Register now to get rid of these ads!

Most Expensive Ride You Got to Drive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dennis kirban, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

yup. you win. that's awesome.

2. mbmopar

mbmopar
    from Canada

back in 93/94 got to drive an orig block 1970 Plymouth HEMICUDA 4 spd shaker car, IN VIOLET purple ( plum crazy if it were a DODGE ) white guts, stage 3 setup to a show and back for a fellow club member......man it was fast, hot, noisy and FUN FUN FUN !!!!!!!!!!

light those mothers up !

3. I once drove on of those pointy nosed v-12 6 speed bmw's. this was new around 93?
    While driving it I remeber smoking the tires but not being able to tell cause it felt like you were riding on a cloud. I'd imagine you can buy them cheap nowadays.

But the best is a friends 37' "Coffin nose" Cord "812" Supercharged Phaeton, that I ocasionally maintain and drive for him.
    Our last road trip that I chauffered him on was 351 miles!!!
    While this car is fairly origional, the last time I looked these up on the web I found one restored going for a bit over $300,000.oo!!!!!!!!!! I almost shit myself!!!!!!!
    My friend affectionatly refers to his Cord as "The Old Boiler". It's a fine machine...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  4. swazzie

swazzie

5. Doc Squat

Doc Squat
    from tulsa, ok

I traveled on the road for years for a company where I worked three months on and three months off. In the time I had off I helped out a shop where they took Ferraris that had been made street legal USA and returned them to street legal Italy. We put back on the original exhaust manifolds, mufflers and five mph bumpers. We left on the speedo face that was changed to mph. Got to "Test drive " quite a few of them, mostly Boxters.

6. studhud

studhud

F50 Ferrari
    Not hamb friendly but incredible. Stopping was more impressive than accelerating.
    Dave Hitch

7. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

As a 17 year old kid I was the new car prep guy and got to test a brand new 1966 HEMI Plymouth Belvedere had a bunch of the other guys that volunteered to come on the test ride. One old doctor had a 65 4 door 426 superstock sleeper that his son picked out the engine got to test driver that too. Another dealer prep brand new 1968 HEMI Roadrunner with the cheapo first taxi style interiour man were they cheap looking.

8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

9. charlesf

charlesf

A year ago, a client offered me a drive in his new Bentley. W-12, twin turbo, awd, WOW. He didn't know what the shift paddles were for til I demonstrated them. 120mph in a heartbeat!

10. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In no real order, I've driven them all a substantial amount of miles:
    64 289 Cobra

83-4 Ferarri 512 BBi (X 2)

88 Ferarri Testarossa (again X 2)

Lambo Coutach (X 3 and they suck, cept for backin up! If you can do it you know...)

69 COPO Camaro

68 Shelby GT 500KR

69 Boss 302

06 Bently (heavy and F A S T)

08 Lambo Gellardo conv

33 Cadillac V-16 Conv Sedan (one of 3)

31 Duesenberg Murphy Roadster

32 Duesenberg Murphy Roadster

31 Chrysler Dual Cowl Phaeton

47 or 48 Delahaye (ex Rita Hayworth)

34 Packard Roadsters (1 8, 1 Super8, 1 V-12)

34 Packard Super8 Conv Sedan

34 Packard 5pass cpe, like a Vicky, (X 2, and not too bad since there's 7 known)

39 Packard Super8 Derham Parade Paheton (ex Juan and Evita Peron)

41 and 42 Packard Darrins

Yeah I know I put the Packards last, in their class nothing, NOTHING, drives better. This is the 'short list'. I'd like to take every HAMBer I know for a drive in a Packard. Yeah, that good. Next?

11. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I got to drive Gray Baskervilles Roadster, about 20 feet, at the Duece 75th Anniversary. Short ride but one I'll always remember. Not sure you could put a price on it though.

12. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

Those Cords, like a few others from that time period were way ahead of their time. I may be wrong but that BMW you refer to may be a 850 model coupe.....

[email protected]

13. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

Just curious how did you happen to have such a opportunity to drive all these cars. Neat how Packard kept their logo hexagon symbol on their wheel or wheel covers every year....at least from what I remember.....

[email protected]

14. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

In Don Garlits museum in Ocala sits a plain jane 4 door Dodge or Plymouth can't member which with a 426 Hemi. Couldn't be many 4 door ones built originally.
    The ultimate sleeper.....

[email protected]

15. My RV lists for $205,000.

16. Many years ago I drove a '61 Maserati. I don't remember too much about the car except that it had multiple carbs and was all aluminum bodied. Also drove a '67 Corvette 427/435.

17. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

63 Corvette,,and an old Ford Pantara( Very noisey car ) ,,Hemi Cuda,,some crazy expensive 90's Benz

and stuff im sure I have forgotten

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  18. 49 lincoln

49 lincoln
    from reno

Cool stories!
    Not sure it's value, but a local club owner let me drive his '64 Porsche 356 over the hill from Sacramento. They were doing construction and at one point I was going uphill between two concrete barriers and It sounded pretty cool. I remember wanting that style carpeting in my Lincoln.

19. firemancooter

firemancooter

Boss at the shop I used to work at was a corvette guy. He had a 66 427/435 4 spd with factory sidepipes, what a ride!! We worked on alot of corvettes so i got to drive alot of different ones. I also got to drive a cobra replica with a 428 5 spd for a week.

20. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Can't be the same one this 4dr had the super stock 426 wedge engine and the stupid son wrecked it... cops thought it was funny he was at our local "Test your Hot Cars Here" spot on a local backroad and there were acceleration marks leading up to the brake skids where he went off the road.

The burning tire marks were as long as the brake marks that thing was like an old FED it just spun the crap out of the skinny bias ply tires as long as he had the pedal floored.

21. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

Big Old Rolls Royce.......

Attached Files:

22. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I restore high-end cars as a day job. Like I said it's a short list. I forgot about 3 different 32-3 Auburn 12 speedsters and 1 Cord phaeton. Packard logo, yes indeed. It was a carryover from the early days. The red over the wheel nut indicated it was properly torqued and became something to recognize. Oh yeah, I also got to play around with a 65 Plymouth super stock and a 67 Cuda racer. I regret the opportunity to drive a Ferarri F40 was passed. He'd just aquired it and I didn't want to risk it until the guy drove it 1st. Well he did, it scared him, he sold it. What a pussy...:cool:

Oh yeah, I forgot that I spent 10min driving the Jesse Vincent Speedster (Packard) at Hershey 08. How could I forget that?!?

23. 92 Viper, 63 Rolls Royce, 69 Charder 500 Hemi auto(non recesssed windows)I think 1 of 14
    Don

24. AlteredChevy

AlteredChevy
    from Chi Town

Lots and lots of early vettes!! but the coolest was a 63 zo6 factory race car!

25. Al Napier

Al Napier
    from Central CT

I've been fortunate to drive a *real* 427 Cobra, a Pantera, a Rolls Silver Cloud, a couple Porsche 911's and an Alky Nostalgia Funny Car over the years amongst some other interesting cars here and there.

The Cobra probably impressed me the most, I could see people getting in trouble real quick driving one of those beasts on 1960's tires.........

Al in CT...errrr, I mean TN (as of this past weekend)

26. FC49

FC49

That particular BMW, according to an article I read (or think I read) back in early 60s, didn't have enough power for the person who bought it from Elvis, so in went a highly-tweaked 283. The original 507 engine was a tiny pushrod V8 with twin carbs and maybe 125 HP on a good day. The sight of a SBC-engined 507 today would caused massive head explosions among the purists. That alone would make it worthwhile.

FC

27. had the opportunity at college to drive an original Sunbeam Tiger, XKE Jaguar and Shelby Cobra. THOSE WERE THE DAYS.

28. #1 Kawboy

#1 Kawboy
    from Fl

I got to drive the REAL Corvette Grand Sport #3 (i think) Penske Conv. although it was only a few feet. I got to move it a show 10 years ago. I almost pissed myself !! Those are the most beautiful 'Vettes ever !! LOOOOOOONG Story !!

29. There were three US '66 Coronet 4-dr HEMI cars, and one Canada car. Two of the US cars were sold in Wichita, KS brand new (I have pics of the red and white cars when they wer still there). The other US car ended up in Sweden about 25 years ago and is probably still there. The Canada car (blue) is still there, too.

I had the opportunity to buy the red Hemi '66 back in about 1986 or so. No cash then. Damn!

Total of four 1966 Coronet four-door HEMI cars built, and the ONLY factory four-door HEMI cars, PERIOD. No special HEMI cop cars, wagons, or any of that. NO Hemi Polara, Monaco, or Fury C-body cars. If you ever run across any other four-door HEMI car that the owner claims was a "special FBI/cop/sheriff/whatever" pursuit car, etc, it was the local/State/Federal agency that converted an existing car to a HEMI.

30. markjenks

markjenks

Wow, thanks for reminding me. I know it doesn't count, but I got a ride in a 68 Vette with a 427 around the block.

He didn't let me drive it, but the ride was worth it!

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.