Register now to get rid of these ads!

Does Anyone Know How To Filter or By-Pass Crank Case Smoke? Flathead V8 53 Ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FordMan53, Jan 2, 2010.

1. FordMan53

FordMan53
    from So Cal

The lower tube that comes from (I assume) the crank case, not the filler tube. Is there a filter system or some sort of bypass made so I don't have to see the smoke or smell like it after I drive the car?
    Thanks. 1953 Ford Customline, original flathead V8.

2. jetmek

jetmek

its normal to see a little fumes from the road draft tube and filler cap but if its smoking alot sounds like your due for a rebuild....you could try shoving rags in it but thats probably not the best idea...ha ha

3. R Pope

R Pope

It comes from the intake manifold, and snakes down the driver's side of the engine. You could cut it off short and rig up a hose to take the fumes into the air cleaner. Burn 'em up!

4. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sounds like the rings are worn, and pumping pressure into the crankcase and out the tube. I believe the only real fix is to rebuild the engine...at least a hone-job and new rings. Best to do it all though while you're at it. You could consider connecting the tube to the intake manifold with a rubber hose, and include a pcv valve, but that's just a bandaid fix.

5. dieselc

dieselc
    from ohio

Your going to smell like it either way, damn that tube thing thats not the filler tube.

6. Flatman

Flatman

I've seen guys mount a PCV valve in a frost plug, place it where the road draft tube mounts to the intake and run it back in under the carb. Neat and simple to do.

Flatman

7. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

I took off my vent tube and ran a rubber hose to a PCV valve and into the intake on my truck. Now can't remember why I even decided to do that or if it was even a good idea. But it seems to work fine for me. Might have been because of the smell too or just thought it would be an 'improvement', I don't recall. I am not even sure what kind of PCV valve I used. I think I just went to Kragen and just got one I thought looked the best and used that.

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An oil-filler tube and a draft-tube are both connected to the crankcase...just from different locations.

9. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Put a piece of tubing on it and run it so it exits behind the passenger area. If you block it those fumes will come out the filler tube, so you will smell it more. But excess fumes and vapor are signs of compression loss bypassing the rings and over pressuring the crankcase,so as noted an overhaul is in your future.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have put a PCV valve in a freeze plug on a few 216-235-261 Chevys, in place of the road draft tube, with a filtered fill cap. Seemed to work pretty well.

11. holeshot

holeshot
    BANNED
    from Waxahachie

FISH...sure run it inside the car! HA! naa i got nothing...pop.

12. troylee

troylee

I kinda like the smell after a fresh oil change. another vote for a PVC.

13. Tank

Tank

Pull the engine out, disassemble it, take it to a reputable machine shop, have it bored, new pistons, rings bearings, more then likely valves and guides also. Put it back together and back into your car. Wammo, no more blowby oil smoke. Or just put up with it, It is a flathead.

14. DROPANDCHOPKUSTOMS

DROPANDCHOPKUSTOMS
    from K.C.MO

15. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

I love the smell of a flathead V-8 in the morning.

16. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

Agreed. Before I rebuilt my flatty I had the same issue under power, even with a pcv valve in the road draft tube, it just came out the breather instead. Still ran fine and only smoked under hard acceleration. Try extending it like he says until you do a rebuild. If your problem is more minor a pvc valve should work.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2017
  17. Years ago my brother and I went to the local Pontiac dealer and bought a California smog set up for a '63 4 cylinder Tempest he owned. It smoked bad, I mean REAL bad. The blow-by was insane. This had one of those half a V8 engines in it and had covered many road mile and not a lot of service or simple oil changes. The California smog system was a simple PCV setup. We installed it in a an hour or two, gave it a fresh oil change including the requisite 2 bottles of Motor Medic and VOILA. No more blow-by. Not a trace of smoke. It even amazed me.

18. 51 MERC-CT

51 MERC-CT

Finally got fed up seeing the smoke wafting up thru the hood louvers while at stop lights and installed a PCV system. No more smoke, no more smell.:)

19. dan c

dan c
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

gonna be a name-dropper here. matt werksman, a second-gen flathead guy, has said to keep the road-draft tube.

20. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Just because a flatty has some blow-by, doesn't mean you HAVE to rebuild it now.Every engine has SOME leakage past the rings. If the oil consumption is with in reason, and it's not fouling plugs or knocking, just do the PVC valve. The PCV system works and it's easy and cheap compared to a complete rebuild.

BTW, the oil fill cap is the fresh air intake for crank case ventilation, whether you have a road draft tube or a PCV system. Until you floor it, and get more blow-by than the PCV can handle. Then the gasses blows out the filler cap too.

21. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

It's been 7 years since this was first posted, maybe he got it figured out by now?

X38 likes this.
  22. 32owner

32owner

I run a pcv in my flathead from the road tube hole to a vacuum port between a Edmund 2x2 intake now it is fouling plugs and smokes out the filler tube when at a red light, are the edmund intake split to where it is only going on half the plugs IMG_20170929_162819396.jpg