Register now to get rid of these ads!

Next project - 38 fiat topolino

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by maddog, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zoomer

Zoomer
    BANNED

I also build new steering bars with new ball joints (still have to machine lock nuts for the ball joint threads). I used the same .093 wall tubing and machined, threaded, and welded in the same end plugs as I used on the pan hard rod ends.

The pics show a view across the front end with the axle, pan hard rod, steering bars, and frame, as well as the pass side steering bars, and drives side steering ball joint.

Attached Files:

2. Zoomer

Zoomer
    BANNED

to get the steering linkage correct I had to go with 2 double u-joints.... 10 pounds of parts in a 1.7# bag you have to adapt.

this is the 3rd configuration, the first one gave me an idea of how it had to bend, the second was working so perfectly and then I decided to set the brake booster in place (I already knew the header would clear). With the brake lever in place I could then see the most efficient way to build the support down tube, hence the third go round

I drilled large holes and inset the rod ends second nut (currently tacked in place) the only part not shown (because its not installed) is the rod end that supports the steering bar that rides along the frame rail, I have to install it when the engine is out.

the second pic is a down view of the bottom double u joint and the steering bar that will get another rod end supporting it, although it works so smooth as it is.

the third pic is from the drivers seat with the wheel removed.

the 4th pic from the pass seat looking across at the steering column.

I'll get some pics up soon of the alternator bracket and the rear pan hard rod.

Decided to fab the fuel cell from steel, not sure why I was even thinking about aluminum? having the pieces bent hopefully next week so I can get to welding it together. Still have to fab the fuel pump mounts and a battery mount. Decided that although the drive shaft loops are really beefy I wanted to build some u-joint cover bracelets as well. I'll get some pics up of those in a few days. Happy Holidays everyone.

Attached Files:

3. Zoomer

Zoomer
    BANNED

as with most things, if "they" don't make it, make it yourself.

here's a few pics of the fuel cell. I couldn't even find someone in town with a sheet metal break so I did it old school... I put a 1"x2"x36" piece of tubing on the bench, laid the 14 gauge steel to the mark, laid another piece of tubing on top to the mark, clamped it all together, added a bit of heat, throw in a big hammer, presto.... 45 and 90 degree bends.... the clamping kept the metal from warping and gave a nice bend. the hammering can stretch the metal some, so if reverse hammering isn't in your resume you might not want to bend steel this way.

I have a 1/8 pilot hole in the top so I could weld all the seams complete. still have to decide if I am going to put a gas door lid or a recess or ? once I decide then I will cut my top hole for my inlet neck plate which will also have my venting tubes, fuel level gauge etc. I'll be running the venting tubes over to a carbon canister on the frame so there won't be any odor.

Have to design my mounting tabs so its rubber supported as well as welding in a threaded bung for my outlet line. I found a company in the midwest that makes the fuel cell sponge material and sells it in large blocks.... I'm going to weld an expanded sheet metal cage at the bottom around the outlet bung as well as below the inlet neck, both to allow unrestricted flow in and out, sort of a pooling area with out sponge. I'm also going to have a flip over flap in the inlet tube and an inline shut off valve for safety and security.

Attached Files:

4. powdercoater46

powdercoater46

Great score!!! Is that an 8" ford in the back of that spiffy chassis?

5. Zoomer

Zoomer
    BANNED

not sure I understand the "great score" comment? however, its a 9" that I had reworked at Curry, narrowed, new 31 spline axles, 4.11:1 gears, big bearings. If you go the middle of page 5 that is where the project was when I bought it.

6. nutajunka

nutajunka

LOL that's funny!

7. nutajunka

nutajunka

Zoomer: Someone would think that your car being so small would be a breeze to fab up/not. It seems the smaller you go the more your brain has to sweat. This whole build thread has me thinking twice about building one.

8. Zoomer

Zoomer
    BANNED

my brain only hurts.... everyday : ) there is a lot of truth to what your saying. you really have to plan things out... I have the radiator in the back and while I haven't posted the pics yet, the radiator tubing runs thru the frame down the pass side... the drivers side has the brake booster /master under the floor along the trans, and behind that is the trans cooler/fan, behind that is the battery box, above that is the fuel cell.... still need to locate the electric fuel pump spot..... mostly its a case of "1 part affects 5 other parts" which can make moving forward slow....

the middle of page 5 is where I bought the project...

9. Zoomer

Zoomer
    BANNED

here's the alternator bracket finally sort of done. had to change a few mounting points to move it away from the suspension hoop. its hard to make out how its built but ....the two blurry bolt heads are what bolt the main structure to the block, the lower nut right in front is on a shaft I machined that shoulders the alternator, goes thru the main structure, and then bolts into the block (had to machine flats on it between the block and where the alternator sits so I could tighten it into the block before tightening on the alternator. Finally the tightening arm is bolted to that structure up higher.

Why mount the alternator backwards and out in front? its a very small and THIN body, and there is no room to mount in the conventional location... unless I wanted to have an alternator hanging thru the side panel...

as for the side shot.... I just think it looks cool, sort of funny car-ish, and no... that's not the driveshaft for the car (for all of you that really LOOK at the pics) really need to get the smaller steering wheel in there soon.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  10. Zoomer

Zoomer
    BANNED

In memory of my good friend Erik Gates who lost his life in a freak accident
    Dec 20th 2009 a true rebel that will be remembered forever.

11. Zoomer

Zoomer
    BANNED

I was going over the blog and thought I had posted these pics long ago but.... duh...

Its the last customer car we built a few years ago... 1959 El Camino that we call El Cavette since we bought a rolled 1997 Vette and used the engine, trans, rearend, rear suspension, front suspension, all the brakes including the ABS and fabbed it to the original X frame... (yeah we had to remove certain areas of the stock frame and built new pieces) somewhere I have a lot more pics that show the bed internals that I built from scratch, the pearl ghost flames, the wicked leather interior etc. I'll get them up here when I can.

Attached Files:

12. Zoomer

Zoomer
    BANNED

ok, here's a few bed shots

Attached Files:

13. Zoomer

Zoomer
    BANNED

and here's a few ghost flames

Attached Files:

14. Zoomer

Zoomer
    BANNED

and here's a few of the interior...

the steering wheel is my one off design, sort of vintage look with a super fat hoop... the buttons on the interior are all solid silver... the customer did the leather work as that's his biz, super high end leather clothing and jewelry... check the stock window cranks... they are actually power windows that use the stock cranks... the handles only move 1" up and 1" down....

actually found about 150 pics on my other computer.... the entire photoshoot actually...

Attached Files:

15. Zoomer

Zoomer
    BANNED

baffles..... I finally put the baffles in the ends of the pipes, sanded the pipes, and finished the support braces for the drivers side.

Those baffles are an f ing nightmare to get in.... I built my pipes with a slightly thicker wall than what they are made for and since they are not welded from the manufacturer true and straight I couldn't machine them down a bit... sooooo I had to..... if anyone is planning on installing a set of these baffles in the future let me know and I'll give you all the little tricks I had to figure out to make a "simple" install.

Here's a few pics of the pipes..... mounted fyi the engine is offset 1" to the passenger side, and, the drivers side bank of cylinders is 3 1/2 " farther forward than the pasenger side cylinders. The end of the pipes are in the exact same place on both sides. (in these pics the pipes look out of alignment, I assure you they are NOT)

Attached Files:

16. Zoomer

Zoomer
    BANNED

they call it a topolino

Attached Files:

17. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Nice looking steering column mount.

18. Zoomer

Zoomer
    BANNED

thanks, close up pics at post #209 nice injectors btw.....

19. Zoomer

Zoomer
    BANNED

Radiator pipes... here you go

1st pic shows all the pipes for the system laid out
    2nd pic shows the lower tube running from the electric water pump back to the radiator (engine hot water), also shows the tube running from the radiator to the manifold along the frame (radiator cool water) you'll also notice the large hole in the front of the manifold... I put that there and am machining a fitting that will be welded in the hole and 90 degree turn and tip down a few degrees to hose connect to the radiator cool tube. The stock water inlet will be used for a radiator cap component.
    3rd pic shows radiator cool line running above and along frame rail and its rubber mounted mount that comes off the motor mount. The engine hot tube is below and behind it.
    4th pic shows the rubber mount system

and yes... things are almost as close as they look in the pics... almost

Attached Files:

20. Zoomer

Zoomer
    BANNED

more radiator pipes

still have to finish cleaning some welds up as well as rounding mount tab corners

1st pic shows where the two pipes share the same mount off the frame at the firewall, they drop down behind the firewall as the firewall drops at an angle and becomes the floor. the forward lengths of both these pipes will be heat wrapped since they travel between the engine and the header.
    2nd pic shows pipes dropping down at about a 45 degree and then separating to travel thru the frame / trans x member
    3rd pic shows the pipes running back to the rear x support and thru, also check out the large cover plate I welded up to cover the front u joint.... still waiting for new driveshaft to get in... hoping to pull car apart next week and finally weld everything complete. the center section of the trans member is now removable and the two side pods are welded to the frame and have tabs extending out that bolts run thru and thru the trans mount center section, the drive shaft loop support tubes (with the Z action) are going to be replaced with roll cage tubing bent to mimick the radiator pipes.
    4th pic shows the radiator pipes going thru the rear frame cross section up and over the rear end and then up to the hot inlet and down to the cool outlet

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 7, 2010
  21. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Ha I wish the car in the avatar was mine but it was a photo on here somewhere and myself and at least one other member "borrowed" it.

22. Zoomer

Zoomer
    BANNED

and still more radiator pipes

1st pic shows a side view of the pipes going over the rear end.. the rear drive shaft loop will also have a u joint cover plate like the front one... (just to close to meat for my mental comfort)
    2nd pic shows the radiator inlet with hose
    3rd pic shows what happens when stuffing 10 pounds of mechanics into a 2 pound tool box... ( I knew when I made the fuel cell that I was going to have to relieve an area for the return pipe)
    4th pic is a side view of the relief
    5th pic is the radiator pipes from the back to the front... and yes the outer pipe was centered in the trans x member hole after this pic was taken.....

Attached Files:

23. Zoomer

Zoomer
    BANNED

had to throw these last two in the mix

1st pic shows the lower pipe running along the engine pan (early pic so the tubes are now centered in the frame thru holes)
    2nd pic is looking from the firewall forward..... another "way too much stuff in a small package" scenario

Attached Files:

24. Zoomer

Zoomer
    BANNED

finished the fuel cell mounts and fabbed in the fuel inlet plate... started working on the interior panels thursday... trans hump, driveshaft hump, behind seats panel, firewall, floor boards... hoping to have it all dialed in by monday night. will post pics then.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2010
  25. Zoomer

Zoomer
    BANNED

lets talk rain... and a small leak in the garage roof, and how that can change your work plans for the day. trans/driveshaft hump 90% completed. floor panels are 90% completed, going for the firewall tues and the rear panels on wed. not the monday night I was planning on but then again I also thought it would be under its own power in Sept. ahhhh wishful thinking aka planning the building of a hot rod WITHOUT the outside world bothering you. if I can get the interior panels wrapped by wed or thurs early I will probably strip the car to the frame and weld everything up ie: roll cage, fish plates, motor mounts, trans mounts, driveshaft loops mount, steering supports and anything else that stands still long enough and is close enough to weld.

26. Zoomer

Zoomer
    BANNED

wow, not one single comment on the el camino... not one comment on the steering column linkage... not one comment on the radiator plumbing...not one comment on the baffled headers... not one comment on the alternator bracket... not one comment on the pan hard rod parts or the steering bars... not one comment on the fuel cell.. ********

Update; (I had several requests privately to continue the blog so I edited this posting)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2010
  27. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

With the speed of posts getting kicked off the front page within minutes now, don't be discouraged you got no responses.

28. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

Hey I'm still watching your progress. Like the stuff but not qualified to comment. Like Fraz said it's hard to keep up with all the new posts here. Please keep up the progress reporting.

29. maddog

maddog
    from So Cal

done
    ?

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  30. jfrolka

jfrolka

love this little project... keep it goin

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.