Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1965 Dodge Coronet A990 Hemi clone project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mysunnshine, Aug 7, 2009.

1. mysunnshine

mysunnshine
    from The Desert

It's been a while but it's time for an update. The motor is getting machined as we speak, the glass is in, and it's going out next week to get the carpet put in. Hopefully it'll be running in January...WooHoo...... Big smokies coming up-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. That is a great looking Mopar..........I can hear that elephant roar down the 1320.......

3. mysunnshine

mysunnshine
    from The Desert

Here's a couple more-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. ro51_hemi

ro51_hemi
    from York,Pa

5. vernmotor

vernmotor
    from ohio

Love them old mopar's !!

6. Greezy

Greezy

Absolutely beautiful car.

7. The Shocker

The Shocker

I dig it .Old Mopars are the shit ,but im a little biased...

8. daliant

daliant

9. ratstar

ratstar

Simply amazing car. I love the whole thing.

10. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Coming out real nice. Yellow sounds bad but on this car it looks GREAT.

11. 66Coronet440

66Coronet440

This thing is so bad ass! Any updates? Do you plan to modify the grille to single lights for the super stock look?

12. mysunnshine

mysunnshine
    from The Desert

The short block is assembled now so just the heads and valvetrain has to be assembled. Our engine builder just had to schedule a cruise trip this week so it will not get fully assembled until next week unless the bossman decided to assemble the rest himself. The transmission is getting built as we speak also. We're going to run it on the run-in stand first before it goes into the car so we had to cut apart a converter to scab the ring gear off of it. I'll see if I can post up some more pics tomorrow of the progress-

As for the grill mod, yea...It'll get modified sometime later when he collects more parts(extra headlight tins). But for now it'll be left as-is.

13. 911response

911response
    from S Cal

Here's my 65

Attached Files:

14. LowA100

LowA100

15. 4406

from Oklahoma

16. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Your officially obligated to keep this thread going until it makes a pass (or 20:)). Utube of the fireup is also highly recommended along with any dyno breakin time.

Frank

17. mysunnshine

mysunnshine
    from The Desert

Yea, but the dyno break-in in is boring. I will try to get somebody to film the power runs though. Yesterday we screwed with the spark plug wires for most of the day. The "pre-cut" plug wires fit for crap and looked even worse so he built his own so he could route them where he wanted them along with changing the wire end at the dist to straight to kinda replicate the "stock" distributor look. The dual-sync distributor was taken apart, bead blasted, then clear coated to give it a dull aluminum finish to make it blend in a little more. I'll take some pics when I get to work of the motor. That thing is looking good and it's HUGE too!!

18. mysunnshine

mysunnshine
    from The Desert

Here's the motor together. Without looking closely, you would never know it's fuel infected-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Very, Very cool induction setup. Good to see a hemi not dripping with chrome.

20. Some fake fuel lines/MOPAR filters would complete the disguise.

21. mysunnshine

mysunnshine
    from The Desert

Yea, I hear ya on that. We'll eventually get a pair of carbs and seal off all of the fuel and air holes and use those instead as the air valves. That way the putists will really be fooled-

22. blackmopar

blackmopar
    from fallbrook

+1 - that looks real sweet - man I miss my 66!!!!

23. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

24. SteadyT

SteadyT

25. mysunnshine

mysunnshine
    from The Desert

lol-

26. Commando66

Commando66

The car looks great. The correct looking Hemi is awesome. SO much better than a crappy looking crate motor. The Cragars are nice too.

27. Love it! I agree, hide the FI in some carbs and put some Ma Mopar air cleaners on it, (or just some Ma Mopar air cleaners modified with a drop base)There is a local guy with a stash of Hemi's and Hemi cars around here..... He has a shag-nasty Hemi 64 Belvedere that gives me wood everytime it rolls into the local cruise spot on a sunday afternoon........

James

28. mysunnshine

mysunnshine
    from The Desert

It's time for another update. The motor is now completely assembled and put on the run-in stand for start-up. We ended up having to rebuild the fuel rails from scratch because the heli-arc put too much heat into the cromo and it developed cracks which leaked the fuel. They are now braized and all is good..... With the motor on the stand and a torque converter cut apart to use only the ring gear off of it, it time to get this thing ready to run. With a little programming, it fired right up and revs up like a sprint car motor. So far so good. Now it's time to put it in the car. The last one is a video-
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a300/mysunnshine/1965 Coronet/?action=view&current=DSCN2583.flv

29. mysunnshine

mysunnshine
    from The Desert