Register now to get rid of these ads!

what's the biggest turnoff for you when looking at a car or project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ironandsteele, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. There's really only one thing that bugs me on other peoples cars, and thats crooked tailpipes. When you're behind someones ride and you can see one is pointed in a slightly different direction than the other. I've cut and re-welded the pipes on my cars sometimes 2 or 3 times before I'm satisfied they're symetrical. To me its such a glaring imperfection, but doesn't seem to bug most people.

2. IFS, IRS, on 28-34 cars/trucks, SBC, those cheapass chrome "sawblade" wheels you see on every ghetto-cruiser used on ANY classic car, Colored wire looms, auto-parts store dressup shit, like the fake braided steel hose kit (LOL's!) THAT GOD-AWFUL "CHROME" PLASTIC DOOR-EDGE SHIT wrapped around every edge, gas-doors, etc..... I know theyre mostly in new cars but T-Tops suck ass too, wont buy a car with a sunroof.... Oh I also agree with the guy above who said he hates the cheap hillbilly jackass wh says "ya cant have the battery though"....... And hearing that bullshit story about "not being able to grab a $100 bill off the dashboard blah blah blah".....

James

3. scumbag tweaker bitch selling a vehicle with no title that you know she doesn't own.

4. woodman

woodman

If it doesn't have a title I am not interested. Been through HELL trying to title hot rods.

5. Hahaha, yeah, I've always figured if the car is really all that fast, the $100 bill should fly off the dash and paste itself to your face.

6. pdc

pdc

A 30's or 40's car painted like a ice cream cone; 2-tone pastel paint that looks like it's drippin'. Open the door and it's got leather captain's chair seats, with a massive console packed with digital gauges. Oh, don't forget the crate 350 with polished TPI, backed by a 700r4, ran into a chromed out Jag. rearend. Don't wanna get into the Boyd wheel subject. Wait I just described some of the cars parked inside and or outside of the Louisville NSRA.

7. pdc

pdc

One more thing neon light kits. WTH!

8. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

haha. i bought a harley a while ago that the dude had put little hidden LED's and neon all over the thing. i was like "hey what's this switch here" and as i said it i flipped it on and immediately started laughing. neon blue everywhere.
    he was all excited! thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever done.

once i got done beating him up on the price and the deal was struck, we loaded it into the bed of my truck. once i got two straps on the bars i told my buddy "start ripping that fucking neon shit off of there while i do the paperwork with this guy"

shoulda seen the dude's face when we walked out of the garage and my friend is squatting between the bike and the bed of the truck with a knife, pliers, and a pile of wire and neon a foot tall.

then my friend asks "you want this shit back?"

he wasn't amused but i got a cool bike for a good price and that was about the only real bad thing i had to correct on it. haha.

9. Swifster

Swifster

Seeing a really nice car and the owner was cheap on the interior. This is usually after he ran out of money.

10. Nostalgic Dave

Nostalgic Dave

Congrats on your purchase! I just picked up a '60 Buick myself. Bitchen lines on these cars!

11. glossy black paint and it's over spray in the engine area, or :rebuilt engines" that were painted in the compartment, and only the top half (bottom half still rusty brownish color. or Armor-all all over the engine and hoses trying to make them all look fresh and new.

12. pdc

pdc

Thats priceless dad bought a Harley from a gut that had a set off Texas Long horns mounted below the windshield. What do people think, wait they don't.

13. tudorkeith

tudorkeith

too pushy of a salesman. telling you what you are looking at, I don't mean work he has done but just the" look at how straight it is" crap. I can see what is in front of and what I can't see needs to have documentation of the rebuild or I assume I will have to put in work. " the facts maam, just the facts"!

14. billsill45

billsill45
    from SoCal

Fuzzy dice, gaudy looking batteries, whitewall tires, vinyl window logos and lettering, window tint, back end jacked up with long spring shackles, big-ass speakers in the trunk, steering wheel covers.

15. twofosho

twofosho

Handling it that way might have made you "good", but it sounds like your smugness missed a chance for post "deal" knock. After the title and money changed hands and the bike was in your truck, politely telling him you didn't need the "extra" lighting and offering to sell it back to him "for his next ride" might netted a few more bucks off. Might have saved you the time to sell it on Craigs List.

16. Bullet Man

Bullet Man

i hate subframes that are too wide for the front of the car and the tires look like they hit the fenders. any modern interior transplants, cheap chrome wheels and all the bull shit like it has 20 coats of clear, it will do 80 mph all day long, and the famous i'd drive across the country tomorrow.

17. Muttley

Muttley

Hacked up dash for a modern radio.

18. Already been said but I'll say it again: disk brakes, electric fans, and radials. The three mortal sins on a period hot rod. Most of my friends have at least one of each, so sorry if I'm an asshole.

19. I know you roll with 17 screenz in yo shit, foo. Fo shizzle my nizzle.

20. Bumper sticker:
    Get down, sit in, git up, and put out! Or something like that. Ass, Gas, Grass, maybee?

21. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

A car equipped with all upullit parts ,Interior Guages door handles ,Ive seen many modified original cars with a 90's flare .

22. 4ever18

4ever18

The smaller stuff that unbolts isn't so bad - It will sell - either to the recycler or someone of similar taste of the seller. Two things that will normally cause me to walk away are either/or a Camaro/Nova subframe and a lying seller. I have no tolerance for a liar or theif (they are using my air)

23. Cut in sunroofs!
    Can't get by all of the shit in the building, to see the car
    Car is full of shit-garbage, cig butts, old diapers, cat food, mouse shit, etc.
    "can't find the title right now..but should be real easy to get"
    Holes cut in dashboard
    SBC in anything other then a Chev

24. Landseer

Landseer
    from VA

Bug infestation.

25. Keep

Keep

That pretty much covers it for me.

26. Can't stand the a$$holes that play that cat & mouse game. You know the type. They're the ones that have "No Idea" what they want for the car - none. They claim to be totally clueless of the value to them. Then you make an honest offer and the guy says he couldn't let it go for that. So, you DO know what you WILL take for it then! Just tell me and stop wasting my time.

27. Tall back buckets are bad but worse when you notice the arm rest! Of course all cover in tweed or crushed velour!

28. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Turn offs in pre-1964 cars:

SBC in anything but a Chevy
    Corrugated plastic wire looms, especially chrome and bright colored ones
    Modern seats & door panels
    Modern OEM steering wheels that came with the tilt column that was swapped in
    Low profile tires

29. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

if the seats were the only thing wrong with it..that can be easily delt with.
    20 min. and problem solved.

but if it has those seats, digital dash, pastel paint job, and goofy no side wall rubber band tires, and some goofy shit hung all over it..Im outa there.
    when it gets down to removing 1/2 the cars personality and looking into 2x the work, and what the dude is asking for it!..I would rather start with a blank canvas

30. Usually its the price that turns me off. You can change anything that bolts on or in. We are talking project car right?

I think my biggest turn off is the fella that won't sell it to you because you are not a restorer.

I looked at a 50 Stude coupe back in '03. It ran OK and the tranny and clutch worked but the brakes were weak. The guy asked what I was going to do with it. I told him that the first thing I was going to do was fix the brakes and tag it and drive it.

He said " you can't drive a car like this its a classic!!" and refused to sell it to me. I had cash in hand and he could see it and still wouldn't sell me the car.

Major buzz kill.

So I guess that for the most part my biggest turn off has always been the seller.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.