Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bob's Big Boy Broiler Opens In Downey!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Cyclone Kevin, Oct 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Alright Kev! That's it! You HAVE to bring the roadster out!! :eek::eek:

So tomorrow night then?? Bundle up!!

2. John Denich

John Denich

Saturday nights are way better besides its gives us more time for the trophy's and the 50/50 draws, Dan was complaining about it!!! do you have a DJ lined up yet!!!!

No seriously Saturday nights are better! NO 50/50 draws and no trophys...NO DJ's....

3. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

This is from Adreine.........

Conservancy News
    Preservation

Johnie’s Broiler Reopens as
    Bob’s Big Boy

by Mike Buhler

The Broiler is back! Nearly three years after its partial demolition, the original Harvey’s Broiler, and
    longtime Johnie’s Broiler, reopened in its third incarnation as Bob’s Big Boy Broiler in October 2009.
    The Broiler’s comeback is nothing short of miraculous, standing as a testament to the tireless efforts of
    the Coalition to Rebuild the Broiler, the City of Downey, franchise owner Jim Louder, Modern Commit-
    tee chair emeritus Adriene Biondo, and others who work to ensure its resurrection.
    When it opened in 1958, Harvey’s Broiler was the largest drive-in ever built in Southern California.
    It quickly became an integral part of the region’s cruising culture. The combination coffee shop/drive-
    in restaurant featured a boomerang-shaped car canopy with ninety-eight covered parking spaces. The
    restaurant was sold in 1965, and the new owner renamed it Johnie’s Broiler.
    On December 31, 2001, its owner closed the Broiler and leased it to a new tenant who operated it as
    a used car lot. This period saw several unauthorized alterations to the building, including the dismantling
    of the kitchen, removal of the counter seating, and removal of portions of the terrazzo floors.
    The final blow came on January 7, 2007, when a rag-tag wrecking crew started bulldozing without
    permits, fencing off the property, disconnecting the electricity, or completing asbestos abatement. Only a
    portion of the front facade and its distinctive signage, including the famous “Fat Boy” mascot, remained.

After intense public outcry, the Downey City Council moved quickly to impose a year-long develop-
    ment moratorium on the site. Spurred by the city’s commitment of $900,000 toward the reconstruction
    project, Bob’s Big Boy franchise owner Jim Louder entered into a long-term lease in April 2008.
    Patrons enjoy the beautifully reconstructed interior of Bob’s
    Big Boy with a photo of the original Harvey’s Broiler as
    backdrop. Photo by John Eng.
    plans to reclaim the Googie landmark from the
    pile of debris left in the wake of its destruction.
    The Coalition to Rebuild the Broiler and the
    Conservancy worked closely with the City
    of Downey, Archeion Nevada architects, and
    preservation consultant Chattel Architecture
    to help ensure that the project preserved much
    of what remained while staying faithful to
    the original design. Schematic drawings for
    the new restaurant were based on the original
    blueprints by Harvey’s architect Paul Clayton.
    Although not an exact reconstruction of
    the original Broiler, the new building exhibits
    an attention to detail that is remarkable. The
    massive broiler neon sign was restored and
    sensitively adapted for its new moniker, with a vintage Big Boy statue purchased by Jim Louder on eBay
    and hauled down from Sacramento on a flatbed truck. Much of the historic terrazzo was retained, with
    new infill terrazzo selected to match the original; the rock walls were salvaged and meticulously rebuilt;
    and even the textured popcorn ceiling was reapplied to the reconstructed soffit. With Big Boy gleefully
    rotating on his former perch, Fat Boy is now enjoying retirement propped up next to the rebuilt canopy
    and basking in the glow of the Broiler’s re-lit neon.
    “Not only does this project restore a historic icon for our city and preserve a part of our legacy,”
    beams former Downey Mayor Mario Guerra, “but it also provides tremendous benefits to the city from
    an economic development standpoint by creating a viable business venture that employs 185 people.”
    The Broiler’s reopening is the culmination of years of grassroots advocacy, originating long before
    the illegal demolition. The Conservancy’s Modern Committee was an early leader, helping to establish
    the Friends of Johnie’s in 2002 and spearheading efforts to qualify the building for the California Reg-
    ister. In the wake of the Broiler’s partial destruction, the Friends of Johnie’s re-grouped as the Coalition
    to Rebuild the Broiler, forming an alliance of preservationists, vintage car enthusiasts, and students.
    “The amazing story of resurrecting the Broiler is definitely one for the history books,” muses Adriene
    Biondo. “A half-century later, the innovative Googie architecture and fabulous 1950s signage is again
    stopping traffic on Firestone Boulevard. What was old is new again, as families and a new generation
    of SoCal cruisers rediscover carhop service and experience a real 1958 drive-in.”

4. 64sled

64sled

Once summer is here i bet saturday nights would be great :)

5. 57FORDF100

57FORDF100
    from bell

i kinda like wensdays something to do during the week like how friscos was wensdays i say make it wensday and saterday i know ppl would show up to both days

6. and i was getting all hyped up for a dj................ok how a bout a 70/30 drawing.

7. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

i knew this was comming...post pics any one

8. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

How about a compromise......50/50 bars and a loud radio.

9. 57FORDF100

57FORDF100
    from bell

i vote for the loud radio and a keg instead whos in

10. 64sled

64sled

First we kill the keg and then we start singing some Vicente Fernandez :)

11. 57FORDF100

57FORDF100
    from bell

F!@# YEAH sounds like a plan to me as long as we all get into a group and sing at the same time lol

12. Volver, volver voooooolver......

13. John Denich

John Denich

What did I miss what was coming!!!!

14. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

Sick in bed tonight.

So is the weekly cruise-in moving to Saturday or what?

15. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Get well soon Mem!
    The cruise will be on both days! Some guys were saying that a certain 4 letter word was getting in the way, so I'm open to doing a Saturday one as well! :D
    C'mon out! Leave the Dee Jay's for the car shows instead, we're just hanging out!;)

16. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Nice turn out this evening, will be watching for updates about sat. Have to go out of town fri. into sat. morning, returning by late afternoon.

17. 57FORDF100

57FORDF100
    from bell

great turn out tonight there was a lot of good cars good meeting you kirby see you on the 13th for van nuys
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. WikkedAnghel

WikkedAnghel

So Saturday night it is...
    Who will be heading down this Sat?

19. 57FORDF100

57FORDF100
    from bell

i dont think ill make it saterday gotta work havent seen you or the shoebox yet wikkedanghel when are you taking it down to bobs

20. Goozgaz

Goozgaz

i'll be there saturday

21. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

planning on sat night also

22. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I see that some-one has seized upon the opportunity to launch a business that has the broiler as its main feeder.

Look at the white and red building in the background of the pictures of the '56, and you can see a wanted - classic cars sign.

When I was there before the Broiler opened - that building didn't have that sign on it.:eek:

23. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

If I'm correct, the guy that owns the property that the broiler is on also owns that building across the street.

24. WikkedAnghel

WikkedAnghel

About what time are you guys planning on being there?

25. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Dan, you are correct. wonder what sort of a guy he is????

26. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Not Correct;) The guy who owns the building is a Ardas Yanik-Destroyer of the Broiler:rolleyes:. Guess that he feels that he can cash in what we worked to save. Christos Owns the lot where the pre-owned Nissans are.
    That whole property used to house a cool rocket ship sign that let one know that they were @ NOWLING'S OLDSMOBILE,That was an old dealership that closed around 1990.

We willl be doing our Weds cruise on Saturday night as well for those who voiced an opinion having to roll out on Weds. This is for you so c'mon out:D!

27. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Thanks for clarifying the situation for us, Kevin.

i guess I tried to take in so much info in such a short time, ....... well I am entilted to get something (else) wrong!!! ;)

28. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

Don't sweat it Mark, you were 1/2 right :)

29. Mr.Musico

Mr.Musico
    from SoCal

see u 2 nite

30. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Stopped by last night with the family, Mmmmm GOOD food ! ! !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.