Register now to get rid of these ads!

Motion Pictures two speeds in impala?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 66Rosola, Jan 10, 2010.

1. 66Rosola

66Rosola
    from Adel, Ia

my car has a two speed power glide whats the difrince between it and a standerd three speed?:confused:

2. One gear :D
    Lars

3. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

I'm not sure what you're asking.....the difference as far as swapping one for the other, or?????????

4. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

not much in drive gear ratio and highway speeds.jmho powerglide s are mostly 1:82:1 ratio

5. I standard 3 speed has a clutch, the 2 speed is an automatic

6. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I will be nice I will be nice

7. SYCO620

SYCO620
    from Merced, Ca

Why? That takes all the fun out of this. Keep the powerslide, the whine at stop lights will make all the other guys jealous.:D

8. indyjps

indyjps

Powerglide is 2 speed automatic
    Turbohydromatic 350 or turbo 350 or TH350 is a 3 speed automatic

You can swap a Th350 for a powerglide very easily, same crossmember, same length. you need to be sure you have a car TH350 and not a truck, the truck has a longer output shaft housing. your shifter may or may not work, Im not that familiar with column shifters if you have one.

TH400 is another 3 speed automatic, stronger of the 3 stock transmissions, takes more power to turn one. If you dont know these things you are most likely not making enough power to need a TH400, no offense.

If your powerglide is running well keep it. The advantage of a TH350 is you get 3 gears, duh, but you also get a deeper first gear ratio for quicker takeoff and less gear ratio drop at shifts to keep the car in its powerband.

9. Churchy

Churchy

The Powerglide is a two speed automatic transmission designed by General Motors. It was available primarily on Chevrolet automobiles from 1948 through the early 1970s, although some Pontiac models also used this automatic transmission. There were two primary versions of the Powerglide. The Powerglide transmission introduced in 1950 had a cast iron case and is known as the "Cast Iron Powerglide". The "Cast Iron Powerglide" and was used until 1963, when it was revamped as "Aluminum Powerglide" where its case and several of its other parts were made of aluminum. The Aluminum Powerglide was used from 1962 until it was replaced with the Turbo-Hydramatic series of transmission in the early 1970s. The Aluminum Powerglide is still used today as a racing transmission of choice by many racers mainly for the fact that it only shifts once, and for its extreme durability. It is also possible to purchase all the parts needed to build an Aluminum Powerglide from scratch from most racing parts vendors.

From 1957 to 1961, Chevrolet also produced the Turboglide automatic transmission, a three-speed automatic whose design was similar to that of updated versions of Buick's Dynaflow. The Turboglide, only offered with V8 engines, was more expensive (by about $50) than the Powerglide and did not have wide acceptance, in part due to failures in 1957-'58 models, which were addressed by a significantly upgraded version for 1959.

10. indyjps

indyjps

66Rosola, looked at your profile, point out that youre 14 so we dont bust your balls too much. good looking car, I drove a 65 Impala 4 door for a year, straight 6 powerglide, quick light blue repaint over very quick bodywork. got it tuned up and would pull 20-25 mpg on the highway, never let me down.
    Let us know your plans for the car.

11. Kent

Kent
    from KCMO

Its a 2 speed automatic trans. very reliable, Drag racers use them. Why? is there something wrong with yours?

12. Henry VIII

Henry VIII
    from Tulsa OK

As I remember, the Turboglide instead of "L" for low had "GR" for grade retard. My gf's parents had a '57 Belair 4 dr HT with a Turboglide. When the son got old enough to drive, it started going through transmission at an alarming pace. I think they finally replaced it with a Powerglide but tjem it also failed.
    Some "expert" told me that the Turboglide was also a 2 speed but I never really knew.
    edit: It appears that the Turboglide does have 3 speeds: http://chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com/trans/60tg/index.htm

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  13. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

Atta boy Johnny! Keep that up and you'll get a gold star and a check in the "plays well with others" box!

14. I can't tell you whats different but I can tell you how much I love powerglides. I drove my 283/PG Impala for years and was always confused why the 350/350 crowd always suggested I change it. I feel the guys who suggest changing it have never had a good powerglide. Plus I enjoyed the little whine sound. I drove that car home from San Francisco after buying it, I drove from Vancouver to Paso, Vancouver to Billetproof in Livermore, etc plus THOUSANDS of to-work and local road trip miles and it purred along GREAT on the highway. Long live the POWERGLIDE...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  15. all good points so far, but i thought that i should be said that the 2-speed powerglide , the th350 , the th400 and a standard 3-speed manual all have a final gear ratio of 1:1 in high...so none of those will effect your rpm's at cruising speed

i may be off here ...i got that impression that maybe he thought a 3 speed would give him an over drive

16. roddinron

roddinron

I've got a pg in my OT 72 ventura daily driver. I thought I'd hate it and figured upon changing it when I was buying the car. But after driving it a while, it turns out to be great, I could hardly believe that only 2 speeds could work so well behind a straight 6, but it made me a believer, it's stayin.

17. Mercchev

Mercchev

Had the PG in my 56 Chevy 210 since Grandpa bought it in 56...still works like a champ, it just burps hydraulic fluid on the garage floor every once in awhile...marking it's territory, as it were.

18. 66Rosola

66Rosola
    from Adel, Ia

no i only needed to know what people thought about it and if the three speed would be better.

19. roddinron

roddinron

I actually talked to a guy once who changed to a 350 who said the car ran better with the PG. If yours works good, it's not worth changing IMO.

20. Rodshop

Rodshop

I did about everything you could think of to my '62 283 Powerglide in high school and it had a hundred thousand miles on it when I got it from my old man. Tough old transmissions! Hit the pavement off of the grass or gravel, rev it until the lifters would "float" before pushing it into drive, whatever I could think of and never a problem. I would keep the Powerglide if it works well. (don't try everything I did :D
    Rodshop

21. Kent

Kent
    from KCMO

next question?

22. 38FLATTIE

38FLATTIE
    from Colorado

Keep us updated with what you are doing, and pics. I think it's great that a 14 year old is posting and asking questions!

23. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

I have a 3 speed in mine but I have had a few car's that were 2 speeds and had no issues with them , both are fine.
    I see you added me as a friend , if you need help or pic's of stuff for that Impala I'D be happy to help , Mine is basically all stock, Welcome to the Hamb.

24. i think the aluminum case Powerglide is a great transmission....as for it being "better" , well that depends on your expectations. if i had a running/driving car with a powerglide i sure wouldn't tear it out to change to a th350

25. I like the Powerglides myself. I've beat the snot out of them, never did an N-drop though, and they always worked well. I've had them behind a 230 6, numerous SBCs and one behind a BBC. If you have one in a complete car, go with it for every day driving around.

Bob

26. Wtf???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

27. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Be aware that IF you should choose to swap, only the short tailshaft Turbo 350 is a direct swap for the PowerGlide. The medium and long tailshaft ones require the driveshaft to be cut though the rear mount remians the same.

28. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

Also...'62-'64 PG's are 24" long. '65-up PG's are 27" long.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  29. overspray

overspray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ditto. Chevrolet must have been confident in them enough so they were available in the Corvette even behind the 390 horsepower 427 big block. I just bought 3 aluminum powerglides for projects. My T roadster is next up for a powerglide and a SBC. I think the powerglide only draws about 10 to 15 horsepower to operate.

Do Not manually shift down to low at medium to high speeds or you will probably ruin the low speed parts. In high school I had a couple buddies with powerglides ruin them by pulling it into low to hear the glass pack mufflers cackle. It took about 2 weeks and they were in the shop for a tranny overhaul.

30. One is an automatic.
    DOH.

Your rear gear will be taller with the power slip as a rule.