Register now to get rid of these ads!

Got any creative ways to run fuel line...?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by robby5323, Jan 12, 2010.

1. robby5323

robby5323

I am needing to run some fuel line from the pump up to the carb on a Chevy 327. Looking for creative or unusual ideas on ways to plumb it up.

2. terd ferguson

terd ferguson

This should be good. I'm about to do the same thing on King Of Trucks.

3. I got some 3/8 aluminum tubing. I usually just bend it to fit and lad it with a little bit of neoprene line on both ends. Its not creative I guess but its clean and it works.

4. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

not quite sure how creative you can get with 3 feet of distance to go...lol bend like a crazy straw?

5. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

How about be creative and just do a nice job of routing it. Use a quality product. No spider webs, iron crosses, or other such nonsense.

6. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i like to keep the engine compartment clean looking so if it was me i would run it from the pump under the headders buy the pan and bring it back up from the rear.just my 2c.

7. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

That's form over function. Not really down with that. Uneeded length. Running it under headers for no reason. Just take the damn thing up the front and do a nice job. The more length you add the more trouble you're asking for. The more heat to get pulled into the fuel. K.I.S.S.

8. robby5323

robby5323

I haven't thought of that... I am just trying to think out of the box on this and I was coming up blank... Thanks for the idea.

9. Rain_man

Rain_man

ill take some pics off mine.nothing rad just simple.got the job done.im thinking about moving tank to rear so might have to take it all out and start over .

10. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

yes but dont we all try to go that extra mile to make our cars look nice?i have taken days smoothing out firewalls filling holes and rerouting wires just to make everything look {clean}how many people {including myself}will take an extra 1/2 hour to run your plugwires so they are all in aline and not crossed?or will go the extra mile to cut and make there own just so you dont have a whole bunch of extra wire?

11. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

unless you want to bend the line and write some thing like GM etc.in the bends there isnt much you can do.as stated earlyer cleaner is better in my opp.

12. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Big difference on the plug wires, that actually serves a purpose. and yes I try to keep the wiring clean, but that also serves a purpose. Running the fuel line longer and out of the way actually creates problems. Form needs to follow function. There is a big difference.

13. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

I have a thing for the old glass sediment bowl filters. They look old but work well and you can spot or eliminate a fuel problem in a heartbeat. I'm constantly looking for old tubing fittings. The old ones were usually cast brass and not the CNC machined fittings that we find today. The new ones can be prettied up with a grinder. Getting rid of the sharp machined edges makes a big difference.

[​IMG]

old hot rod fuel blocks or custom home made blocks are cool.

[​IMG]

Old thumbscrew hose clamps are great period additions. Anything but those screwdriver stainless hose clamps. I recently bought some reproduction 60s Ford spring hose clamps to use on my 60s build. It's all in the details.

[​IMG]

I made this one to mimic the Ford 406 fuel block.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  14. bruceg

bruceg
    from NWATL

I can help you do it wrong! I tried flaring fuel line, it was bad. Then I tried buying pre-flared line and running it. I always seem to bend the wrong way. Gotta do better figuring left and right, lol. And not crimping the fuel line by bending it at too tight an angle.

I hate to admit how many lengths of steel line I hacked up. It sure doesn't look hard, but I've yet to do a good job (except when I simply went straight up and over the valve cover and down to the carb).

If you wanna know how to do it ugly and wrong, I'm your guy.

15. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i dont think another 2ft of fuel line is going to make any diff.also dont alot of people put there battery in trunk or under car.YES.why?to clean up the engine compartnent.this puts strain on the battery wire and starter!shouldnt we all put a moon tank up front to hold the gas that way its closer to the pump which is better and easyer for the pump?

16. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

you can also use copper line which is easyer to bend and you can polish it up real nice.

17. nutajunka

nutajunka

The main thing no matter how you do it is to keep it away from heat sources.

18. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Surely the dickster will speak up soon with some crazy fuel line installations!

19. billibob1980

billibob1980

Polished copper fuel lines... Yummy~!

20. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You got the battery thing wrong, putting the battery in the trunk is to move the weight and not to pretty the engine compartment. And in a race car that is exactly why the moon tank is there. Maybe you need to go read some. :eek:

Yeah, like under headers and next to the engine for an extended length. :rolleyes:

21. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Creative for me would be to use something other than usual.
    Blown glass? I saw one with glass tubes connected with rubber hose and clamps. Didn't turn me on, but something a lot better could be done using neon tube fabrication techniques, cleaner and more innovative.

I prefer hard metal lines, but it seems tempered glass would be just as (safe) as rubber hoses.

22. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

yes you are right for a race car!!but i dont think the people with full int.steel running boards ac.and cruse control give two craps about moving ballast in the trunk!!!!if they are worried about weight they would get ride of the radiator put a 2 gallon cell in it take all the int. out.buy all glass body panels get ride of the alt.fill the block and run alcohal.also the put the moon tank up front so the fuel will gravity feed into the mechanical fuel injection pump!!!maybe you need to read some of the crap your typing!!!!