Register now to get rid of these ads!

" How Many Milk Crate Seat Storys Are Out There.."

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Fishbeck, Jan 10, 2010.

1. " How Many Milk Crate Seat Storys Are Out There.."

I've heard stories about projects, almost being finished & milk crates involved for seats.. in the 1st quick trip around the block!

2. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

Happens all the time over here. Works well for me.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  3. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

I just drove my 1960 International Metro van around the block standing up (no seat at all) a few weeks ago. I coildn't wait until I was done with the seat stancions, just had to drive it!

[​IMG]

4. Donny D. Ville

Donny D. Ville

Ive used buckets many of time...once i made a quick left in my dads 48 with "bucket seats", the passenger door flew open and the passenger did too, luckily my buddy in the back seat grabbed him on the way out! So if your gonna rock the em, drive like youre sitting on buckets hahahaha

5. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

Is this site that hard up for threads?

6. Rooney00

Rooney00

Looks like it.

Everyone has used a crate or bucket for a test drive. Last time I did was a 5 gallon lacquer thinner can.

7. how can you hate on something that inspires laughs & smiles.. C'mon now!

8. Everyone has used a crate or bucket for a test drive. [/QUOte]

I haven't, that's why it struck me humorous I guess!
    Cancel the thread, then. aint important

9. vettes2

vettes2
    from OKC, OK

Early 80's the State of Kansas required out of State purchased cars to have the vins checked by Hiway Patrol. Tuesdays at 9 . They did away with safety inspections a few years earlier.

I drove my 59 MGA with no hood, doors or windshield. Milk crate safety glasses, seat belt and insurance card. Car was a day away from paint and the title had to be done ASAP for a Show. Drove about 14 blocks across my small town.

The Trooper just shook his head." We would have come to your house."
    I explained that the nice ladies in the Court House did not know this, we should go inform them. He gave me his stamp of OK, I drove off and used all of those hand signals like crazy until I was outta sight.

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used a length of 2x10 laying on the chassis of my T bucket for the first test run. When I ran the 48 Over to my upholstery guy in 1973 I sat on my air tank that I had made out of one of those freon tanks the hvac guys use. That was one of the least fun `15 miles I have ever driven.

11. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

got pulled uver the otherday in my 50 no headlights , one tail light, no exhaust, and no seat. I'm a fast talker.

Attached Files:

12. I'm Still Laughin'..

13. shoveled71

shoveled71

Back in late 60s a bud bought a 54 Ford truck for 100.00, the seat was ragged out so he pulled it out and took it to get it reupholstered, we put a couple of those cheap aluminum green and white webbed chairs in the truck so we could ride till he got the seat back, we were going down a dirt road haulin ass and he grabbed second gear and gassed it around a curve, both seats collasped and I went flying out the passenger door and he fell in the floor, I rolled around in the dirt and stopped just in time to see the truck hit a telephone pole on the passenger door, we werent hurt other than cuts and bruises but the truck was totaled, learned a valuable lesson that day, one of many to come. Spike

14. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No milk crates, but I got my '37 Chevy runnin' and had to go for a ride...no brakes, or oil in the front knee-action shocks. Now I would never do this in a residential area, but I live on a big farm, and my driveway is 1/2 mile long, and also circles 'round the barns. Lots of fun. Who says I can't hit the broad side of a barn?

15. 1963nova

1963nova
    BANNED
    from ohio

I was looking for some interior for my Nova any idea how to intergrade milk crates into it ? lol

16. Gearhead-DK

Gearhead-DK

Well, we do what ever it takes to go for a quick spin

Attached Files:

17. Ford Guy

Ford Guy

I just had to drive my 52 F-1 before I had the seat finished. Used a gray 5-gallon bucket and drove around the block. I'd had the truck for over 22 years in storage and had never driven it, even when I bought it from a previous boss. It was an exciting, adrenaline pumpin' ride!

18. besides the 115 plus degree heat in the summer here (i stayed nice and comfy sewing in my air conditioned home).... this above story was one of the reasons i tackled interior prior to making it road worthy. lol

19. jmh

jmh

Milk crate in the dead of winter with no glass in my 39 Ford sedan. Lots of miles around the neighborhood on Sunday mornings.. Even drove past the police and they just waved!! Used the lawn chair too, but every time I got on it I would flip over and then have to hurry up and get everthing under control!! LOL!!:eek: John

20. They are fine until you hit the brakes.

21. 666Irish

666Irish

Used one of these for a couple weeks in my '53 Coronet while I was fixing the seat. A couple sheet metal screws and pipe clips, and it worked like a charm.

[​IMG]

22. I had a '62 Plymouth stripped of all glass, removable sheet metal, bumpers, trim, interior, etc. and drove it around (three on the tree) sitting on a small tool box.

Luckily didn't come across the local lawman.

23. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

Mymilk crate seat is a family heirloom. It's been used in five cars. Picture is '31 Chivvy. I drove the pickup, not pictured, for about six months around town sans-doors.

Attached Files:

24. Back in about 1959 a friend of mine wanted to move a couple of cars from my house to his. I got to drive his 32 Ford 2-door. It had no seats and no floor under the pedals. I thought this was neat as shit till I hit the first bump. When I did I mashed the foot feed and backwards I went. I was holding tight to the steering wheel and that kept me from falling over backward off the milk crate. Every time I hit a bump the same thing happened. Hell of a ride. The milk crates back then were metal and didn't slide around as easy as these new fangled plastic ones.
    Later,
    Dick

25. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

In 1981 I was working at a friend's rod shop. We had just finished chopping a brand new Chevy shortbox stepside p/u and it needed to go to the glass shop. I got elected to drive it over there. 4 miles through the city with no windshield and no seats, so I used a milk crate. Not a fun trip at all. :p

26. ChevyRat

ChevyRat

Just when building to move from inside to outside.

27. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

I had a 55 f-100 and was sitting at a light when a guy pulled up and offered more for the bed than I paid for the truck. We went to his house and took it off. This poor truck got parted as I drove it over the summer and had a milk crate seat for the longest time. I made alot of money off that truck. .
    Nothing to show for it exept this story.

28. Rs2

Rs2

I used to take the seats out for recovering at our upholstery shop and drive the cars down the street about 6 blocks to a body shop !! most of the time I'd just jump in and sit on the center hump of the floor and hang on !! things we do for a living huh !!

29. flynbrian48

flynbrian48

LOL, the first time we drove our '48 Pontiac convert, this is 33 years ago, we rode into town on pheasant crates! Pretty funny now.

30. Johnny99

Johnny99

Bought a mid 70s wrecked Chevy pick up around 1985 for the low mile strong running 350. Drunk had slid the truck HARD into a telephone pole at the drivers door, no windshield,[pissing rain, wearing safety goggles] A pillar was mashed to within a 1/2" of the steering wheel, had to sit kinda centered/ side saddle in the seat, truck was a four speed. About a 20 mile trip home, passed a couple of cops, strange looks is all I got. Not the milk crate test flight but a interesting trip!
    John