Register now to get rid of these ads!

WOW Barn find, the Grecian, Barris

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terrarodder, Jan 8, 2010.

1. So if that's the Grecian, what the hell happens to your hair if you use Grecian Formula to hide the grey? I'd be afraid I'd wake up with Don King hair -

2. 32Auburn

32Auburn
    from Oregon

Like Rik said, in the right hands it could be OK, remember Charlie Brown's Christmas tree!

3. Not on my list of Favorite Kustoms, glad to it's still around. George went way out of the box on that one. Have to give them credit for something different.

4. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

Sorry, maybe the barn find may not be the right term, but it is in sad or should I say, bad shape. This is how it looks now, no butterfly wings, only in poor shape, paint and crome peeling. Like it or not still neat to look at.

5. bobscogin

bobscogin

A recent study revealed that in 2009 there were more "barn finds" in the USA than there were barns in which to have found them.

Bob

6. 1 foot in the grave

1 foot in the grave
    BANNED

George had a hard time with style after Sam died. I'd love to have it, its cool but not beautiful by any means. (the fins have to go) The only thing I've ever been able to find in barns are hay and horse turds.

7. Absolution

Absolution
    from Phoenix

I spoke with my dad again about the caps and got the full story since I had not heard it since I was a kid.

Turns out the caps were made by Bill Brown from Browns Automotive in Rialto, California. They originally were on the 56 vette that later became the XSonic corvette.

Here is a link to a photo of the XSonic with the cap pre bubble top. http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eaga...X-Sonic/Ron-aguirre-1956-corvette-exsonic.jpg

The story is that Barris liked them so much they made there way onto the Grecian and El Capitola.

My dad still has a mold that was created from an original cap that Dick Dean loaned him. The last time he looked into casting a set it was $1200 a pair.

8. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

You are right. those are the same as the ones on the Grecian.

9. The thing looks like a junior high school kid with braces getting his class photo, and his mom made him wear a yellow tie, in the 80's, and he wore glasses. shit. somebody shoot it before it has a baby...

And calling this post "WOW Barn Find, The Grecian, Barris". is like saying "free shit come inside", and then getting punched in the face when you open the door

Attached Files:

10. talker

talker

I remember seeing this car in a show in 1955 in Tucson Arizona , at the time it had been in a wreck that about destroyed it. I will admit it was different but quite a bit of workmanship,still very different. Talker

11. I dont care for the car BUT the craftmans ship on the work is outstanding, look at sams work on the head lights and tail area its great. this car is what 53 years old and
    done by torch. not my cup of tea but give sam his due he did what the client wanted.

12. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Hey your right... you are the Google master.

I was just just giving props to a modern car builder. Good job in recognizing my spelling error.

13. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

No, I just live in AZ. His shop is here.:rolleyes:

14. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

*****Geeez what a dick i was. Sorry.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2011
  15. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Just in the evenings.

16. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

"the Grecian?
    just one man's opinion here but, that has to be one of the worst customs to ever get mass exposure. interesting but not attractive"
    That's kinda why the guy has it...he wanted a famous car, he could afford this thing. And why he's haveing trouble getting rid of it...
    Apparently it was contracted as a sale's tool by a Stude dealer...who completely lost interest befor it was finished because the '53's had come out and this lump no longer had anything to do with anything!

17. ratster

ratster

i don't care who built that car, its ugly

18. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

The Grecian, not my favorite also but I'm sure cars like this kicked off some great creative ideas for some builders, but at the same time got some thinking that this was a look to follow. One thing with all the old tech features that I have seen show builders working on the cars that I do not recognize in the photos. These unknowns (to me) never got any credit for the work THEY did. That sure isn't George in those pics posted of the build.

19. second_time_around

second_time_around
    from Ohio

20. With the Barris guys most of them are mentioned in his Kustom Techniques of the 50's books. I think the guy working on the car in the pictures Rikster posted was John Manok who seems to have done a lot of metal work at the Barris shop.

21. Fordguy78

Fordguy78

I kinda like the first version of the Grecian but it is still an ugly car.

22. 61TBird

61TBird

I wonder if that's where the Ford designers got the idea for the '61='62 Tbird 'caps?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

I like the car. A little busy with the chrome trimmings all over the place... but I like it.

24. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

I'm curious if he'd bring the Modern Grecian to Lead East? That would be very cool, especially if both that and the Kopper Kart came to Lead East again!

25. KustomRocket88

KustomRocket88

Is that the X Sonic? My favorite version is when he just had the upholstery in the coves on the sides.

(I'm replying to the post of old photos of those hubcaps)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  26. CJ Steak

CJ Steak
    from Texas

Put it back in the barn.

27. GRASS-Hopper??:rolleyes:

28. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

it is an example of the undeniable truth...the good die young, and the ugly survive.

29. 61bone

61bone

That's on accounta nobody messes with the ugly.

30. It may be ugly BUT.....Have you seen some of the cars built TODAY by some members here on the HAMB...Now which do you prefer????? I'll take the Stude.