Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods BAKERSFIELD?: Cool Shops to TOUR IN BAKO?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KIRK!, Jan 7, 2010.

1. KIRK!

KIRK!

We're putting together a cruise to Del Mar from NorCal in April and would like to stop by a shop or two (we're already stopping at IronWorks). There will probably be about 25-30 cars on the trip, so parking may be an issue, plus having something (enough stuff) worthy of steering that many guys there.

Specifically, we'd be in town on Wednesday April 7th.

Let me know.

I like Squeaks, but is it big enough?

Also, when in Bakersfield ya gotta have Basque food. What's the best one in town?

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  2. roughneck424

roughneck424

Beside Squeak's all I can think of that is the least bit cool, would be a Beer Stop at Buck Owens place to have a beer and see the the car on the back bar. At least it is right off the Freeway:)
    http://www.buckowens.com/food.html

3. KIRK!

KIRK!

I love the Crystal Palace, but I'm not sure if they're open during the day. Could be a good lunch stop though.

4. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

What about Rootlieb and Almeidas Classic cars in beautiful Turlock?

5. KIRK!

KIRK!

Great places, but we did them last year for Hot Rod week. I was bummed I missed the Rootlieb tour.

Good thinking though, we could add stops before Bakersfield.

6. Marcy

Marcy

7. PonchoJohn

PonchoJohn
    from Fresno, Ca

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  8. Shane T.

Shane T.

PM scootersnpie he'll know.

9. Wool-Growers is the best basque but is always busy and they do not take reservations. Benji's on Rosedale Hwy is supposedly pretty good, but I have always eaten at Wool-Growers. Shops....................... well thats another story that I do not have a comment on.-Weeks

10. There's an old ice cream parlor that you should hit. I don't know the name. Some locals will chime in on that. I hope...

11. Rosemary's on F street just north of Rosedale/Hwy 178. The Bakersfield Model A club frequents it after the monthly meetings. Good old fashioned Ice Cream.-Weeks

12. roughneck424

roughneck424

13. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

Go see Gary - he is way cool !

14. turdytoo

turdytoo

I would stay away from the airport.

15. Check out Brandy's garage!

16. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Zingo's for breakfast

17. BrandonSilva

BrandonSilva

PM deek...his shop is in Tulare, right off of the 99 freeway....he usually has a few builds going on.

18. Ditto on Rosemary's Ice Cream

19. Yeah rough area at times by the little airport, not the main one in Oildale. There is Rocket Shop Cafe off of Union though they could eat lunch there and its over by Blackboard. Just fair warning that all the Junkyards are over off of Union ave well and the hookers.-Weeks

I am still waiting on that tour also. Brandy has some cool stuff for sure.-Weeks

20. KIRK!

KIRK!

Ah, Zingo's. Best place for Sunday morning of March Meet weekend.

21. Zingo's on Buck Owens Boulevard about a block from The Crystal Palace, Milt's on Olive Drive is a good place to stop plenty of motel parking. Both just off the freeway, easy on and off.-Weeks

22. pigpin75

pigpin75

Basque food in Bak0...Noriega Hotel, Pyrenees Cafe and Woolgrowers. Any of the three have great lunch/Dinner and Bars.

23. They fry their bacon in diesel fuel at Zingos. Milt's is better. Check the mural in the dining room. Done in '58 and pretty cool.

24. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

Jeez some of you locals need to get out more often. Basque food is Narduccis cafe. Plenty of parking, Jimmy is a car guy and they aren't stuffed shirts like the rest of them. Breakfast is the knotty pine the whole way. Shops: Gary at the blackboard, Duane jones at the Kiwi Konnection and right across the street is squeek and his personal collection. Mild Bill has a red ram collection, hotrod garage is a shop. Dennis is good peeps. Several local guys who would take ya in and show you about. Ice cream is dewars or nothing; you like sex, you'll love dewars.

Did I forget anything?

25. Yeah your personal collection of Ponchos Princess lol.

Oh and we came by bsed with your madre did a small burnout and left lol. Hope the bicycle tire got fixed.-Weeks

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  26. And the titty bar next door for afters....

27. I have to agree with Brandy, "Dewars or nothing" for ice cream, there is plenty of room at Squeeks and across the street at Duanes Kiwi Konnection for parking. For Basque my pick is Narduccis or Wool Growers and they do take reservations for partys ( I just did a party of 50 at Wool Growers ).
    What is the plan anyway staying the night or passing by?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  28. KIRK!

KIRK!

Who has Squeak's info????

29. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

So you guys doing a food tour??
    I thought it`s about cars..

30. http://www.kiwikonnection.org/
    I went out to my shop but did not find my numbers book so this is what I have for now it is not Squeak's number but Duane's contact at Kiwi Konnection. They are only across the street from each other so this should get you there.