Register now to get rid of these ads!

Custom tool box re-do

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by selohssa, Jan 4, 2010.

1. selohssa

selohssa

A while ago, I re-did the tool box that I use in my home garage. I thought of just refinishing it in factory red but that is not fun. I used viper red and alsa red flake over it. I had to reclear it to get rid of the texture but it was worth it. I tried to get the flake to stand out in the photos but i had no luck. Does anyone else have custom tool boxes? Let's see them.

IMG_2277.jpg

IMG_2343.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg

IMG_2411.jpg

IMG_2522.jpg

IMG_2535.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
  2. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Nice box man !

Bet you dont hear that often.

3. Racrdad

Racrdad

The only thing I see wrong is that you paint tool boxes in a way better place than I paint cars! :D

Kidding aside, dang nice tool box!

4. Black Primer

Black Primer

I gotta do that one of these days, mine has become a dirty, oversprayed POS. Yours looks very good.

5. Adam.Perrault

Adam.Perrault
    from Phoenix AZ

When I was a SnapOn guy I did 2 custom boxes. We bedlined the exterior of the first one in NY Jets Blue and left the drawers black. that box looked sharp. We also did a bedlined general lee box with the rebel flag airbrushed on the top under a thick piece of plastic. it looked fantastic. I will post the pics when I get home.

and the paint on your box looks fantastic!

6. selohssa

selohssa

That sounds cool, I would like to see those pics when you get a chance.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks nice and fancy but my old shop teacher always said a fancy tool box didn't make a guy a mechanic.

8. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

They also say, those who can't.....teach, I think the box looks good, any pinstripes in the future?

9. selohssa

selohssa

I agree. This is my box for at home and I just couldn't leave well enough alone (I think that a lot of us on here have that problem). I will still use it as a tool box, it will not be babied.

10. selohssa

selohssa

On the same note, a guy who does not take pride in his tools is no mechanic either.

11. selohssa

selohssa

I was thinking of some classic pinstripes but I will live with it for a couple of months and let it tell me what kind of stripes it wants.

12. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

That is fucking awesome.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Works for me. My old SnapOn box would probably love to be painted up like that but I'll keep the decals and marks that it has earned over the past 38 years.

To reiterate the Story on my old shop teacher, Mr Bill Palmer. He told the story on himself from when he graduated from a four year program somewhere in Idaho and got hired in a shop. He had run to the tool store and bought a new shiny tool box and full set of new tools and proceeded to wheel up to the shop the first morning of work and unload the nice new box full of nice new tools. He said he caught a lot of grief about being a new guy and ended up lasting a week. This went on through a couple of different shops until an old timer told him that the reason he didn't make it was that he looked too new and inexperienced with the shiny new box. He proceded to dump the tools in his driveway and took a piece of chain to the box and marked it up and then sprayed water on the whole batch and let them set for a few hours. Scuffed the tools up a bit on the gravel and cleaned them up and put them back in the box and went looking for another job where the other mechanics helped him unload the box and he worked until he had outgrown the job.

14. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

While it's certainly not as cool as yours (I'd put it in the house it's so nice:D ), I painted this one to match my TV....and did alittle customizing to the drawers.
    [​IMG]

15. FuelFC

FuelFC

And those who can't teach, teach teachers!

I like that big time.

So what is the shipping address? :0 Ironically I have the same combo with very low miles KR 555/556. I can ship mine and you can just exchange yours back even up...LOL.

Damn mine has side cabinet though...And somewhat like Denise well maybe a little more intimate all my stuff is in the bedroom! 3 rollers, 2 chests, and various others all fully loaded.

16. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Not that you've seen it :p BUT my bedoroom does have a toolbox in it with all my jewels and the guest room has two toolboxes it in. There's one in the kitchen plus the one you see in the living room. Oh yeah, and one in the garage. :D

17. selohssa

selohssa

I would really like to find one of those side cabinets as well as the middle one. If I could find them locally, I would paint them up to match.

18. Adam.Perrault

Adam.Perrault
    from Phoenix AZ

I had a customer who I sold 3 different roll aways to, he was always trading up. the whole time I tried to get this fantastic little side cab he had. I wanted it alot. had 2 drawers side by side and was a rounded corner model. It was an old SnapOn cab and we could never find any numbers on it. Just stopped by the shop the other day and he still has the side cab and I am still jealous!

19. selohssa

selohssa

I feel the same way. The guy that does the airbrushing around here has two of them. One on each side. He will never sell them because the whole box and tools are from his dad.

20. mottsrods

mottsrods

Ok, first....nice paint job on that ole box. It's beautimus.....and second..............damn Denise.....every time you say something like that (tool boxes in every room in the house) makes me realize there are only a few women out there who really do think like I do!!!

21. rbroadster

rbroadster

Wasn't exactly sure what you meant when you said that you'd customized some of your drawers!! :D

22. Adam.Perrault

Adam.Perrault
    from Phoenix AZ

here are a few pics of the custom boxes I had done.
    this is the General Lee bed-lined box.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

and here are a few of the Jets colored box
    [​IMG]
    and one of the proud owner hamming it up for the camera
    [​IMG]

23. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Here;s one that I did for my friend "Tall Mike" in Victoria BC

Attached Files:

24. racer756

racer756

what He said!^^^^^^^^^^^^^

25. selohssa

selohssa

1.jpg

2.jpg

Those are cool. I knew that I was not the only crazy one who has to customize everything. It is nice to see all of the encouraging words that people have to say on the HAMB.

Does anyone else have custom painted tool box pics to share?

26. 33Tudor

33Tudor

I bought this beat up Snap On from a friend. It had been dropped and needed so much work, I decided to paint it a different color. It's turquoise(it doesn't show up too well in pics).

Attached Files:

27. freebird101

freebird101

28. Jeff J

Jeff J

Couldn't sell my old Snap-on -box so I did this one for my wife !!:cool:

Attached Files:

29. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

Looks great, you'll hate yourself the first time you scratch it.