Register now to get rid of these ads!

Early hurst history - trivia

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dennis kirban, Dec 13, 2009.

1. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth

Again from my private Hurst collection. What you are viewing is the actual finished Hurst Olds emblem and what I am told years ago was a prototype stamping. If you look real close you can see that the OLDS word was half out and half in the circle.

To a Hurst Olds owner this prototype would be quite valuable. The Olds was from what I am told was George's favorite car probably explains why the Hurst Olds came about. Even though in dollars and cents more money was made over at Pontiac with shifters. I am 99% certain GM cranked out far more GTOs than 442 Oldsmobiles. In 1966 alone I know production of the GTO reached 80,000 units. The first year GTO was around 32,000 units.

Going by memory they had about a dozen plants back then making the GTO....times have sure changed since then.

I was good friends for years with a engineer at Hurst named Don Lane....who worked on the original Hurst Olds project. As you can imagine with any project it was rushed.

He told me the original game plan was to make the rear spoiler move and tilt probably similar to what you find say on a Porsche Boxster today.
    Never happened on the Hurst Olds.

I have other rare Hurst Olds items including car keys to some of the actual Pace Cars. But this is probably the rarest item. Ironically, I have never personally owned a Hurst Olds but have had a few 442 models over the years.

Course at the plant in Warminster you could see a line of them as all the executives used them whenever production was in that calendar year.

I even towed a few as I had the contract in the 1970s and 1980s for the local Olds dealership.

I bought this stamping many years ago. Again like anything I write I am going by memory and what I was told at the time I purchased many of my items.

Comments additions etc always welcome. This thread seems to attract a wide interest.

Again thanks to my good friend MR AMC for posting this for me.

[email protected]

[​IMG]

2. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

We will be posting some more super rare Hurst related items soon some of which I know you have probably never ever seen including some with a connection to World War II.

Also, on a side note.....I am looking for 2-3 major mail order companies that are vendors on this forum that I can contact about and item we are having produced. This item will have a very wide appeal and be a limited production.

You can either send me a private message or post the 2-3 major players that are vendors here in my thread. I am about 3 weeks away from having this item.

thanks

[email protected]

3. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Cool sign! I've never seen one like it. Looks small. How big is it? What's the back look like? Metal or all plastic? Any idea what year it was made?

4. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

It measures just 9 inches square all plastic self standing....single lite bulb. Says Made in Italy on the back...my thinking is it could be a prototype of a sign they were considering? I never seen another one like it. Its in perfect condition and came from my one source that was the art director at Hurst for 20 plus years.

More unique stuff to come that probably has never been seen before.

Appreciate all the interest.

[email protected]

still need 2-3 names of major recognize vendors on this forum to contact.

5. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

And here I thought hurst just made a shifter and a T-Handle, never knew there were so many, I have a few Hurst patches I picked up at the autoramma back in the early 80's. Thanks for all this Info and Pic's keep the pic's coming, Oh my brother has a 69 Judge with a T-handle with the black felt on it, Not much of it left after I use to peel it off while waiting for him to put gas in the car, I was a little Brat what can I say.. LOL :rolleyes:

6. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

Actually in the 1969 GTO Judge from the factory they came with a T handle the metal version not the felt type. Years ago we were the very first company to reproduce the tail pipe extensions that were an option on the 1969 GTO....we still produce the clutch rod and twin clutch springs if your brother has ever replaced them as we are the source that supplies all the GTO companies.

Your brother has a high dollar car especially if equipped with the ram air IV engine....big bucks...

Hurst made a huge array of products including a bunch that never made it past the prototype stages....at least 50 different shifter knobs....in various forms.

More photos coming...

Appreciate all the nice words.

[email protected]

7. lawbreaker2

lawbreaker2
    from ohio

It's just a R/A 3 4sp car and it's sitting in the barn now, been there for the last I don't know 25 years now maybe, and maybe somebody put that "T" on the shifter back when it was newer, he is the second owner.

8. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth

HAPPY NEW YEAR VIEWERS OF THIS THREAD!

What you are seeing here is what I think is the most unusual Hurst knob in my collection and probably one of the rarest.

Could be a prototype or a production knob. I have no idea. If I had to guess early 1960s time frame. It measures 1 1/2 diameter. What may be hard to detect is the H is embossed or raised and the gold lettering of Hurst is imprinted in the center of the embossed H.

It has no pattern so it was probably used or planned to go on a dual gate perhaps the first style dual gate.

I have just over 50 different Hurst knobs in my collection. Do others exist? Probably.

More to come.

enjoy

[email protected]

feed back always welcomed.

[​IMG]

9. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth

Here is a photo of another rare Hurst knob from my personal collection. Again its one seldom seen may have been a sample or a low production knob., With no pattern could have been for a automatic.

It is all wood with the H carved in the top. Same size as my previous black knob pictured. This would probably also be early 1960s vintage.
    Don't worry I won;t bore readers picturing all 50 plus knobs just some that you may have never seen before.

[email protected]

[​IMG]

10. I bought this 1960 Kombi in Broomall, PA about 1990. As you can see, it had both the front and rear Hurst "protectors". I wish the rears had been in better condition, but I pulled everything off when the bus was restored/repainted.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  11. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

old shifter display

Attached Files:

12. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

That is one bit of early Hurst items that has eluded me all these years. No idea how many Hurst made or how many years before issues with VW developed....

When I first started in the mail order business I had a 1967 VW bus I parked on my driveway and I used to put all the UPS packages in it for the UPS pick up.....when I outgrew the VW bus I added a Divco milk truck.

Few years later in one of the photos I took showed the Divco milk truck in the background and someone saw the photo and wanted to buy it and put a V8 in it. So I sold it....the VW bus I sold on ebay prior to moving to a guy in Texas that was going to put it on the roof of his car wash business.

Regret selling both of them as time has shown both are quite valuable today...

[email protected]

VW bus one I had was the last year for split windshield....1967?

13. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

Very rare I got a good friend that has one or most of one...he wrote the Hurt shifter book and has bought a lot of Hurst items from me over the years.

Only way really to show potential customers the difference in the way Hurst shifters function over stock sloppy set ups...

[email protected]

A very valuable display today.....

14. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

Still seeking the company names of at least 2-3 mail order companies that are registered vendors on this forum that readers recommend. I want to discuss this new project with them first.

[email protected]

15. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth

Pictured here is another early Hurst knob. This is a prototype that never saw production due to the design and material.

When the sunlight hits this knob depending on the position of the shifter in the car it sent a beam of light concentrated that can cause a fire such as zeroing in on the seat material or the door panel material.

When you were a kid you may have used a magnifying glass to burn holes....this crystal looking knob did the same thing.

I have no proof of this only what I was told years ago. I did get it from someone at Hurst. Hd it been made today and put in the marketplace their would be a major recall!!!

If my information is correct, this is one rare knob.

[email protected]

World War II related Hurst info coming next. There is a connection....

[​IMG]

16. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth

Pictured here is a photo of Hursts last location in Warminster when they moved everything under one roof. This plant opened in 1965. In looking at the logo on the building since it reads Hurst and no longer Hurst-Campbell this photo probably is from early to mid 1970s. (I can't make out the cars to know for sure).

At one time their was a very tall flag pole in the front lawn area. They had to remove it because one of the military planes as it was landing clipped it. (It was in the direct flight path). What is not visible is across the street at the corner was the Johnsville Airbase. We actually did two major car shows at this base back in 1990-1991.

The chief of police at the time was a personal friend of mine. The current Hurst building is now at least twice as large as you see here.
    At one time there was talk of erecting some sort of metal marker by the street indicating this was the Hurst location.

This area is rich in history as George Washington slept around quite a bit without Martha and their are signs to that affect at various locations as there are references to certain battles both Revelutionary and Civil War.

Unfortunately, no sign has yet to be erected and the chances are probably slim that it will happen. As you can see this was a huge building and a major milestone for Hurst. In the early 1970s we lived only about 5 minutes away from this plant.

enjoy

[email protected]

[​IMG]

17. Very cool and I can relate. Hell I'm still trying to figure out how to use my toaster.. Never had any desire to own a computer and couldn't even turn one on to save my life until a few years ago. Had a Nascar Pro-Stock racecar and was looking for sponsors. Local computer store says he'll sponsor us but can't do cash. He offers to give us a brand new laptop to take to the track to record chassis setups, tire temps, etc. So with the thought that "free is for me" and thinking it might be a cool thing to have I agreed. That was 12 or so years ago and it opened up a whole new world to this old countryboy. Don't know how I ever got by without one now. Keep the cool Hurst stuff coming.

18. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

About electronics....In both my home office and my work office I have an IBM electric typewriter that I still use. In high school n the 1960s they were just switching over to electric typewriters...

One I use it home is a model "C" IBM from around 1964. It is in mint condition. Nothing is worn looking. When I first bought it I had to have it repaired. The place calls me up and says it will run almost $200 to fix it and they wanted the money up front so as not to get stuck with this "antique".....I paid up front heck I gotta send away for the typewriter ribbons.

I bought the typewriter, from a guy who owned a machine shop that made a few Hurst items way way back...he sold his building and was retiring. This was probably 8-10 years ago. I had sold him a Grand National year ago.

Appreciate the compliments...

[email protected]

19. Yes Dennis, 1967 was the last flat/split windshield bus.

20. theamcguy

theamcguy

kirban 2 cents worth

I have this original artwork of this potential ad from Hurst. By potential, I am not 100% sure it ever used in an written ad. I never saw it. You can see a few items that may have been in the protoype stages. At the far rite in the photo can says RTF for racing transmission fluid.

Again I do not think that ever saw production. The white knob with the red and black H logo. The format appears to be from the late 1970s or early 1980s as Hurst looked to increase its market share. The shifter Doctor Grease can also be seen as well.

Very eye catching ad and features several Hurst products. As usual comments etc always welcomed.

Should have the World War II related Hurst background up Monday as I have to locate parts of it.

[email protected]

[​IMG]

21. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Here are pictures of my display. I've had a few of them over the last 4 or 5 years. There are 3 different versions of the Syncro Loc 3 speed display like this one, and a couple of versions of a 4 speed display.

Attached Files:

22. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

Interesting....I have never seen one for sale. Any dat eon them? They appear to be around 1962-64 vintage....

[email protected]

23. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

No dates on any of them but I would agree that 62-64 is probably correct.

I just got really lucky. I got 2 from a local guy that used to own a small chain of parts stores. I think he may have another one but you have to catch him in the right mood most of the time he doesn't want to fool with the stuff. Bought 2 others from another owner of a big speed shop.

I also bought one from Pete maybe the one you were refering to. It was complete and nice but the sign was a little rough (had a corner broken off). I lucked up on an extra sign, which made it into a pretty nice display.

24. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

you are correct pete serio out of columbus ohio knowledge of hurst shifters unsurpassed....great guy long time personal friend.

I'd be a player for one.

[email protected]

25. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Here's a few other hurst posters that I have these are all NOS. The first three pictures make up the banner shown in the 4th picture.

Attached Files:

26. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

kirban 2 cents worth

I member them...my deep connection at Hurst was the art director there for 20 plus years....pete actually was at his house several times also...he designed every decal promotion item from like 1963 to early 1980s....

In some rare cases at least on the original artwork I have and have shown in this thread his full name or just last name appears Bob Held.

Unfortunately he passed away 3-4 years back around Thanksgiving....I was able to get an obituary written up in several car magazines including Auto Week. Decals are probably his best known work that show up in this thread and other threads in this forum.

Hurst was a PR machine for sure....

You live in Tennessee not sure how close you are to Bowling Green...but the GS Nationals (Buicks) come there in mid May....we have Don Garlits coming as our guest. I know Don is not planning on travelling much this year.

[email protected]

Probably first Buick event he has ever attended....

27. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

Couple of more items, early syncro loc in the box. I'm guessing this one very early 60's maybe even late 50's? Love the two cats logo.

Two NOS reverse loc outs the one in the box is kind of unusual. I had about 15 NOS loc outs not long ago.

Attached Files:

28. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

I'm just a couple of hours from Bowling Green. I'll try to remember that, maybe I can make it to the event depending on when in May it takes place.

You're right about Hurst being a PR machine they have some of the coolest advertising of any of the parts companies.

I'm looking forward to some more pictures of your stuff!!

29. dennis kirban

dennis kirban

That shifter and logo design is very early any dates on that? I cal lthose knobs the yoyo style never compared the 2 halves to a yoyo but size wise they gotta be pretty close. By 1962-63 the ball had come about...

You got some old stuff. The GS nats is like the week of May 12th....we got Don coming in Thursday & friday of that week.

Happens at Beach Bend track...

[email protected]

I just emailed theamcguy more stuff....to post. years ago I sold like 7-8 brand new stand up Linda Vaughns on ebay still in the original boxes at $700 to $800 each....did them under my name so people knew it was the real deal. They are very hard to find as the sunlight faded them quickly.

30. Sealed Power

Sealed Power
    from TN

I would love to have one of those!! I've looked everywhere, never had a chance to buy one in any condition!!

Keep hoping I'll run up on one, would love to have one of the Christmas trees as well.