Register now to get rid of these ads!

56 Ford F100 hood hinge questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimcaf, Jan 4, 2010.

1. jimcaf

jimcaf
    from san diego

My buddy and I are freshening up his 56 ford F100,his hood hinges are shot. He has heard from a few guys at some car shows that with new stock replacement hinge,s it will still be sloppy and that he should put one of those reversed tilt type hood setup up from I think its called No Limit Engineering.
    Anyone have some first hand experience with the stock replacement or the tilt setup on this model,,,thanks jim

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  2. wildearp

wildearp
    from tucson, az

Yup. When I put my '56 together, I thought my hood hinges were in good shape. When I put the hood back on, I was very disappointed in just how little the hood opened. I went with one of the cheaper hood flip kits made with BMW parts. It went on in about an hour and worked great.

CPP (Classic Performance Products) sells this kit and has been having some pretty darn good sales. They post some of their stuff on evil-bay, but all you need is to grab the item number and call CPP on the phone. You get the same price and cut out the evil.

3. MichiganJames

MichiganJames

I have heard the same thing on other forums. But I do have some hinges that I pulled off my 56 project truck forsale. Im doing a full tilf front clip

4. willymakeit

willymakeit

Stock replacement will not be much better than what you already have. This is a common ailment with F100's and one of the reasons I never shut anyones hood. The tilt hoods seem to be the best in popularity.

5. saucerhead

saucerhead

I made my own tilt setup like No Limit. Works great. The hood fits the same every time you shut it. Next time you see one of these setups ask if you could make a sketch and take measurements. Thats what I did and don't regret it. The hood fit on my 56 f100 is fine.

6. rainh8r

rainh8r

To me, the biggest problem with F100 hoods is that they don't open very far. The stock hinges can work OK, but will never open up to allow access without ducking under the front edge and leaning on the radiator to get to the engine. I've seen lots of reverse opening mechanisms that work, but I don't like the look on a traditional ride, so I just tighten up the stock hinges and live with it. I'd like to find a front-opening system that would allow the hood corners to clear the fenders and open the front edge up another foot or so.

7. saucerhead

saucerhead

What kind of a dumbass would rather have an inferior hood function just because its original? Why is someone going to see your hood open unless there is something unoriginal you want them to see?

8. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

Call Mid-Fiftys Ford and get a tilt kit from them. They work really good.

9. jimcaf

jimcaf
    from san diego

Looks like hood tilt it will be,,,thanks very much for the reply's,,,,jim

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  10. SATANSSHO4

SATANSSHO4

i had a set of hinges that worked pretty good,but every time i was workin under the hood i would bang the back of my head. it was great to watch other people do it at shows but it got old i now have the no limit y2k kit it works perfect with good quality

11. krooser

krooser

Me... BTW you handle suits you...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  12. heavytlc

heavytlc

I have two 56 f100's one has good(well okay) hinges, the other not so good. I was talked out of a set of hinges from mid-fifity, they did not want to sell the reproductions to me. They told me if I wanted stock style to find good stock hinges. I do not like the forward tilt style, so I am still using my good and not so good set of stock hinges. I was happy that they would turn down a sell instead of selling me something that I would not be happy with. I buy lots of parts from mid-fifty.

13. mickeyc

mickeyc

The hood hinges on my f-100 had shouldered bolts, but the thread was only 1/4 inch. They would break the threaded end off. I welded some larger nuts that had a washer like shoulder into the hood. Not sure about size it was a long time ago. Then added a bolt that fit the nut and fit well into the hood hinge arms. Also I removed the hinges and peened the pivot points on an anvil, being careful not to make them too tight. This helped some.
    I found that it worked best when I closed the hood slowly, then pushed the rear edges down gently with the palm of my hand. One day I grabbed the hood and flung it open in anger. It went back on the hinges and broke the windshield. Use the front tilt you will be glad you did.
    MickeyC

14. mickeyc

mickeyc

By the way guys, I have a 56 F-100 sitting in the yard since 87 it is rusted badly but has not had any parts removed. It has the stainless
    windshield trim and 272 auto trans motor. When I get back from Florida (early Summer) it has to go. If anyone has an interest in some parts let me know. MickeyC

15. mickeyc

mickeyc

By the way guys, I have a 56 f-100 that has sat in the yard since 87. It has had a very few items removed. It still has the stainless wind shield trim. Also the 272 and auto tranny. The body is rusted badly. When I get back from Florida (early summer) I plan to cut it up. If anyone has an interest in parts let me go. MickeyC

16. hdrk1970

hdrk1970
    from lawrence

Would you possibly still have these?

17. Artiki

Artiki
    from Brum...

I've recently bought a '56 and have ordered several times from Mid-fifty, can't fault their service at all. Good people.

Any of you guys got any pics of your forward tilting hoods, showing the kit? Be interested to see them.

18. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

Another +1 for mid-fifty good folks to deal with and run by women too.

I have never had any luck with original hinges on the 50's F100's, When I get to that point on my 54 I'm going with a forward tilt hood as well.

19. Wick Humble

Wick Humble
    from Chico, CA

So what you're all saying is you don't have any help to offer for dealing with the stock (not very good) hinges?!
    Our F is second owner (since 1970) and is staying pretty stock; no front tilt or other exotica for it.
    The original hinges certainly are not great, and the front gaps are very hard to get right. The original owner, an old SP brakeman, of this F100 had tightened the adjusting or stay-rods so much that he'd pulled both mounts off the firewall -- and thrown them away, also! Replaced, of course, but still a headache that I guess we'll have to live with. paint chips and all. Roddin' since 1961.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  20. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

Uhh Wick this thread is seven years old

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  21. FatfenderJ

FatfenderJ

I have a set of rep ops on order from mid fifty now. 1 side is back ordered. When they come in I’ll let you know how they work.

J