Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remove a pilot bushing the easy way

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old beet, Jan 11, 2010.

1. old beet

old beet

Make a wooden dowel just large enough to fit inside the bushing. Pack bushing with peanut butter (can use grease, but don't taste as well) install dowel, hit with BFH! Bingo its out!!

2. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

PB is a great sub for the grease! Instead of half an hour cleaning up grease spatter in amazing places, you just call the dog! That's thinking!

38fordpickup likes this.
  3. CruiseOrDie

CruiseOrDie
    from Cincy, OH

PB?

I'll stick with the old "wet bread". Definitely a LOT easier to clean up.

4. timothale

timothale

I use peanut butter on mouse traps. I try to keep mice away from the shop ! Peanut butter for the apetizer, seat cushions to make a new nest,

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

You would never believe how much wet wadded up Toilet Paper you can fit in that hole ! :eek:

(OK guys you know what I am talking about):D

6. would that be single or 2-ply?:rolleyes::D

7. mtkawboy

mtkawboy

It works, I used peanut butter in the pits at the Indy Nationals in 72 to remove one from an F/G 58 Corvette. I had a dummy input shaft though but wood will work just fine.

8. Make sure your engine doesn't use a crank with a plug that's pressed in the end of the hole behind the pilot bushing before using this type of method. You might end up with quite the oil leak otherwise!

9. old4dlvr

old4dlvr

If the crank doesnt have a plug in it then you can use a tap [about 5/8]. Thats if it has a bush in it. Wouldnt work with a roller bearing.

10. markjenks

markjenks

If I don't care about how it looks when I get it out, I just grab a 3-4" bolt that just doesn't fit into the hole, and thread it right into the bushing.

When the bolt bottoms out, the bushing will just walk itself out since it's in the threads.

-Mark

11. Ya might try dryer sheets instead of terlet paper....
    Just a thought

12. Minor Problem

Minor Problem

A piece of bread also works well,and no mess!!

13. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

am I the only one who has the slide hammer tool for removing these?

J&JHotrods likes this.
  14. medicinal_marinara

medicinal_marinara
    from Oregon

Play doh is even less messy than any of the other choices. A slide hammer only works if the bushing isn't bottomed out in the bore.

onetrickpony likes this.
  15. HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM

HOLLYWOOD GRAHAM
    from Ojai,Ca

Man, I hope that's peanut butter on the toilet paper.

16. Harms Way

Harms Way

You probably borrowed it from the guy that had to come up with all these tricks.:D I can see him now, walking around the garage, scratching his head and saying to himself "where the heck did I put that thing?" ,... I guess I'll have to figure out another way,... but it will have to wait till I get out of the bathroom,...... that peanut butter sam'ich I had for lunch went right through me ! :eek::eek: :D

17. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You have to have the slide hammer along with you to do it too. As Mtkawboy mentioned, there are times when you have to get innovative and quite often there is a jar of peanut butter around when there isn't a tub of wheel bearing grease or slide hammer or other tool to pull the bushing.

I've used a slide hammer but have also just filled the hole with the grease gun and used my "old input shaft/line up shaft" to get the bushing out with hydraulic pressure. A 2.5 lb hammer against a dowel or other shaft can put a lot of pressure on the back side of that bushing.

And sometimes when you are broke you want to save the bushing to put in another crank and pushing it out with grease or peanut butter doesn't tear up the bushing like a puller, tap or bolt will.

18. Is that creamy OR chunky style? :D

Oldmics

19. Harms Way

Harms Way

And it would be a lot more fun to watch ! :D

20. markjenks

markjenks

Am I the only one that threads in a bolt, bottoms it out in the crank, and just keep turning it to remove the bushing?

I saw it done a long time ago, and have been doing it that way ever since.

Or does it just work for me?

21. Larrysgarage

Larrysgarage
    from Palatka,Fl

guess its just not as much fun that way????

22. Mart

Mart

I used some grease and a close fitting shaft just the other day. Took a little while, but the bush came out perfectly re-usable.

23. tunes

tunes

I picked up that trick years ago from somewhere. I use grease and a metal rod that fits in the hole. I hadn't thought of the bolt method or the peanut butter.

24. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

An old timer at the local NAPA told me to use wet newspaper - works like a charm :)

25. air chisel seemed to work quick and easy for me.

26. Soreback

Soreback

I was just thinking the same thing:D

27. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

guess there are two of us.

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Three, but it does not always work. I have had a few that just would not budge that way. I even broke the tool on one.

Switched to the bolt-n-grease method and each popper right out. Ahh, the power of hydraulics.:D

29. chopped 35

chopped 35
    from australia

most vehicles i have had to remove a spigot bearing/bush from had just that , a bearing. never had much luck with the grease method of removal as some of the mid 70's ford pickups i work on have a roller bearing. because of this a good seal is not possible to hydraulic that sucker out. most times i'm doing a manual to auto swap anyway so the bearing is being discarded. my easy way is weld a nut onto the bearing, screw a bolt in till it bottoms and crank that thing outta there:D:D my 2 cents worth:cool::cool:

30. markjenks

markjenks

Pretty much what I do. I just find a bolt too big for the hole and thread it into the brass.

Comes out quick every time and straight. Never had one stick.

The nice part is, if you need to change it, you only have to pull the tranny back 10-12 inches to get the bushing out. I can't say I ever tried to "save one", why would you bother? They aren't gold!

-Mark