Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Buildy

Buildy

I agree that is not an Indy Monroe/Frontenac frame,but I think it could be the radiator,grille and also the engine.

Those cars HAD to be used somewhere after their Indy days and none of them has survived in complete form to the present. There were 7 of these cars at Indy in 1920!

Gaston Chevrolet,Louis Chevrolet,Roscoe Sarles,Joe Thomas,Joe Boyer,Art Klein,Bennett Hill.

In 1921 at Indy there were six,and in 1922 NINE.

Here is the only part of one of them I`ve ever seen. This Monroe engine is in the IMS collection.
    Do they have Monroe/Frontenac parts in the Basement at IMS? I don`t know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. jimdillon

jimdillon

Michael I would have to agree with Buildy on this one. I only mentioned the radiator shell and the engine which I believe is one of the 1920 engines. The picture is a bit fuzzy so I cannot make out the bolts on the cover plates but it has the general appearance of the 1920 four. I agree it is not one of the step downed frames and also the bodywork is not so bulbous as the 183 Frontenacs. They did build a few of these engines so they had to be shoe horned into some thing in their second go-round.

I corresponded with Ed Roy on the one pictured above as he was the man responsible for the buildup of that 1920 example. There is I believe, two more examples somewhat incomplete I have heard ,that I now believe are in Speedy Bill's collection. I would pay dearly for one of the 1916 Frontenacs but I do not believe anything other than a piece of the valve gear/head survived. A real shame as they were a pretty decent racecar.-Jim

3. MIDGET-RACER18

MIDGET-RACER18

winchester old timers reunion is slated for aug 21-22,2010

4. CincyKen

CincyKen

I am quite sure the car in question was purchased in the late 60's by a Lawrenceburg attorney with the last name of "Oakie". It was driven to many victories by Ross Smith from Saylor Park, Ohio.

It was a black number "5". I have a few pictures of the Oakie Chev Special mostly in victory lane and am sure it is the same sprinter. The only thing changed was that a cage was added.

After 2 years the car was sold to Audie Schwartz who campaigned it with much success as well. I was told that later it was sold to a racer in PA.

I have looked for the is car for years. I would love to own it. If it turns up somewhere.........."I am all in!"
    I will have Josh help post some pictures of it. It was one fast and good looking sprint car.

5. baldtireman

baldtireman

Looking For a Trevis Roadster!! Does anybody have any idea what became of the Roadster built by Floyd Trevis for Ross Westover from around Rogers,Ohio. I only saw it run a few times as a Super-modified (caged sprinter) around 1963, driven by Howard Jones, numbered as "Circle 3", painted bright red. It was BEAUTIFUL!!! What a find it would be!!! John S.

6. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Welcome CincyKen, good to hear that it survived for a while, at least. Hopefully it's still around somewhere and hasn't been cut up or parted out. I agree that it's a good looking car and it has a interesting pedigree also. Good luck in your search.

7. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Thanks for that update, CincyKen. Ross Smith did drive the Oakie car in one 1965 USAC race, Eldora, Apr. 18; finished 9th. In 1967 Oakie Draut bought a new Ron Ward car from Andy Dunlop, campaigned it for two USAC seasons as the Oakie Spl. with several different drivers, not much success. Sure would love to see photos of the earlier Oakie car with Smith or Schwartz.

In 1963, prior to the sale to the McDermotts, the car was owned briefly by Walt Beletsky. Don Branson raced it three times for Beletsky, 3rd in Reading opener Mar 24, won at Williams Grove a week later, dropped out at Langhorne, then was sold.

8. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

After digging around some more I came up with: Branson in the car as the #7 (Beletsky) at W/G March 63 and then a few months later, with Mickey Shaw up, as the #66 (McDermott) also W/G Jul. 63.

Attached Files:

9. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Welcome CincyKen! I was gonna post your "info" last night, but I've been a lil' busy! Got some "Slave Driver" car owner cracking the whip on me!! Ha ha!! :D:D:D

Glad to see ya jumping in.

J Shaw

10. Michael Ferner

Michael Ferner

Thanks for the pix of the "Monroe" engine, I couldn't find a good one in a hurry. I have to agree, the engine in the Jeffries Special looks remarkably like a 3-litre Fronty '183'. The radiator looks original, too, but as I said, it's difficult to be sure if it was. It could easily have been a copy by a good craftsman, but seeing as the engine appears to come from an Indy Fronty, so why not the rad?

11. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

My recollection on the Phillip/Porter sprinter was it was one of two built by Norm Brown. In 1962, Don Davis started in the #28 Rose trucking car. He was Killed in the other car a #54 at New bremen. Mac Miller was there. One car the #28 was sold to Beletsky, raced as the #7 was maroon in color, the other to mcDermmot for 1963.

12. Jerracer

Jerracer

Do you know what owner and number the Fike car was when it resurfaced at Ascot?

13. OldBill

OldBill
    from PA

Jim,

The No. 54 car was built, owned and usually driven by Don Brown. Don Davis was killed in it in his only ride in it on Aug. 5, 1962. Brown had qualified it and raced it in two heats that day; Davis took it over for the consy and feature after his usual Rose Trucking/Phillips-Porter car didn't make the cut. Brown continued to race it into 1963.

14. Buildy

Buildy

15. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

MAC MILLER..

The front's are 16 x 5... The "smooth" side is a 3 inch off set, and the "ribbed" side is a 2" off set. I was not able to get the weiht before they were mounted on Ribbed Stones.

J Shaw

16. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

Thanks OldBill, when I wrote Norm, I was unsure and Don Brown popped into my thought train. Flipped a coin and came up with the wrong one.

Beletsky did sell the car, came out with a Watson Offy the next season. Jimmy Maguire drove it I think the first two races, Reading and Williams Grove. Marshman drove it at Allentown in Sept.

17. Sweeney

Sweeney

We're in the process of going completely through my dad's Trostle sprinter, getting it ready for the upcoming WRA "season". Took the floor out and set it near the solvent tank as it had some grease on it from the leaking steering box.

Started cleaning it, (top first where the majority of the dirt/grease was) and then flipped it over. As I started to wipe it down, some strange yet familar lettering began to appear. The pic below is what I saw!

[​IMG]

That now explains why one corner of the floor was radiused!

We went back and forth trying to decide whether or not to reuse this piece but I think it will go in the trailer as a conversation piece now.

18. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Actually the #54 car that Don Brown built was unrelated to the Phillip/Porter #28. A spring front car and the car that he won the CRA/ROY in 61 and then run in USAC/IMCA and has a looong history. The Philip/Porter car was a collaberation between the 3 and there was only one.

Attached Files:

• db1.jpg
      db1.jpg
      File size:
      238.7 KB
      Views:
    • db2.jpg
      db2.jpg
      File size:
      120.2 KB
      Views:
  19. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Hey Bill, we're still gonna enforce that speed limit on your Dad!
    :>)
    See ya at Havasu
    http://www.westernracing.com/Schulz15.html

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  20. racer5c

racer5c

Put it back in the car!!!

21. Sweeney

Sweeney

Carl,

My name is Bill and my dad is Dave. He bought the car from Steve Enright this past summer. Not sure if he'll ever run Havasu but you never know. Orange Show for sure though.

And I wish we could enforce the speed limit! Scares the crap out of me everytime we push him off even though he does a great job in the car. Turns him from his early 70's back to being a 20-something!

22. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Tony Simon (following recovery from surgery) will be enforcing safe driving I'm sure.

Forgive me Bill, Im getting to that age where names get mixed up.
    I've met you with your dad at Orange Show in the WRA pitts and I introduced your dad at his first WRA meeting to Steve, who was selling the car. I think they made a deal then and there.
    btw: Any progress with research into your Ralph Parkinson car's history?
    [​IMG]

23. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

#98 with Parnelli driving in a late season USAC race.

24. Sweeney

Sweeney

So, this is ALL YOUR fault, huh Carl?!! :)

Are you in this picture?

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  25. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Thanks Josh! Thats what I needed to know.
    Weight is not that important, I was just curious.
    Thanks again! mac miller in INDY

26. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

No, there's not enough room for me in that photo :>) here's me sitting on the tire as Randall Cook my hired young gun takes to the track at Texas World Speedway in Nov.
    [​IMG]

27. Crudbro

Crudbro

I might be way off base with this but here goes. When Audie and Charlie Swartz moved to Ohio back in the late 60's, Audie drove a black and yellow #84 sprinter at Atomic Speedway in Chillicothe. I saw Audie's name mentioned on an earlier post about a sprintcar he had. I don't know if this is the car, but here is Charlie in a #84. Year of photo unknown.

Attached Files:

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Doesn't appear to be the former Phillips/Porter car that CincyKen was refering to. The main give away would be the angled frame tube just behind the headers, and the Phillips/Porter car had a different front axle linkage setup.

Attached Files:

29. Inmate85031

Inmate85031

30. oldtom69

oldtom69
    from grandin nd

using the highway sign for a belly pan was a common trick in the late 60's-the heat treat in the aluminum was a lot harder than the alum. you could buy at the corner store.usually had to use a propane torch to bend it in the brake or it cracked in the bend.besides if you needed one on a sunday morning to repair a crash the supply was always "available"