Register now to get rid of these ads!

so we used Lacquer paint...look what HAPPENED!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Terry O, Jan 10, 2010.

1. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

gotcha, thanks for the explanation Jimmy.

2. While we are on the lacquer thought......has anyone tried the premixed lacquer program that Duplicolor is promoting. I saw that fella on Gears paint a fender with it in one of his shows and it came out pretty slick. Apparently it has a larger window for laying down the clear. Don't know more than that. Suppose to be priced right also.

3. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Looks slick cant wait to see it all assembled.

4. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

lacquer primer, lacquer spot putty in the tube, lacquer paint, lacquer clear, and lead all had their day in the sun! move on! todays materials are far superior in durability and just as easy to use. i can't see using all todays under and over coatings with lacquer in between. i'm sure there will be a chemical reaction at some point. the only form of lacquer i use is thinner to clean my guns.

5. freebird101

freebird101

6. bobkatrods

bobkatrods
    from aledo tx

i am with you 56don, i have a car in my garage painted in 67 with lacquer and yes it does have a few cracks, but 42 years later is not any time soon

7. Back in the late 70's when I was doing custom painting, you know the panels, flames, fogging and muriels, I used R&M 2K clear and it held up super and it was easy. These days I hate these new systems, if I can find the right color I'm going to paint the A in lacquer.

8. 57FORDF100

57FORDF100
    from bell

i love the smell of that paint takes me back when i was younger when my dad and uncles would paint there cars in the drive way

9. Color looks great! can't wait to see the finished ride!

10. Tank

Tank

Thats funny, I live in Ohio. My dads 31' phaeton was painted in 1965. It still looks great. its starting to get a little patina on it, but no shrinking/cracking. Will do it in no time huh. Terry O, your car looks FANTASTIC!

11. I love a gun job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! your painter is an good very good

12. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

13. elrobo818

elrobo818

dang that looks good!

14. fat141

fat141

O K Smartie, what do YOU use that gives the same luxurious walk right in depth that you get with lacquer.:rolleyes:
    New paints are shiney, but have no depth.
    IMHO Rod
    Sure this has been covered a squillion times on here , so why do some of you blokes need to be negative? The car looks great.:confused:

15. I just painted my Cadillacs roof in lacquer, it didnt turn out quite how I wanted it so re sprayed and went with PPG base coat/clear coat with metal flakes and turned out amazing...it was my first time ever using lacquer though so I guess I couldnt really except it to turn out the best..but from the picts, yours looks really nice..good job!

16. blt2go

blt2go

i know this quote has been touched on, but todays materials durability and ease of use don't replace the "lacquer look" also on restoration work or matching factory colors lacquer is the only choice. 2k clear is urethane and i shot it on lacquer over 20 years ago and no "chemical reaction" yet. we got the great lacquer look and alot of the urethane durability. granted bc/cc or single stage urethane is great but don't take away from Terry O's great paint job.

17. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

18. 303racer

303racer

19. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Sorry to get off track, but do you have any pictures of the steelwork in the back of the body? I haven't got around to that part on mine yet.

20. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Looks outstanding!

21. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

i never said his car didn't look great. read it again if you don't understand

22. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

What the Fuck is your problem! Sorry I corrected your spelling in another thread. My apologies.

23. 32SEDAN

32SEDAN

Very nice -- Is that a fuel door access panel in the rear center?

24. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

now that is one prime example of why lacquer was used for years. Fine looking job and don't worry used laquer for years when that was all we had and never any come backs and this was in Connecticut with highly variable temperatures. I did my own cars in lacquer so that should tell you something nothing compares with a Good lacquer paint job.

25. GonzoSS

GonzoSS

mmmmmm glad i got 2 gals. of metallic blue for 80 bucks!!! I guess i should get some of this 2k clear you guys talk about. I guess this stuff is not like shooting Emron or Arcy-Glo.

26. Pitbullgoingpostal

Pitbullgoingpostal

It look great regardless of material. Can't wait to see the rest of the car that's scattered accross SoCal.

27. man that looks horrible...tell you what, I'll go buy a nice rusty body. Trade you. Than you can build one of those Rat rods everyone is raving about....;):rolleyes:

on a serious note it looks great to me!

28. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

sorry we don't paint grand pa's fords at our shop with lacquer! 27721 posts in a little over a year . i can tell your full of shit!

29. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

I wanna try shooting some lacquer. Somebody give / sell me an old bike tank or something.

I'm serious. Don't laugh. Car looks great BTW, but you already knew that.