Register now to get rid of these ads!

carpet would be nice.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DetroitBilt50, Apr 18, 2006.

1. DetroitBilt50

DetroitBilt50
    from detroit

i need some carpet for my 51 shoebox coupe. but it has a different tunnel. anyone lay their own? hows it look? where to look for it? all i can find is pre cut kits. thanks for any info .

2. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

I bought a roll of cheap black for $20 at a swap meet. I made it two pieces. The back half layed over the hump nice, I needed to cut a slit in the front so it would fold over the tunnel, but it looks good. I've got some cheap floor mats to keep from wearing a hole in it, but you could probably find some better stuff and do the same.

3. nsidemn

nsidemn

Carpet 101

I could explain it, but pictures work better!

Measure and cut carpet. Usually around 72" for most cars. A 36" to 40" width works best. Start by folding carpet in half and placing on center hump.
    56 vicky 010.jpg

Make shure the sides stay seated down on sides of hump.
    56 vicky 011.jpg 56 vicky 013.jpg

Measure to enshure enough length folded to reach firewall pad.
    56 vicky 012.jpg

Mark a upside down "T" at hump center. And two lines down each side. Cut carpet directly up center, then down each side mark.
    56 vicky 014.jpg 56 vicky 015.jpg

Fold carpet back againt toeboards and lay in place. Tuck upper hump tunnel pieces behind lower hump section. Some trimming of excess will help. Make shure corners are seated again, and carpet is flat and smooth. One side flap will need to be cut directly up the center hump and placed over top of the other as pictured. Mark all edges with chalk, including alighnment marks for sewing.
    56 vicky 016.jpg 56 vicky 017.jpg

Mark and cut around pedals, dimmer, ect. Now is the time to locate and mark a heel pad as well.
    56 vicky 018.jpg 56 vicky 019.jpg

The rear is marked in a similar manner.
    56 vicky 020.jpg 56 vicky 022.jpg 56 vicky 023.jpg

It is now removed and trimmed for sewing. This picture shows how much to cut out for sewing. A 1/2" seam allowance must be left or carpet will be to short.
    56 vicky 026.jpg

Continued......

Attached Files:

4. nsidemn

nsidemn

Continued;

This is what the carpet should look like when trimmed with correct seam allowance.
    56 vicky 027.jpg 56 vicky 031.jpg

The marks should line up when sewn.
    56 vicky 028.jpg 56 vicky 032.jpg

An edge binding is sewn on all exposed edges for finish and to protect the edges from fraying.
    56 vicky 029.jpg

Reinstall and glue down in position. Should look good!!
    56 vicky 033.jpg

Thanks, and I hope this helps, Roy.:)

P.S. Have pictures of custom floor matts using the same carpet if your interested.:rolleyes:

5. FONZI

FONZI

Great post!

THANKS

6. fatluckys

fatluckys

Nice write up! I couldn't have said it any better.

7. DetroitBilt50

DetroitBilt50
    from detroit

wow nsidemn!! i wasnt expecting that much . thank you for a awesome post! now its time to get sum carpet.

8. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

Great tech. THANKS.

I'd like to see the floormat tech too.

9. nsidemn

nsidemn

Floor Matts!

These are really eeasy to make and really add a lot to your interior. You are going to need about a yard more carpet, ussually 24" to 28" in front and 12" to 16" in rear.

Rough cut the size desired and place on floor. Draw around with a piece of chalk and trim.
    56 vicky 034.jpg

After you have your desired shape, the carpet is glued to a heavy nipple backed runner. Both pieces need to be glued very well and allowed to tack up or dry to touch. Then they are rolled with a heavy roller to achieve best bond.
    56 vicky 035.jpg 56 vicky 036.jpg 56 vicky 038.jpg

Trim the rubber to match your carpet and then trim about an inch of the nibs from the backside. This gives a flat area to sew the edge binding on.
    56 vicky 039.jpg 56 vicky 040.jpg

A heel pad can bee glued and sewn on for extra protection, and they look better. This heel pad is a medium size. They are made smaller (which I prefer in rods) and larger.
    56 vicky 041.jpg 56 vicky 046.jpg

Just a peek at the outside of this sweet Vicky. Roy.:)
    56 vicky 002.jpg

10. bobx

bobx
    from Indiana

excellent post.

thanks

11. elleka

elleka

Wow, great tutorial. Is that automotive carpet, or???

12. nsidemn

nsidemn

Yes, it is automotive carpet. And thanks, hope it has helped many. Roy.:)