Register now to get rid of these ads!

WOW Barn find, the Grecian, Barris

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by terrarodder, Jan 8, 2010.

1. terrarodder

terrarodder
    from EASTERN PA

A barn find the, Grecian is now on display at the America on Wheels Museum in Allentown PA. along with the clone of the Copper Kart. The Romango, a 40 Merc built in 1951 is there plus four of Rick Dorn cars and the Lemon Twist, a 50 Merc convert.built as an tribute to Shirley Barris, George's late wife.Plus a lot more wild cars.

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

3. buickvalvenut

buickvalvenut
    from Rialto

were the pics?...

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

The Grecian is (or was?) owned by a collector here in NJ as of the last year or so...not a barn find, however it got to Allentown.

5. Does the NJ collector own a barn ? :D Just my opinion but the term "barn find" is way overdone. I can see it being used to describe a car that's been sitting neglected for many years in a barn or garage owned by someone who has no clue what they have or what it might be worth or even on abandoned property but not everything that's been "found" was lost to begin with... So anyway.. where's the pics ?

6. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Rick Dorn is a master. Did anyone see the 1936 Auburn boattail speedster at sema?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

Yea that car pops up every few years just to say hi. Nobody seems to put any real effort into restoring it though. Now its pink, but I remember sitting in it once when it was in a local shop years ago. It was primered and I remember the office chairs, chrome tube console and the hood hinges being made out of angle iron.

need louvers ? likes this.
  8. Found some pics. Go to the website & click on exhibits. Then concepts & customs. Starts tomorrow. The cars may be on loan to the museum and still belong to someone else.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

the Grecian?
    just one man's opinion here but, that has to be one of the ugliest customs to ever get mass exposure. interesting but not attractive

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
    verde742 likes this.
  10. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

I think you mean Rick Dore.

11. Lowmerc50

Lowmerc50

Wonder what the hubcaps are?

12. 296ardun

296ardun

the original was ok, I think it was painted gold, Rikster has some great shots on his website...but gradually it got ruined. Give Barris some credit for originality, though, not many customizers tried to gild a 4-door Studebaker, too bad it is probably beyond restoring to its first version.

13. froghawk

froghawk

Agreed. Particularly in its bright yellow and green incarnation.

need louvers ? likes this.
  14. vernmotor

vernmotor
    from ohio

WoW that is the first time I ever see that. I know someone spend a lot of time on it.. but only a mother could love a face like that !!

15. Absolution

Absolution
    from Phoenix

Not really a barn find my uncle drove that car all over Arizona and California when I was a kid and he later sold it to my father who drove it to many shows in Southern California until he sold it to a collector a little over a decade ago.

I might be biased since I grew up with it around the house but I don't find it to be an ugly kustom. Granted I could do without the butterfly fins but otherwise it was a very innovative kustom at the time. Pancaked hood, scoops over the headlights, wild interior with a TV and phone made it a pretty wild for the day IMHO.

16. Yes, I agree.

17. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

Barris's craftsmanship was reportedly good. The original custom didn't look too bad considering the time period in which it was conceived and built. But the later yellow and green version with insect-looking fins was an emBarrisment!

18. roddinron

roddinron

Well, I'm sure there are those who will agree with you, but I suspect sentiment has clouded your vision a bit. Every time I've seen it's name come up, most people seem to think it's one of the ugliest cars Barris ever produced, and I've got to agree, but to each his own, there's no accounting for taste I guess.

19. CHOPMERC

CHOPMERC

The hubcaps are custom made Aluminum caps produced by Barris and sold briefly through his product line...Not many sets were sold, so they were pulled....The Sam Barris "El Capitola" 57 Chevy also uses these caps....

20. Absolution

Absolution
    from Phoenix

Hubcaps are custom. The mold went with the car when it was sold. Barris cast a few of these back in the day.

21. Definitely "butt" ugly.

22. chop32

chop32

Barn find?
    Wasnt it on Ebay a couple years ago when it was all pink? Maybe a barn hide!!
    With respect to the Grecians history, I like the taillights on the car......yep, thats about it!

23. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

Here is the story on "The Grecian".It was at Lead East several years ago,when there was a gathering of Barris cars.The Chili Catalo coupe,aka Little Deuce Coupe,The Aztec,which was shown as "in progress",which had to be pushed in the spot,the Ogden-Pisano 41 Buick,Hirohata clone,plus several other cars along with the Grecian.Fast forward to 2006.Along with my fellow Cadillac club members,a visit to a restoration shop in western NJ,was planned.

While walking in and between many restored Classic cars,many of them Concours winners,tucked in back of the shop,was the Grecian.Haven't seen it since,but will try to find out more info.

24. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

The beginning of the end for Barris. It all went downhill from here. -stick

25. FoMoCoPower

FoMoCoPower

Wish people would stop mis-using the term "Barn Find" so much.

Driver50x likes this.
  26. Von Richthofen

Von Richthofen

Thas uglier than my X wife !!!

27. Jarzenhotrods

Jarzenhotrods
    from .......

The first version wasnt to bad. It would be nice if they did restore it to the first version.

28. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

should be called the greasy turd.

29. I think its pretty hard to make an early 50's 4-door Studebaker look good in the first place... I should know I have one.

30. Given most folks' opinion of The Grecian, maybe you meant to say "Barf Find" ?