Register now to get rid of these ads!

**The Hi Lo Hustler** Dragster build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51box, Dec 25, 2009.

1. freebird101

freebird101

2. pompadour

pompadour

How will the throttle linkage work?

3. 51box

51box
    from MA

Rob has it all figured out, it's going to be interesting.

4. wicked willys

wicked willys
    from ne ohio

5. Very Nice!!!

How much HP can the little three speed take?

6. Nice Project, thanks for posting the progress.....

7. 51box

51box
    from MA

Kerry I'm not sure exactly what these 3 spds can handle. There are a few cars up here running them one being ChurchKeys fiat that will wheelie no problem. They were used in 58-64 big Chevys and the novas used the same trans but it had a long tailshaft. The one I have that is all painted up is very nice inside, the other thing is launching in 2nd gear probably helps these things live longer. It is only 16 inches long , so works out perfect for getting the engine right up to the firewall.

8. I picked one of those up when I was planning on having a much milder engine. A few people warned me about them being weak but I figured in the light car it'd be fine with the hp I was planning on making. Problem is I've gotten carried away on the engine a bit and will be making more hp than originally planned.

I've wimped out and setup a shorty th350 to go behind the hemi in my digger. I'd really rather go with a cad/LaSalle box. I figure I can switch when I blow up the th350. :)

I originally planned on building a TE440 but changed my mind to the Dragmaster Dart style.

9. Church Key

Church Key

These transmissions work great if you know how to use them. I have run this same trans for ten years, with no problems. The key is a good shifter, with positive stops. These trans had a bad rap in passenger cars, with column shifters. If you speed shifted from 1st to 2nd, the gears could lockup. In the dragster application, we run second and high. As long as you use the clutch, a slight tap on pedal the pedal, and a fast shift, it will last a long time. I have seen pictures from the old days, where they were used in blown gas dragsters and altereds, so if you treat them right they are a good little transmission.

10. Gasser1961

Gasser1961
    BANNED

11. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

You could also do this conversion and run a Ford open Drive retainer ,,would take up less room ,,also check on those transmissions used in commercial vehicles,then tended to have shorter tailshaft housings

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=435363

also there is a super short one for T-85 3 speed.

[​IMG]

12. Church Key

Church Key

Yes... There are other transmission that will work. I am familiar with the Muncie 3 speeds, and they work great for our application. Like Joe said: They are only 16" long, and are a bolt in for the dragsters, no machining needed.

13. 150J/F

150J/F

Looks like it will be fun.

14. wicked willys

wicked willys
    from ne ohio

great build. keep up the good work

15. fitzee

fitzee

Seeing something like this make you want to build one. Where can you get specs on the frame?

16. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

The frames are very affordable and can be shipped.

Keep up the progress Joe, sorry I didn't get a chance to call you back at noon, I knew you were working so I figured I'd see you tomorrow anyways.

Post progress pics!!!

17. 51box

51box
    from MA

I need a sbc scattershield not cut up, PM me Thanks, Joe

18. pompadour

pompadour

19. a coupe

a coupe

if the neibors think it sucks living nextdoor to us now wait till they get a load of this!!

20. pompadour

pompadour

21. 51box

51box
    from MA

Thanks for posting the pics matt, we have quite a bit of progress done. Finished up the brake set up using an AA shift handle with a little reshape, came out really nice feels sturdy. Next up made the 2-3 shift lever with a nice slide and wedge welded right to the top of the housing, made up a T handle, it shifts so smooth I'm going to make up a stop for it so you can really slam 3rd. Slid the axles in and threw the rear wheels on to put it on the ground to have a look, it's starting to look like something now. It's a really cool feeling slipin down in there having the tires right next to you. Next up is the fuel tank and probably the seat after that. I'll keep the pics coming as we make progress.

22. a coupe

a coupe

i love this thing!

23. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Wait till it's running and you're pulling up to the starting line and looking at those rear tires right beside you. There is nothing finer than sitting behind that engine.Especially when it's winding at the other end. :D

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  24. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

25. Babar40

Babar40
    from Florida

Does "shot out of a cannon" sound about right? Super nice job!

26. this is shaping up awesome....were gonna have to make a trip up north and run you guys with our lyndwood!..those 3 speeds will handle power in a rail just fine...ive wound one pretty tight in our B Comp sedan...
    get ready to stab and steer, flat shift that bitch into high gear, pull the chute ring in the lights and get a handful of brake! You all have the right idea, hopefully others will see the same flame we do...this rail is killer...

T.H.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2010
  27. 51box

51box
    from MA

Hell ya eastcoast sounds good, hopefully I'll have mine done for this season. There are quite a few old rails and altereds that run up in Maine at winterport and oxford on the nostalgia days.

28. Man that thing is very cool! What a ride that will be!!!

But I do have a question, based on how Scott was sitting in it!! Uh is the driver going to be a wearing a BALL PLATE? Maybe a kelar cup? haha Am I the only one worried about that? haha

29. chaddilac

chaddilac

This thing is beautiful... but isn't the link under the rearend a little redundant since the axle is solid mounted to the frame?

30. Redundent is a good thing in a slingshot. I believe one of the Christman's had a rear bracket brake allowing the pumpkin to rotate into his manhood!!!!!
    Can anyone confirm my old memory?