Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stoopid hot rod phrases

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gary in da UP, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nice reply there, Sparky. It was so wonderfully ignorant and so full of insight! ALL CAPS works well - not. Obviously, you were NOT clear in your response, because others wondered the same thing there, jackass.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  2. BrandonSilva

BrandonSilva

No I know what you mean but I don't think a hot rod means low buck or ANY dollar amount. It basically means ANY automobile that has been changed (through various degrees) to increase speed ect. Kinda like those asshole new york yankees.....they're a baseball team just like the angels but the yankees happened to have half a billion dollars invested where as the angels...well :confused:...i guess you could call them a "low-buck" baseball team:D

3. "3/4 Cam".. cos they don't know the specs!

4. Oh, let's not forget "It has a stall converter in it!"

So, WTF is a "stall" converter? Specs? Stall converter, meh. Every torque converter has a point where it begins to provide a path for power to go to the wheels. A "stall converter" is as meaningless as that "3/4-race cam"!!!

5. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

Guys who own Chevy II's and refer to them as *Deuces*.........

CB

6. I was just thinking exactly that, when I came across your post.
    That's the one that really gets under a family member of mines, skin!

7. LOWBLAZERO1

LOWBLAZERO1

ha, i was beginning to think i was the only one, i hear it so much that it makes me want to take a saw and cut the center of a wheel out. Then when someone asks if i have any "rims" for sale i can hand them just the rim.:D

8. Hot rodding- a 'sport' ? no.
    Past time or hobby, yes.
    Also, a 'Dago' is an obsolete derogatory aussie ethnic slur towards Italians.

There's 'prolly' plenty more..

9. 1arock

1arock

A guy has a 1972 chevy truck "It's rare they only made them 1 year"

10. Duece's wild

Duece's wild

The guy down the street is building one just like it, only different. ugh..

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

The use of "Dago" in relation to a hot rod has no relation to the ethnic slur for Italians. It drives from "San Diego", where one of the earlier, and popular, purveyors of dropped axles was located. Typical of language use, where lazy speech is the norm, in slang it became a "diego" or "dago" axle.

12. Wanna see how many people own computers but can't even spell the name of their own car ? Do a search on craigslist or Ebay for Camero.. You'll be amazed at how many hits you get.

13. I'm ready to see these terms and phrases disappear:

"That's sick" (When referring to something that is really good)

"Rat Rod" (When talking about a bonified traditional style Hot Rod)

"Patina" (When referring to rust)

"Back in the day" (This no longer really means anything that is useful)

"That's not traditional" (When used by people who don't really know)

"That's traditional" (When used by people who don't really know)

That's not traditonal (When criticizing something that was not necessarily intended to be traditional)

14. hotrodj54

hotrodj54

i dont know why this bugs me but when people ask me if it has original miles. original miles..as apossed to aftermarket miles? can someone clear this up for me?................................john

15. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Regarding the use of "3/4 cam"....as a description.....it may not have much value these days, but the fact is, it did in the earlier days of rodding. Not so very long ago I read an article, unfortunately long enough ago not to remember where or the details, that explained this very term.

I do remember the gist of the article and it was that racing cams of the day had common characteristics (lift, duration etc.)for the applications for which they were intended. A common reference became "full race", "3/4 race" etc. These days, with all the sophisticated cam technology, and lost history, it probably doesn't carry the same value as it once did.

Further, your attitude toward the poster is pretty harsh, in my opinion, and totally unjustified by anything he posted.

Ray

16. The word "trick" has bothered me from it's inception.. I think cos it's "trying" to hard to convince somebody else, about your own matter of preference.

17. KRITTERSKUSTOMS

KRITTERSKUSTOMS
    from JONES, OK

It's got NOS.. WTF is NOS? It used to be NewOld Stock!!! Theres not even an "S" in oxide!!!!!!!

18. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Nitrous Oxide SYSTEM (NOS)

19. Being really rude to total strangers while sitting in the safety of their home does seem to be a sport enjoyed by a few guys on here... I guess I don't get it but that's just me.

20. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ya' know? Spoggie and the rest of us car guys know that, sorry he tried to broaden your colloquial horizons with a term coined by members of the First Australian Imperial Force while stationed in Egypt WWI..................
    Another World War you bastards were late to.:(:rolleyes:

Doc.

21. BrandonSilva

BrandonSilva

:eek: Better late (than never)....right? kinda like aussie's getting into early american cars
    this thread closes in 5....4...3....2

22. ESnacky6

ESnacky6

not neccessarily 'stupid', but GROSSLY misused: 'Restored'....

Yeah, that street-rodded Model A with tweed interior, red
    paint, billet everything, 350/350, etc. etc. etc. is totally
    'restored' to perfection.... NOT..!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

I'm SUPER surprised nobody had mentioned that one yet....

23. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

"You Bastards"???? What's your problem Mate? I know the ethnic use of the term and it was widely used in the US as well..........my point was simply that in relation to cars, hot rods in particular, it does not carry the same origin or meaning. First Imperial Force??.......was that the '51 Chrysler Hemi ??

Ray

24. DDlova

DDlova
    from Virginia

why is it all Chevy 350's come out of a "vette"?

i don't really get the 3/4 cam either. i like when guys ask what kind of cam you are running and you tell them Lunati, Crane or whatever and they get all pissy. i really like it too when the tuner guys think all engines have multiple "cams".

"it'll burn the tires right of her" or "she can boil the tires clean off" i guess this is a testament to how much power or how fast a car or truck it must be?

"it's a racing engine" anything can be a "racing" part or component when it's used to "race", even grandma's walker.

i love it too when folks pronounce Edelbrock as "Eldebrock"

25. kustom66cat

kustom66cat

who the hell goes around raping apes anyway

26. BrandonSilva

BrandonSilva

who got raped by an ape?!!!

27. He replied in ALL CAPS, and being a dumbass about it, so my reply was what it was. Why do you care?

28. DDlova

DDlova
    from Virginia

i do understand the 3/4 race cam and full race cam thing, it's just the 3/4 cam thing i'm not sure of. it seems to be more of an answer to a question they don't know. "what kind of cam you running?" since the guy obviously doesn't actually know it's a "3/4 cam".

kind of like the "converter" thing mentioned earlier. they all stall, just at different speeds.

fun trying to discuss high and low gears in reference to those in a rear axle with some. high numerically or by ratio? " i'm running 4:88's" and the response" man those are high!" to me a 2 series gear is high and a 4 or 5 series is low

29. MrNick

MrNick
    from Hemet, Ca

I can remember in my hi school days reading the speed equipment catologs and the only cam specs were 3/4, full race, street, etc. Of course I'm an old fart and the hot engines were the flat heads back then.

30. I hear ya! Really low gears would be 6.14s, to us. Really high gears for a Bonneville run could be a set of 2.41 gears, maybe? I've asked that "are you speaking numerically or ratio?" question to folks telling me about their bracket or street racer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.