Register now to get rid of these ads!

what's the biggest turnoff for you when looking at a car or project?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ironandsteele, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

body in the trunk

2. Rowdy_one

Rowdy_one
    from Oh

Lots of things, mostly any sign of poor workmanship.
    Big wheels and rubberbands for tires. ( what dumbass decided these look good)
    Engines that come in a box all ready to go. (Crate motors)
    Auto Trans in a "Traditional" hot rod? WTF is with that? We took autos out and put standards in fer corn sakes LOL

3. NOTCH

NOTCH

Ah shit i have a long list but what kills me the most is frickin sunroofs!

4. NINE INCH

NINE INCH

5. Joe King

Joe King

Oh Crap

6. oh shit , make that 4 turn offs i have

7. Captain Chaos

Captain Chaos
    from Missery

seeing a SB chity under the hood. looked at 63 super 88 , not bad till he starts to brag about SBC , I turhned and saw the gawd awful interior then with all the speakers, I almost offered half and told him to keep the crap so I could save that poor Olds .

Seriously , bad welds kills me every time and soon as a catch a lie from seller I start to drift .
    sometimes I stay and screw with them to hang them up on the lies , depends on my mood that day .

8. havi

havi

First and foremost, any car I look at is a bucket of rust or undone project, never more than $500. That said one thing is always a major bummer.... that is no title. Everything else can be repaired, but you can't make a title. It's something that always has to be put in someone else's hands. And usually in the hands of someone who hates you, lol.

9. Big Block Bill

Big Block Bill

I hate the usual.....you ask specific questions and you get interested, then you invest time, sometimes money to go see what you discussed, only to find out the car was misrepresented, especially the specific questions. It's like they figured they lied so you will not see what you asked about.

10. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

AMEN to that!

11. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i agree completely!! you can literally take almost any car in the world and make it look right with the right stance and the right wheel and tire combo.
    most people don't subscribe to that idea, and try to compensate by doing every unnecessary thing in the world to the car. or others try to achieve this, but have no idea what the "right" wheels/tires/ and suspension might be for that particular car..
    sad really.

12. redsteely

redsteely
    from Phoenix az

13. whew...still only 4 , there may be hope for me yet

you guys are WAY to serious

14. BCR

BCR

Rust pushing up bondo under fresh paint and a 29.95 chrome engine dress up kit under the hood.

15. NOTCH

NOTCH

and don't forget ugly ass pastel paint!

16. Rusted Drip Rails. i get called to look at cars for people every now & then, & if its rusted in this area i always pass, unless i can get a huge discount for it. had to repair this area on my ex's 58 olds & its scarred me for life hahaha

17. tooslow54

tooslow54

Late model seats, digital dashes, sbc's...hell, you could turn around and sell those things on ebay and get back some $$$. To me it's just plain and simple: Rust. I can't sell that shit.

18. von Dyck

von Dyck

Go to a car show or a show-n-shine, cars have hoods up to show off their blinged up engines with colored wire looms running everywhere, braided hose everywhere (poorly fitted ends too), gaudy colored plug wires, orange Accel ignition coils, cheap chrome dressup stuff that rusts in the first summer of humidity. To top it all, some guys do a really nice job in the engine bay and then use a $2.59 battery cable repair clamp on one or both battery posts, ya know, the one with the two small bolts with a flat strap pinching the cable to the clamp! Also crimped-on wire connectors with colored plastic sleeves.

19. It depends on if it's a car I'm interested in or not. Most anything can be changed or fixed. But I hate aftermarket gauges, big rims with rubber-band tires, in fact most billet aluminum stuff is a turn off.

20. knumb knuts

knumb knuts
    from tempe az

IFS on an early ford, especially a mustang II slopped in. Whether pirated from the scrap yard or from the after market. Might not be a big issue to builders more talented than myself (which most probably are), but always looks like a mess of work to "correct" the problem

21. shoveled71

shoveled71

To me the worst is when some fool puts a new dash in an old car or truck, seen a early 50s Chevy truck a while back, looked great on the outside, look in and hes got a mid 80s Monte Carlo dash in it, looked like hammered shit with the big steering column and wheel, if you wanna newer car buy one. Spike

22. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

turn offs,rust ,tweed,ifs, filled body lines,shaved door handles,and sbc.

23. SaltCityCustoms

SaltCityCustoms

Price, everything after that can be fixed/changed as long as I can get a good enough deal on it.

24. heatmiser

heatmiser
    from mia

i agree that most things can be fixed especially if the price is right...but i usually won't look very hard at a car that's been dechromed!! or painted chrome and bumpers... and hot rods w/ odd wheelbases, no matter how good the fab work may be...

25. socalkenny

socalkenny

Some ass who've never done anything on a car telling me how he'd do it better!

26. Hot Turkey

Hot Turkey

SBC,
    My kinda crowd

27. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

It's always a downer when it's not a 33 three window or roadster.

28. jamesgr81

jamesgr81

Somebody said it - Bad workmanship! Hacks, hatchet jobs, butchered wiring, amateur welding - especially the so called Rat rods with beer can overflow and rust. I've seen some real junk at the Hot Rod Reunion. Where is the craftmanship in that?

I also detest those ugly consoles that seem to the rage. Making a rods interior look like a jap cars interior sux ...like driving in a platic bathtub.

Bored with Maltese crosses and the ubiquitous skulls but I guess they are part of the counterculture look...

29. Biggest turnoff:

Massive cakes of shattered bondo over severe rust damage.

30. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

no! don't buy into that theory!!

those people do not represent the us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.