Have you ever done any work on early Chevrolet 4's?

22. wayneat

wayneat

No I have not. I have thought about it over the years, but just never got around to it. I looked for an Olds 3 port head for awhile, but was not successful.

23. Was lucky enough to pick up a 3 port head on the way home from Hershey and am in the process of tearing down my spare engine.

I've been able to get some great information from some fellow HAMBers and from writeups of older builds like the Bob Rufi engine. Hopefully I can get some time to start a thread on the build.

24. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

I dig the Winfield 2 up 2 down pics!

25. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Here is a pic of my Dad and I's Rajo powered T speedster. Sorry no pic of the motor. We took it apart and put everything back on the shelves because we needed the engine stand. :(
    [​IMG]

26. That's a great start- keep us posted!

27. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Anyone care to share specs on their motors?

28. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

Bubba, I have drooled over the pictures of your cars too many times. What was done to your motor to obtain the 65 mph speeds?

29. hotrod8

hotrod8

you should get over to newport in. this fall for the antique car hillclimb..they have a special class for modified Ts

30. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

I would like to go, wether or not I make it is another thing.