Register now to get rid of these ads!

Roadrace cars... vintage, nostalgia, historic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by zman, Dec 18, 2009.

1. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

1st race was at Sebring. Bob Tullius won the over in a Dart. Jochen Rindt in the under, I think in an Alfa.

2nd Race Mid America. Over was won in a Mustang (yuck :p) Tom Yeager, under again I think was an Alfa can't remember the driver though.

2. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

3. fordfrk

fordfrk

4. roadracer

roadracer

Roadracin's always been my passion (hence my screen name); here's the 55 that I purpose-built to be faster on the track than my GT40 replica that I sold to build this..

[​IMG]

More pics in my profile..

5. metalshapes

metalshapes

6. metalshapes

metalshapes

7. metalshapes

metalshapes

8. metalshapes

metalshapes

9. Pontiac Slim

Pontiac Slim
    Member Emeritus

10. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

11. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

My thoughts as well. Kinda like a lot of the new nostalgia cars. Old looking body with all new stuff underneath.

12. Warbird7

Warbird7

This is more like it. The Herb Adams built 1964 Tempest that ran in the 1971 Trans-Am against the factory Javelins and ex-factory Mustangs. Shockingly fast.

[​IMG]

13. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Bingo. Gary

14. ROADRAT EDDIE

ROADRAT EDDIE
    from New york

Hey Brian, you know what times that ran there....I used to run a tube-framed Mustang there before it closed and ran a best of 1:52

15. Scotch

Scotch

I love the classic road racers! The Can-Am and early Trans Am stuff is the coolest.

I run this at road courses, open road races, and autocrosses now:

Thanks to the HAMB's own Jangleguy for the autocross pic!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  16. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

Big block chevy in this over-sized go-kart!!

Attached Files:

17. Buford Solomon

Buford Solomon

Great thread, with wonderful photos. Makes me want to share a few shots I took back in the day--CanAm at Watkins Glen in 1969.

BS

Attached Files:

18. stude54ht

stude54ht
    from Spokane WA

old Bugatti

Attached Files:

19. This thing is just Beautiful! Nice job! ;)

20. zimm

zimm
    from iowa

this is cool keep em comin

21. Yes, please!

22. 37Nash

37Nash
    from East coast

Midair shortcut... I bet the landing wasn't as pretty as that shot! Thanks to all for the wonderfull pictures :)

23. indybigjohn

indybigjohn
    Member Emeritus

Don't get a chance to contribute to this thread much, but I enjoy looking at it. Those Corvette GTP photos reminded me that one day while I was news director at IRP, those folks rented the road course. I hustled over there with a camera...

[​IMG]

24. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Those Vette's are getting just a little to new... vintage, nostalgia, historic... more HAMB friendly roadrace cars are what we're looking for.

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Cheetah's are awesome...

26. Fiddytree

Fiddytree
    from Durango

Cheetah in the rain? that would take some attachments . . . .ah, but what a ride!

27. Buford Solomon

Buford Solomon

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5COWNERY%7E1.000%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Garamond; panose-1:2 2 4 4 3 3 1 1 8 3; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:roman; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:647 0 0 0 159 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:Garamond; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-bidi-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I've got a few hill-climb photos from 40 years ago. The climbs are still run by the PA Hill Climb Association, though a few of the venues have changed. The Duryea/Pagoda course is still used, but not Topton (the Alfa and Volvo shot there) or Hershey (the Tiger).

Until now, I never gave this any thought, but it occurs to me that a hill-climb is kind of a blend of road-racing and drag-racing. No competitor is in the next lane; you are racing against the clock. But you do accelerate just as fast as you can. The facts that you are running up a hill and negotiating turns just add to the interest.

I don't know how these events are run these days (I plan to hit a couple of them this summer), but I am sure spectators are more tightly corralled now than they were when I took these photos. At Topton, the denizens just sat in their front yards, right by the road/track. At Duryea, I sat on the inside of a hairpin turn and shot with a 35mm lens, so I was real close to the action.

One last thing. These are all pretty approachable, achievable racers for most of us.

Cheers,

BS

Attached Files:

28. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

1920's at Shelsley Walsh hill climb....you could get really close to the action

[​IMG]