Register now to get rid of these ads!

"brooklyn heavy" rest in peace

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Diana The Doc, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Diana The Doc

Diana The Doc
    from New York

REST IN PEACE OUR DEAR FRIEND "OUTLAW" PRO STOCK AND STREET RACER RUFUS "BROOKLYN HEAVY" BOYD...
    _______________________________________________________________________________________________

Rufus "Brooklyn Heavy" Boyd recently passed away... "Bklyn Heavy" was a big name in Pro Stock and Outlaw Street Racing back in the 1970's... "Bklyn Heavy" drove, and when not driving, he often enlisted the driving talents of Herb McCandless... "Heavy's" mean and clean Plymouth Dusters were a favorite among fans of Pro Stock's golden era (the 70's)... I had the pleasure of meeting and interviewing "Bklyn Heavy" a few years ago... Drag Racing Underground was the guest of the Brooklyn, New York "Head Hunters" car club, the "Head Hunters" were having a big block party that featured a sizable car show, barbecue, and "on the street" burnout contest... I conducted an on-camera interview with "Bklyn Heavy" at the party, outside of a funky corner "bodega" (a small Spanish food and snack store)-- DRU has only released that interview to some folks from the H.A.M.B. board, but we'll have to make it more available to others... "Bklyn Heavy" was very nice and polite to me, a real gentleman, he shared some of his memories with me and even spoke of his desire to campaign another car at the drags... I know that I will always remember Rufus "Brooklyn Heavy" Boyd, and I know that there's certainly lots of other folks in the drag racing community who won't ever forget him--Rufus Boyd lived a full and colorful life, and there's no denying that he made drag racing history with his "Brooklyn Heavy" Pro Stockers... Heres a thought and prayer that Rufus "Brooklyn Heavy" Boyd may now Rest In Peace... Diana

2. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

3. wild willey

wild willey

RIP you will be SADLY missed!

4. R.I.P. from a fellow Mopar freak.

5. I posted this a couple days ago and it quickly dissapeared off the screen with no replys. Stuff sure gets lost 20 pages back in no time around here. A legend alot of guys have never heard of is gone. Now we'll never find out what really happened to Grumpys 68 Camaro..He wasn't just a Mopar guy. RIP http://www.nitromater.com/nhra/24505...lyn-heavy.html

6. 214Gearjammer

214Gearjammer
    from Dallas, TX

Subject of one of the greatest threads ever on the HAMB! What a life!
    R. I. P. Big man.

7. damn, -a true street racing pioneer! RIP

8. teddyp

teddyp

he was a icon in the street racer world i last saw him a few years back at a cruze nite on hyland blvr. on the island r.i.p heavy

9. wolpack8110

wolpack8110

I'm Brooklyn Heavy's Grandson please make it possible to see that interview......or tell me how I can see it.

10. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

11. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

DAMN. Rest in PEACE. Thanks Brooklyn Heavy.

Attached Files:

12. slammed

slammed

God's grace to you Rufus Boyd.

13. ELD

ELD

14. sorry for your loss bro

15. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Great life.

Attached Files:

16. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

Thanks fore the MEMORIES .. I will never forget those nites in Brooklyn, Queens.

RIP my friend you are in good company with Sox & Lyles and others..see you at the finishline one day

17. I remember building a bunch of fiberglass parts for his cars back in the early 70's.
    R.I.P Big Man

18. Zerk

Zerk

Goodbye to a class act.
    RIP Brooklyn Heavy.

19. any information on a memorial service???

20. wolpack8110

wolpack8110

memorial services for my grandfather RUFUS BOYD BROOKLYN HEAVY will be thursday at the Sampson Funeral HOME. 2601 PITKINS AVE. BROOKLYN NY hours are 4 to 8 p.m.

21. Diana The Doc

Diana The Doc
    from New York

Wolpack8110, my sincere condolences to you and your family... I'm glad that I was able to spend some time with your Grandfather, Rufus Boyd aka Brooklyn Heavy, while covering the Head Hunters car club block party... Your Grandfather was very sweet and he was in his glory at the block party because he was surrounded by lots of people who admired, respected and loved him-- It was truly an enchanting day for him... Your Grandfather was a very happy man that day... Of course I'll send you a DVD copy of the interview... I received your PM through the H.A.M.B. board and I'll be sending you an email... Diana

22. When I lived in the Detroit area back in the mid-'70's,even the hitters there respected what was going on in NYC,and Mr. Boyd's cars and his reputation was well-known. Had heard of some possible Detroit and NY matchups,but don't know if they ever occurred. THAT would have been interesting.

RIP Rufus,and Wolpack,my sincere condolences on your loss and that of your family.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010
  23. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Wolpack.
    Sincerest condolences to you and Rufus's family. What an amazing story. Slim

24. Mr.J

Mr.J
    from NJ

I painted & lettered many of "Heavy's" race car transporters & a couple of race cars. Not only was he a gentleman, but so were the guys that worked for him. R.I.P.

25. He'll be putting on the line loc at the pearly gates with Saint Peter covering the bets......God Speed Rufus.