Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Fordor Model A Project

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Mr. Cool, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

Here are some older pics....I'll try to dig up some more of the chassis

Photos are in no particular order....

Here is a tranny tunnel shot

[​IMG]

Here is a view from the rear window looking forward

[​IMG]

Top view

[​IMG]

Rear suspension shot. Here you can see the 18" rear kick. 4-link, coilovers, panhard, 11 gallon tractor fuel tank w/sending unit

[​IMG]

View of the tranny tunnel during construction

[​IMG]

View showing front 6" "Z" that is gusseted front and rear by .250" plate

[​IMG]

The frame is 2x3 with a .250" wall.

I'll see if I can dig up more shots on just the frame

2. az67goat

az67goat
    from Mesa, AZ

You built that for 4k? That's one of my dreams...
    awesome man...:cool:

3. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

Will have full totals when its completely done (about 95% there now on parts).....should be right around $4100-$4300 when all is said and done.

Lot's of time at swap meets, some ebay, local junkyards, bought one donor vehicle ($500) to get the engine..parted that out for close to $1000!, ....That's right..I put out $500 for the truck, parted it out got $1000 cash back as well as a 454 Engine!

What else comes to mind.....Free (case of beer) bucket seats out a couple skidsteers, $100 tranny that I went thru for another $100.....

Ton of self fabricated parts (framework, headers -including the flanges!, all little brackets, shock mounts, motor plates and even the $30.00 Rustoleum paint job!

4. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

Nice weather today...so had to take advantage of it!!!

Did the final welding on the headers, welded on some collector rings. degreased, lightly sandblated, coated with RUSTOLEUMS 2000* header paint.

Installed the floor and rear deck...still have to carpet it...but will wait til the car is near the finished stage so it doesn't get all messed up

The floor and rear deck it .750" weatherproof plywood. Got some stain at Homey Depot and had them tint it black....applied that to the plywood.

The wood is bolted to the framework, but put down beads of silicone just to eliminate any possible rattles.

The seats are just placed in there..not mounted yet until a floor covering is installed (just thinking about using a rubber mat).

Waiting for my marine grade vinyl to come in....then I'll make the snap on top, door panels, even thinking about covering the tranny tunnel with it as well...but that is still up in the air.

Attached Files:

5. oldrodder43

oldrodder43

What is the fuel tank, and where did you get it, and how much did it cost, please? I need to get something similar at least. Got a small space. :(
    Thanks. Perley

6. citcapp

citcapp
    from Bothell WA

What can I say by SWEET. Great budget build

7. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

Had that tank for a little while...was going to use it on another project but went with a fuel cell instead.

Bought that tank from my local "MUSTANG" dealer...not the car...the little bulldozer thingamajig.

Holds 11 gallons, 0-90 ohm sending unit, bottom output, couple vents on top. I paid around $120 about 5 years ago.

Measures aprox 22" long x 12" high and 12" deep

8. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Baad to the bone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

Thanks guys....much appreciated!!! :D

10. Ravenwood

Ravenwood
    from Texas

Nice work. Go ahead and plumb the grille to be an oil cooler. :D

11. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

You're about the 10th person to suggest that!! :p

12. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

Well... after some Chineese Flexplate issues (Summit Brand SFI FLEXPLATE teeth shattered when cranking it!!--Ended up buying a B&M brand))....I was able to bolt this baby together and fire her up yesterday!!

I set STATIC timing to about 8* BTDC so she would at least start up...eyballed the rough idle screw, topped off the fluids and crossed the fingers!!!

The engine was a TRANSPLANT out of another vehicle...Simple installation..but you just never know!

Turned the key...I bet the engine only rotated once and fired right up!!! Idle was pretty darn close as well!!! Ran the tranny thru the gears ---all looks good!

I'm glad I didn't bleed the brakes yet or I would have been tempted to take her out in the 17* temp, snow on the ground, and no windshield yet!!!....in due time she'll be out and about!!!

Here is a YOUTUBE short video of the car:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTURv1E_pWw

13. Mr Cool;
    really like cor and paint job. Painted my 1950 ford F1 with forest
    green Rust-Oleum back in 64 and drove it for 3 years. First and only
    auto paint job I ever did and everyone always said it looked nice.
    Your car and paint job have inspired me and I'll paint my roadster
    same way when it's done.
    Did a search and can't find what a Mustang bulldozer is! Help???
    Thanks,
    Bill.

14. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

classy car done right, great job! drive the hell out of it!!!

15. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

I do love my $30.00 paint job everyday when I go out to the garage!!! Car is not even on the road and had so many compliments about it from people stopping over for the holidays!!

Here is a Mustang Dozer /skid steer

[​IMG]

Thank you and I will!!!

16. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

Dude, That is one bad 4-dr. Tell you what , I'll take it off your hand for $4000.00 and save you any more time wanting to drive it in the cold weather. LOL!!! Enjoy it.

17. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

LOL!!! Good one!!!....

It will be enjoyed!!

18. woodman

woodman

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 10"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CDOCUME%7E1%5CWoody%5CLOCALS%7E1%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman";} </style> <![endif]--> Don’t judge it too much and some will hate it. You of all people shouldn’t give a shit what others think. You are a true craftsman and hot rod builder. That is one nice ride.

19. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

Thank you

20. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

21. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

Took her out for a spin around the block last night...all is good!!! My face is still defrosting (no windshield and 16* out)...but ran, steered, shifted and stopped!!! Video to soon follow!

22. FrankBoss

FrankBoss

Very nice... My Dream Car is a 4 door model A , your Just makes me want one even more.

Frank

23. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

Here are a few more pics...

Got my safety glass winshield in....

[​IMG]

Made my snap on/off vinyl roof...52 snaps!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Dash shot

[​IMG]

Here is a quick drive around the block...1st time out!

http://www.youtube.com/v/SQpNsOGP_hs

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  24. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

Fisrt burnout pics!

Attached Files:

25. Mr. Cool

Mr. Cool
    from Northeast

First show for the car....left with BEST OF SHOW trophy!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

26. 31choppedfordorA

31choppedfordorA
    from canada

Will you be running a back seat ?