Register now to get rid of these ads!

removing oil smell from interior

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 6-71, Jan 4, 2010.

1. 6-71

6-71

Yes I did search before asking!! I have an OT car that my dumb assed son in law spilled?or dumped about 3 qts.of used oil in the spare tire well.I cleaned up all the oil,and everything that was in the trunk.The car really reeks of dirty motor oil.I am going to sell this vehicle soon and really need to get rid of this smell.The oil didnot get anywhere but the spare tire well,I checked under the rear seat etc.and it is clean.

2. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

brake cleaner. it will do the trick..then let it air out.

3. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

I've never had any oil that smelling bad. What kind was it?;)

4. dead last 63 f100

dead last 63 f100
    from detroit

use a 1/2 cup of tide yes tide and water in a 24oz spare bolttle :D

5. 6-71

6-71

I dont know what kind it is,but it smells like burnt used oil.The smell is great to me,but I fear a potential buyer may not like it.:)

6. nutajunka

nutajunka

Get a one dollar bottle of dawn dishwashing liquid. I use it on my work clothes and it takes the grease and oil right out and should do the trick for you, they have it in fancy scents also.

7. dadseh

dadseh

and sprinkle plenty of soap powder on it to soak up and wash down well with water

8. Bull

Bull

We sell a product called Auto Fresh. It will eliminate the odor instead of just covering it up with perfumes, etc. like other products out there. See my post signature for the website and a HAMB discount!
    [​IMG]

9. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

Throw a couple cats in there for the night... You'll forget all about the oil smell!

10. hotrod-Linkin

hotrod-Linkin

i need to tell my wife about this stuff.

11. Unibodyguy

Unibodyguy

If its located only to the trunk area, 2 things that I've used worked pretty well. But I've used them on interiors that have a musty smell. Get a bunch of Bouce Dryer sheets and put them and let them do the job for a while. Also something else that I did was get some charcoal that you use for a aqarium filter (fishtank) and spread it out on a sheet or in a small box and leave it in there for a few days/week. The charcoal absorbs up the smell.This type of charcoal worked the best because its more porous. Both worked for me.

Michael

Michael

12. Cat Litter. Pour it in the tire well, let it sit for a day and vacuum it out and then ues the above methods to clean it up. It will all work much better if you dry it up first with cat litter, I did it with Trans. fluid once, in the back seat footwell, nothing worked till I used the litter.

13. Boozer

Boozer

+1 maybe mix in some baking soda..... of course after hitting it with the dawn and brake kleen

14. Just Jones

Just Jones

Charcoal absorbs odors. Once the oil itself is cleaned up, try sticking a pan full of charcoal brickettes in there for a day or two. I've had success with this in the past.

- Speedy

15. KennyJr07

KennyJr07

Dry it as much as possible. Ive used a solid coating of powder laundry soap patted down, let sit for a couple days then vaccum. Sometimes a second appplication is needed.

16. FANTASY FACTORY

FANTASY FACTORY

go to your local plumbing/boiler supply house, there is a spray product for killing the aroma from oil spills and puff backs.

17. yardgoat

yardgoat

I knew that was coming,,,lol..............YG

18. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

A good amount of baking soda. Removes cigarette odor too.