Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Chop Saw Just died What should I bye

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blue collar guy, Jan 5, 2010.

1. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

So I have had my last chop saw for over 10 years and it just died. It was a Dewalt and the fact that it lasted ten years makes me think I should stick with a dewalt. But maybe they are not built as well now? I don't know but what is... Also I like to upgrade when I can if I replace a tool. So whats worked good for you? I don't think I can afford a cold saw but whats up with those metal blades they sell for chop saws. Thanks Scott

2. id stick with dewalt . dewalt has a cheep cold saw but as well with any cold saw blades are expensive to have sharpened

3. Ruiner

Ruiner

Another chop saw *rimshot*

Thank you, I'll be here all week, and twice on Saturday...

I had a Dewalt chop saw and loved it...then bought a horizontal band saw and never looked back...

4. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

Whatever you buy try to buy american......I think Dewalt is made overseas.

I've smoked tools of all brands and types. Some "high quality" brands d\have disappointed me and some El Cheapo have really come through and Vice versa.

I would look on a site like Popular Mechanics or something like it...they do reviews on power tools frequently and they are pretty good at ripping them apart and finding the good and bad. Lotsa online stores have customer reviews.
    i like to use those to narrow it down then i go look for the best price for what I want.

5. DNCII@mac.com

[email protected]
    from H.B., CA

DeWalt Multi Cutter is their "cold saw". I bought one to use at work for cutting aluminum extrusions and steel tubing. Works awesome...noisy as shit though on tubing. A lot cleaner than the chop saw. Blades are expensive at around $50 or $60...but it's worth it. Oh yeah, the saw's expensive too...around $500....but again...worth it!

And the cuts are Daaaaaaaaammmmmnnnnnn straight!!!!!!!!!!

Did i mention that it's worth it?

6. BrandonSilva

BrandonSilva

the new Dewalts are good...I also used a milwaukee that was great. I have a Rigid at home and it's good. The metal chop saw blades are really good and really expensive compared to standard chop saw blades. They have to be re-sharpened and I think that's expensive (unless you do it yourself). They sink through steel and they don't really spark or leave "dust" behind....oh and they tend to not "walk" meaning they cut pretty damn straight. Get a bandsaw

p.s. I think the metal blades are supposed to be used with a certain chop saw (certain max rpm's)

7. SamAndrews

SamAndrews

I'm with this guy. I haven't used a chop saw since I got my band saw.

8. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

A carbide metal blade is not really a cold saw but it's a thousand times better than a cut off saw with an abrasive blade.
    Also, it's not just the blade that's different. The carbide saw is slower rpm than the abrasive saw.
    I recommend the Milwaukee carbide saw. I looked at a few others and they had plastic on the guards and/or crappy vises. I've been using it for over a year and couldn't be happier. Think I paid under $400.

9. Hack Attack

Hack Attack

What part gave up on you?

10. krooser

krooser

I bought a "CTD" industrial chop saw on FleaBay... the seller siad it needed new motor bearings as it vibrated badly. Had it shipped and the problem was the saw blade had the wrong size hole causing it to be off center.

The saw lists new for $2400.00... I paid $85.00...

11. CrkInsp

CrkInsp
    from B.A. OK

Did it break or just not start? DeWalt has a great parts and repair system, give them a call.

12. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Easy to repair, but a new dewalt sounds good too.

13. shortbed65

shortbed65
    from ne Ill

If you buy another chop saw put an air filter on the intake, I bought this one in '94
    [​IMG]

14. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

dewalt is the shit. period.

go for it.

15. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

Ther is a bad spot in the armature

16. i have a milwaukee i got off craigslist.........works great.

17. heatmiser

heatmiser
    from mia

i had a dewalt and now a milwaukee dry cut(blade type) saw... i will always chose it over an abrasive saw... faster, cleaner, straighter cuts w/ no smoke and almost no heat... i think you'd be happy w/ either one.

18. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

A dictionary. Just kidding. My Ryobi has been going strong for about 5 years and I got it used.

19. hotrod56cars

hotrod56cars

I'm real happy with my Milwaukee, still going strong (7 years).

20. Well......I say whatever you do. TRY to get American. But when money was down for me. I scored an off brand chopsaw at a yard sale for 25.00 and it's been kicking ass ever since. The reality is, if you are not fabbing all day to pay the rent chances are you'll be fine with a used one.

21. scottybaccus

scottybaccus

I just bought a Rigid after the 10 year old Makita started to lay down. I am really happy with it's performance and it is built much heavier than the makita and actually cuts straighter and with less force deflection when you push it too fast through the material. If you buy an abrassive saw, that would be my recommendation.

A friend has the Dewalt carbide blade saw. Pricey, but worth every penny. I wish I could just throw that blade on my Rigid, but it's not speed friendly.

22. Hack Attack

Hack Attack

The same thing happened to my Dewalt. The thing is still kicking though....it shoots sparks out of the end pretty good but it still cuts metal! I plan on running it until it dies.

23. krawlin98zj

krawlin98zj
    from NE Ohio

My advice is to get a bandsaw...

24. could it just need brushes. they seem to wear fast.

25. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

What he said...

26. tdoty

tdoty

I'd vote for a bandsaw. Failing that, I'm plenty happy with my Milwaukee. I miss my former employer's 5hp Everett though.

Tim D.

27. blue collar guy

blue collar guy

I replaced the brushes when it started acting up. The armature has a bad spot so it's not worth fixing. Thanks to everybody for all the info. I allready have a band saw so I'm leaning twords a cold saw type saw. But i'm worried about blade life. Thanks again. Scott

28. burl

burl
    from Minnesota

Blade life will be relative to what your trying to cut with it.Its pretty tought to have a saw that can do it all.Each type of material and thickness may need differant blades to be effective and last.We cut many differant types of stock from shim stock to plates up to 14 inches thick.We use hot saws up to a large Marvel band saw to do our cuts.Somebody correct me if im wrong but i doubt than any of the saws are made in usa any more including the dewalt wich is made in mexico.Id just by one with the best warranty.

29. pastlane

pastlane

30. falconwagon62

falconwagon62

Check out the Metal Devil

www.mkmorse.com

Metal Devil Blades made in USA Canton, Ohio

Not China or Japan...

They sometimes have refurbished machines, they give their saws a 60 Satisfaction warranty! plus a 1 year PARTS and LABOR...Plus you get a Metal Cutting blade FREE in the saw when you buy it....No Brainer, unless you really need a Band Saw....