Register now to get rid of these ads!

Oval trackers...stand up and be counted!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Junkyard Jan, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Ovalmeister

Ovalmeister

Kevin, you sound familiar and I see your photos from Whip City in Mass.
    I used to race there in the late 90's. I'm not sure if that's why your name sounds familiar. Kevin Weeks right?
    Not sure if my name rings a bell. David Ayers, I drove a red #75 sponsored by McDonalds. I used to come down every weekend from Maine. Those were some great times!
    David.

2. hotrodlarry

hotrodlarry

I've been involved in circle tracks all my life. Went to my first race when I was 5 weeks old and I'm 30 now. Over the past few years I have been on various pit crews and just recently I have been driving my own car. I race in a 4-cyl "Enduro" class at a couple of the local tracks. I took this year off to build a new car, but the last two years I finished top 10 in points at the track that is located here in town.

3. Oppy

Oppy

I have been raceing for about 4 years, first in hard tops, that was kool, know in a Sportsman.

Attached Files:

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I thought I would let everyone know the original poster of this thread is no longer with us,she passed away a little over a year ago but she would probably want it to continue on so dont stop.

5. i used to drive racecar ,started at 15 call quit at 29 i tired of breakin it everyweekin. now i build hot rods, going the showdown in yorks springs in may, play in the mud once a year, get the old feel back if i had scanner i put pic up here my hot rod

Attached Files:

6. Wow that's too bad. Any details? I'm bummed
    Godspeed Jan

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I cant remeber all the details but I think she was not in too good of health for awhile and I dont think I heard what got her,I was going to give her the 3 speed out of my 65 custom 500 for her 64 custom race car project but we never got togather.

8. jonzcustomshop

jonzcustomshop

9. dirt for racing aphalt for parking the trailer!!!!!

10. CoolHand

CoolHand
    Alliance Vendor

Indeed.

It sounds funny, but I've been to a couple of places that had paved pit areas dirt racing surfaces. They were the cat's furry behind, IMO at least.

No rolling in the dirt to change a gear, no great bloody clouds of dust when you're warming up the motor, no mud hole when it comes a quick shower in the middle of the show (or just before the show), etc.

It's a lot nicer deal for everyone in the pits, that's for sure.

11. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

Yeppers, count me in as a reformed circle burner :)

Al in CT

My roundy round cars (last to first). The car number came for my father and uncle drag racing 55 Chevy's and was also my football number.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. did bikes for 2 years could not walk at end, did cars 18 years
    got hardly any photos never had any $$$$$, the pit crew had to buy fuel for the feature once, was pretty good at sneaking the crew in :eek:, only got caught one time, money no problem just sign a counter check and pay the crews way in, ops wrong bank
    sure glad to have that monkey off my back now, but got to old and sick to wrestel those ill handling cars, some the stering spokes bent in my hands, got plenty pain :eek:rom the rough rides on these bumpy dirt tracks

13. Tricky Hickey

Tricky Hickey

"Last Ride" ... Still miss it but know It's over now. ($$$)
    Kinda a One-Man-Band anyways.
    Like taking a Mule to the "Ky. Derby" ($$$) :D

Half I raced with had ALL Alum. Engines !
    My only prayer was a Dry Slick Track. :)

Oh Well - "Ex-Wife" hated it. NOW they're Both Gone. :p
    My Little Brother talked me into this Gasser stuff now.
    A good thing I guess... I'm about over all the "beating & banging".

First race I went to - Newport Fairgrounds (Newport, Tn.) 1966
    Last race..."Black Caddy" Station Wagon (Morristown, Tn.) ???? :eek:

Attached Files:

14. 48jeep

48jeep

I went to my first race when I was four years old(now 61). They were racing flathead coupes. I remember two of them touching wheels and one went straight up, the guy behind drove underneath and cleared the one in the air before he came down. I can remember seeing the exhaust flames from the guy in the air. I have been hooked ever since. Drove stockcars in the late sixties and mid-seventies.

15. Dead Pan

Dead Pan

the past few years ive been involved heavily in local dirt track racing, this year thigns are going to change, for some reason im just not into it like I was. My uncle owns a modified that runs at local tracks in the kansas city area, myself I did alot vinyl lettering and wrencing from 04-09, this car was pretty much the main focus for me

[​IMG]

16. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Jan, based on the threads I see on the HAMB and the VAST number of posts on those threads, I think open wheel oval racers just might be the majority of past / current racers / interest here. Dirt ovals are my favorite, NE modifieds my favorite pavement cars, then NASCAR trucks, Busch cars, and Cup cars in that order. Seeing at least one Supermodified races is on my bucket list. But I do like drag racing, too. Just to one-dimensional to be extra interesting. Gary

17. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Gene,
    As a kid I lived in Waukegan, IL and saw a lot of modifieds from Wisconsin run there. I'm also a model car builder and member of VMSC! Small world? Know John Surges well. Gary

18. hotrodlarry

hotrodlarry

19. Speaking of Pro-Stocks.. As a kid I grew up going to Riverside Park every Saturday night back when the modifieds were running in the 60s & 70s. Bobby Stefanic, Jack Lukeyer, & those guys. Later on in the late 80s I owned and built this Pro-Stock that raced in Canaan NH on the asphalt track and also owned a few different dirt cars that raced on the dirt in Canaan & at Norway Pines Speedway in Wentworth NH. Wifes dad was the flagman at Bear Ridge in VT for awhile back in the day. Only time I ever drove this one was one day when we rented the Canaan track for the day and all took turns thrashing it. Had all the sponsors come out for the day as well and had a cookout in the pits and gave them all a turn behind the wheel.. My thing was building them. I left the driving to younger faster guys.

Attached Files:

20. wally95

wally95
    from Boone Iowa

I ran for 5 yrs. at The Boone Speedway Boone Iowa home of the IMCA Super Nationals.

Attached Files:

21. Dans28Tdr

Dans28Tdr

I'm the son of an old dirt track racer and I am buying the car he raced. In February I am going down to Florida to pick-up the car and race it at the DAARA (www.daararacing.com) Zephyrhills event. This car has gone through so many hands in the 40 years since my father had raced it. I look forward to doing some restoration to get it back to the way it looked back in the late 60's. The car will be in Texas and I will be looking for some events here. I look forward to putting my name on the door. Dan

Attached Files:

• 98.jpg
      98.jpg
      File size:
      119 KB
      Views:
  22. hodges

hodges
    from Indiana

I raced sprint cars professionally in Allstars,World of Outlaws,and USAC for about 20 yrs.Raced CJ Rayburns late model last year about 15 times.Took Jeff Gordon and Danny Lasoski to Australia back in the 80s (Jeff was 13) we raced had a blast won alot of races,good memories.

23. bumpnrun

bumpnrun

So that'd be.....Rocky Hodges?

how cool is that!

24. RustyPile

RustyPile

While I was in the military '64, '65, '66, three of my high school buddies were racing a 57 Pontiac at the local dirt tracks.. They wrote me almost every week, telling me of all the fun they were having.. When I got out, I joined their fracus.. In 1968, I went at it alone with a 57 chevy in the super stock class.. I raced for 10 years, and with the help of a few sponsors, I built my own cars and engines.. Life, business matters, and family stepped in and I hung up my helmet until 1990, when my daughter and I "campaigned" a speedway (dirt track) gokart.. She won a regional championship and several track awards during the 3 seasons we raced..

I raced at every track from Navasota, TX to Baton Rouge, LA. Won a few, lost a bunch of dollars and races.. One of my engines is still around powering my grandson's Nomad..

RustyPile

25. mickeyc

mickeyc

I did some oval track racing in the sixties. Nothing I ever encountered was more thrilling or exhilarating than strapping in and getting it on oval style....nothing!

26. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

I run 6 to 8 vintage meets per year at Fontana Cal,The Phoenix Mile, The Milwaukee Mile, Texas World Speedway, Indianapolis Raceway Park, Salem Ind and Winchester Ind.

Hope to add the New Hampshire Mile and Darlington S.C. Raceway to my 2011 schedule!

mac miller in INDY

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 9, 2011
  27. I raced Late Model Lites / Pro4 cars when I was stationed in Mt Home AFB Idaho. I raced at chapperal and meridian speedway for a couple years...

28. [​IMG]
    This was taken at Islip Speedway in 1984. The car ran at Riverhead as well. In case you can't tell, its a 1969 or so Nova and it ran either a big or small block in it. Once in a while it was fast.

Bob

29. Dennis Adams

Dennis Adams

2010 was my family's 50th anniversary in racing. Dad started in a '35 Ford modified and ran coupes, sedans, super modifieds, skeeters and finally late models. I sold my late model operation last year and am now building a 1960's super modified and riding motorycycles.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  30. wow. blast from the past. Of all the racing we've done, nothing ever beat running at the ridge. maybe you'll remember the wife's car.