Register now to get rid of these ads!

so we used Lacquer paint...look what HAPPENED!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terry O, Jan 10, 2010.

1. The Duplicolor lacquer is already reduced! That works out to not being such a good deal, in fact rather expensive. I guess it is a user friendly product available in most truck colors from the last twenty years.

2. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

Duplicolor paint is called Paint Shop and is available in a number of places. I have bought it at Auto Zone. It costs about $20 a qt and yes,it is already mixed,ready to spray. They have several different colors but selection is limited. I suppose that you could mix colors together to get what you are looking for. I have not tried this but will the next time I use it. I painted a chopper that I am building with it and it turned out rather good,especially when you consider that I painted it out in my driveway. ;)

3. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

The gas cap is frenched into the rear panel.
    Jimmy White

4. And smells even better!

5. mstewart3410@comcast.net

[email protected]

@ 50degrees 20 minutes@70DEGREES3minues, depending on the speed of the thinner used.

6. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

Man that looks good. I haven't sprayed lacquer in a few years. But I don't miss the work LOL .........

7. american opel

american opel
    from ohio

i always liked useing lacquer paint because its soooo forgiving.it always seems to layout great.and if you get a run its easy to sand and fix.also if you get a scratch or ding scuff shoot ,buff and you will never see it.you should be very proud,your car looks great!!!!

8. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Wan'na talk more shit, if that's an issue with you, help me keep my post count down, send me a pm.

Grandpa liked his post count to be about 400 per mile for sheep fence, 330 for cows.:D

Does your boss know what you're telling your his potential customers?

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  9. chaddilac

chaddilac

Looks great.... two more swipes and the fender well would have been painted too!

10. 26trackt

26trackt

Terry,
    That looks great. Like many here, I've ben in the Autobody industry for years. Started with laquer & changed just like everyone else. The pros & cons for either or are endless. Laquer is pretty great & appropriate for car guys. Dispite the obvious advantages of 2k products; they were not developed for us. Production get them in & get them out shops are the 2k market. Old or new; we all have our specific wants & needs.

11. hemi coupe

hemi coupe
    from so-cal

Already been covered, read the whole post.
    Jimmy White

12. Exactly! Same here and I STILL use Lacquer whenever possible. Many of the pieces I did back in the '70s are still around and still look good.

Heavy applications (such as 'flake jobs) did tend to crack and pop off, especially in our radical climate here in the midwest, and fiberglas/plastic bodies ALWAYS present issues, but normal jobs and those with light coats of clear held up very well.

13. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

The car looks great. Can't wait to see it done.

Ignore the guy, he's an idiot and keeps this shit up in every thread he posts on. Let him tell you about his show quality paint jobs for $300 in materials. He's just a lonely old guy that thinks he knows it all, but is to stupid to realize when he is wrong...

14. 39 All Ford

39 All Ford
    from Benton AR

In my experience when something looks that good, it is ripe to get messed up.

That is ALWAYS on my mind when something turns out near perfect in the early stages.. :D

15. B Lawrence

B Lawrence
    from Ham.

Terry..AWSUME...(Passion -Plan -Talent = 110% ) Can"t wait to see it together. Good luck at the GNRS. Nice car.....Brian

16. I love lacquer and it isn't as nasty as the new stuff.
    It is a shame that some need to engage in personal attacks having nothing to do with the topic.

17. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Don't get lulled into a false sense of security with it. It is just as nasty. There is a reason it is much harder to get these days.

18. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Question. Did you shoot it with an HVLP gun? Or an older style paint gun?

19. Racewriter

Racewriter

Yep. My Granddad told me once that you could shoot a car in lacquer from a Windex bottle if you had enough patience to color sand it and buff it.

Lacquer positives:

1. Easy to shoot, easy to work with.

2. Much less likely to KILL YOU GRAVEYARD DEAD.

3. Depth of color that you just can't get any other way.

4. Apparently, based on that "paint for cars" website, it's as cheap as the Summit/Eastwood single stage paints.

Lacquer negatives:

Might not last as long as current paint - which gives you a reason to give the ol' car another look.

I may lacquer my Charger. Used to love shooting lacquer because it was so hard to F up. After the new stuff came online, I've done a lot less painting because of the equipment needs and the hazards involved. I recently got a quote just to shoot my Charger, and I'm still cleaning the crap outta my underwear.

Time to go old school....

20. rgaller

rgaller

Yep, if you lived in an area with larger temperature swings.

21. rgaller

rgaller

Sorry, not trying to be a negative nancy. Just offering my opinion, even though it isn't a popular one.

22. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

uhhh.. WRONG! There was/is toluene in laquer paints. If the exposure is at a low-level then the kidneys and nerves can be damaged, at higher levels exposure can lead to permanent brain damage as well. IT IS JUST AS DANGEROUS. Always use a mask and work in a well ventilated area.

23. The only thing I use is lacquer because I can shoot it in my driveway and it's idiot proof. Once the color coat covers solid, I start reducing subsequent coats with clear; 50/50, 25/75, 10/90, then 100% clear. I usually do 2 wet coats of clear in case I need to color sand. Unless you're going to leave the car oustide, and never wax or take care of the finish, it should last for years. Besides, it has "the look" that you just can't get with BC/CC...

24. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

i haven't had a boss for forty years. i'll leave you alone now so you get something done on your nash. nice talking with you!:confused:

25. Terry O

Terry O

Are you children done interrupting the grown-ups now? If you want to flex your keyboards Private Message your taunts and let us enjoy what we are here for. Every thread lately has to have drama.

Terry

26. RUDOG

RUDOG

lol! Well said Terry!...Drama gives you ulcers...

27. RUDOG

RUDOG

I forgot! any photos of the painted Chassis yet?...or do we have to wait till GNRS?...

28. Cochino

Cochino

Thanks for sharing and can't wait to see it all together! Good luck!

29. retromotors

retromotors

Well HELL, so that's my problem .....!!! :eek:

30. hoof22

hoof22
    Member Emeritus

The job looks super! All this talk about lacquer reminds me-anybody recall the DuPont Lacquer system, Lucite with 580 Enamel clear? Oh man! Great stuff, painted dozens of restorations with that system, easy to apply, forgiving as hell, and real slick finish-couldn't ask for more...never had a comeback or a failure. Also shot lots of lacquer single stage-with great results... Then, the BAAQMB stepped in and made sure we couldn't use it CA, (or the Bay Area at least), anymore.
    All the new BC/CC systems, they are a bit harder to work with, but I also got great results with most of them, guess it come down to just personal experience, and personal preference-but I still think there's nothing like a well executed lacquer show quality paint job!!

hoof22