Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to make a hybrid open drive banjo axle?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Just Jones, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Just Jones

Just Jones

Once or twice I've seen this mentioned, so I know it can be done, but I'm not sure what is involved (I've included a picture). Anyone out there done this before? What is involved, technically?

My situation: '29 Model A roadster pickup running an 8BA, a three speed column shift trans with electric overdrive, and a truck open drive banjo. However, as the open drive rear axles are set up for parallel leaf springs, I want to use the open drive center with axle bells, axles, bones, backing plates, etc from a '40 axle so that I can have a parallel rear leaf set up, using stock ford mounts for both the wishbones and the spring. Make sense?

Thanks in advance for all information. - Speedy

Attached Files:

2. oldrelics

oldrelics
    from Calgary

By what you just described, I think you know exactly already what to do! ?
    What was the question?

BTW-the 40 axle tubes have spring mounts for a transverse setup(like your pic) but you said you want to run parallel? Confusion sets in.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  3. Well, the first question is do you want to run your Model A spring over the axle or behind the axle?

If the answer is "over" then use spring mounts that weld on the top of the axle housing. Discussed in the book "How to Build a Traditional Ford Hot Rod" by Mike Bishop and Vern Tardel (the Bible).

If the answer is "behind" use weld on spring hangers like the ones made by Pete & Jakes.

Please note that a Model A rear spring is to wide to use with stock 37-48 spring hangers. If you decide to go this way you will need to have your spring narrowed or buy a spring from Posies made for this purpose.

Stock Ford rear radius rods (wishbones) are not very strong. If you decide to use them you will need third torque control rod as shown in the photo you posted.

4. Paul

Paul
    Editor

nuthin to it,
    I used '36 bells and axles with the truck center and gears

as posted here: open banjo

5. Just Jones

Just Jones

Thanks for the input, guys, and sorry for being less than accurate in describing what I was wanting to achieve:

I meant to say that I want to use a transverse spring INSTEAD of parallel springs, like the open diff had provisions for. Additionally, as in the picture, I want to mount them behind the banjo, '40 style, using ford factory stuff - again, as in the picture.

My question - more directly - was this: Will it all bolt together, or are truck open drive diffs different/incompatible with close drive/'40 axles, axle bells, etc? I had thought there were differences. - Speedy

6. Just Jones

Just Jones

Paul, thanks for the link. So it all just bolts together? That's it? No kidding?

7. Don't forget - the original model A spring location is on top of the axle (center line). The 35-48 springs are 7.5" behind center line. Unless you stretch the frame your axle center line will move forward 7.5".

And again, a stock Model A spring is not going to work right with the later housings. This is because the perches are to narrow and the spring is not properly pre-loaded (stretched).

8. That is my picture you posted. That is a '39 rear converted to open drive with a '27 T spring and crossmember.

9. Just Jones

Just Jones

Thanks for the info - hope you don't mind me using your picture to better illustrate what I was talking about. I would have given attribution to your project, but I couldn't remember where I had found it. Although now that I've looked at your thread again, I see that isn't a hybrid axle, but a '39 converted to open drive. If I didn't already have the two banjos, I'd probably go that direction too.

So more info on what I'm doing - I'll be stretching my frame a few inches in the back to use a '40 ford rear cross member and spring. All those kinds of issues I have worked out; how to mount the spring, frame mods, etc.

- Speedy

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
  10. I don't mind at all. I am happy to be referenced.