Register now to get rid of these ads!

Most Expensive Ride You Got to Drive

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dennis kirban, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jbon64

jbon64
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

lotus espirit . that thing was faster than the word of god.

2. Captain Morgan

Captain Morgan

do $650,000 fire trucks count? :D

3. lamy_chop

lamy_chop
    BANNED

i've "driven" an ah-1w super cobra. got about 20 minutes of stick from the front seat. it was more exciting than ANY roller coaster i've been on before or since.
    car wise.........hmmmmm...........a viper..... i think that's about it.
    i have ridden one of the pre-production can-am spyder's. worth, at the time, somewhere around $2 million.
    oh yeah, i've taxied several CRJ 700 and will be getting taxi certified for the cessna citations i work on.

4. THE_DUDE

THE_DUDE

dude!!!!!!!

5. indyjps

indyjps

Most expensive: new Escalade, new Volvo semi when I was 15, Caterpillar 777 mining truck (thats expensive)
    Coolest: 2 Vipers, some 11 sec 5.0's, my '69 Camaro, father '65 Impala SS, '79 vette 8K original miles, 71 Camaro drag car 10 sec nitrous car

6. Bullrack

Bullrack
    from Louisiana

My '07 Peterbilt 4-axle and 3-axle Liddell lowboy with 4th-axle flip. 625hp Cat and 18spd. New, it cost $240 and I haul some pretty exspensive equipment. It's pretty common for me to be rolling more than a million $ down the highway with freakin idiots all around.

Car wise: probably would say some of the many Vipers, Mustangs, or Corvettes that John Henessey, of Henessey Motorsports, frequently brings home to Deville, La. I would say the 1200hp Viper he was sportin last year.

7. A red 63 split window vett to pick up a date in. Hell it was only a used car back then.

8. The most expensive car I ever drove was the Chrysler Turbine car of the early sixties. I was an engineering student at UCLA when a Chrysler team visited the campus with one of the turbine cars. A few of the engineering students found out which motel they were staying at and paid them a visit that night. We were all given the opportunity to drive the car. Chrysler must have spent a ton developing it and then produced only 55 units. All but nine were destroyed by Chrysler. I have no idea what one would be worth since I have never heard of one being sold.

Charlie Stephens

9. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

Interesting side note on Porsches...friend of mine toured the factory a few years back....if the engine falls below just one HP of the claimed specs they pull it from the line.

If true thats pretty impressive...

[email protected]

I mention that since Porsche has showed up quite a number of times in this thread.

Interesting, unless I missed it, no one lays claim to driving the Ford GT or the GT40 both versions over 100 grand plus in value.

10. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

I had a split window back in 1971-72 your rite paid like $2400 for the car. What made my unusual, is it never had a radio. If you remember those dash boards it took a vertical radio, my car was never cut out for a radio. had to be rare as anyone buying a Corvette back then would certianily spring for a am radio!

Bad news is car got stolen a few years later and I did not carry insurance on it.

[email protected]

Lots of interesting stories and a wide variety of cars.

11. BMR

BMR
    from ill.

schramm 450gt. I drive it ever day.

12. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

A couple of years ago I got a chance to drive one of the Flying Lizard Motorsports Porsche
    911 GT3 RSRs at Thunderhill Raceway in Northern California. The track was closed and they were there for testing some of new components and setting the cars up for the Rolex 24hr at Daytona. I had gone down the straightaway and into turn 1 at 100mph in a Spec Miata before, but going into turn 1 at about 140 was a totally different story. Each of these cars was around $500k in race trim.....................here is a picture of me going down the back straight towards turn 14................what a rush!

Attached Files:

13. Well...never got to drive it but i did spend 500 hrs working on it. 69 Maserati Ghibli

Attached Files:

14. 4ever18

4ever18

I worked at the local Ford dealer in 1971/2. I was able to drive a lot of what are now very expensive cars, Boss 429 Mustang, 428 Super Cobra Jet Mustang, SS 396/375 hp Camaro, 440 SE Dodge Charger, 427 '68 Corvette. You get the drift - I was 18 years old and wasn't afraid to "enjoy the machine". But, the most expensive car that I had a chance to ride in was a '64 Factory light weight Plymouth (426 hemi, aluminum body panels, bumpers, etc). The Plymouth belonged to a older cousin (Chrysler Engineer). You should hear him cry now about how he gave away what would have been a very nice adjustment to his retirement fund.

15. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

a few years ago while working at a ford dealership, when those gt40's came out the owner let me drive the one we got. he liked me a lot because i always volunteered to work on his restoration projects (mostly corvettes surprisingly)

he was a crazy bastard, he was almost always drunk and would drive the gt40 to the bar, have a "few" drinks and drive it around in the rain. ha.

16. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

While on the subject of the Ford GT40 and GT.....

I am sure readers know why Ford could not call the new version a GT40 but rather simply called it a GT.

See how quick someone hits on the reason....

[email protected]

17. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

i'll guess that someone else besides ford owns the copyrights to "gt40" and wouldn't give it up?

18. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

You are correct...I am told the owner or owner(s) wanted a big price for the rights to use the GT40 name plate and Ford passed. Probably a good thing since I think production was limited to 2-3 years anyhow.

[email protected]

19. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

harsh. i wonder what the number was to use gt40? seems like ford coulda popped for the price if they wanted to. especially back in 2005 or so.

20. russ1403

russ1403

i worked as a valet a couple years ago,,i dont know what the most expensive car i drove there was excatly but i drove cars like 911 porsche's,audi tt,range rover,escaldes,bmw,mini cooper,etc,,the "old" car that was the most expensive i drove was my friends 1956 porsche 356 coupe.

21. 1941ihkb5

1941ihkb5

Got to drive a red xke jag, I was still in high school. My boss had me change the oil and wash it. Those were the days!

22. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

In early 80's a friend of mine had a 69 trans am convertable. Wasn't the fastest car but was very cool. We knew it was rare as there were only 8 made. Not sure what there worth now.

23. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

I heard it was something outrageous. Be kinda funny in a few years if some widow advertises one on Craigs list and list it is a 2005 Ford GT and buyers think its a Mustang. Its like the stories you heard years ago widow advertises a 1954 Chevrolet and turns out to be a 1954 Corvette....

[email protected]

24. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

Those are extremely rare. Especially if its a ram air IV. Value book I have only lists the hardtop and that is near the hundred grand mark.

[email protected]

25. Sirweesarunch

Sirweesarunch

It wAS 1977 in Greenwich Conn. I was 13 years old and my Pop did masonry work on the estate of a wealthy entertainment tycoon/manager .. He managed black groups of the 70's like stylistics and james brown .. Anyhow the guy had a pretty extensive car collection and when i went to work with my pop he used to say "son go in there and check out any of the cars if you like , sit in them .. MAn i had hours sitting in those cars LIke 23 mack truck , gull wing mecedes , 70's lamborghini , 3 headlight Tucker , Lafrance fire engine 1/2 track military vehicle ... There were many more probably 20 or 25 in total ... The tucker probably being the most valuable now..

26. UA_HoBo

UA_HoBo
    from Oswego NY

VIPER with 300 miles on it and a friends lotus

27. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

The tucker....mention 3 headlites...I think the one headlite actually moved in the direction you would steer the car? I'd say of the list that would be near the top of the $$$ train.

Great thrill for a kid back then...

[email protected]

28. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

Speaking of Tuckers....

I have a 1958 Motor Trend April issue...back then they had a sell 'n swap section in the back of the issue. Pictured in one of the ads is a Tucker. The ad claims it is the personal Tucker of Forest Tucker serial number 29 with 18,718 miles on it. Engine rebuilt good condition. The price? The best offer over $3,000 buys it.

Without a doubt of the 48 plus Tuckers built if above is true that one is worth the big money.

[email protected]

29. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

i drove a 14 million dollar tugboat from ny harbor to mariners harbor SI once and we were made up to a 20 thousand dollar water barge. i think i beet everyone except tugmaster if he posted on here.

30. Undercover Customs

Undercover Customs

I was told that 4 of the 8 were manual trans and 4 were autos. His was an auto. All the converts were painted white with blue stripes. The hardtops could be ordered the same or blue w/white stripes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.