Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects It's as bad as it looks

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by 1/2done, Dec 19, 2009.

1. when complete will it have flames again?

2. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Very interesting story and comments. Will be interested to see how this one progresses. Keep us informed!

3. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Maybe.
    But they'll be enamel.

OahuEli likes this.
  4. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I'm going to have to go back over some spots once the whole roof is somewhat straight, I may do that on the second go around.

5. pugs

pugs
    from Hamburg Pa

that is simply amazing and with have less that a week into it your on the way to a very nice ride

6. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  7. mottsrods

mottsrods

I've had success with annealling fire damaged metal before I work it. Then before I paint, I send it to a local guy to acid dip it. I've (knock on wood) never had paint peel from any of them either. Looks like you've got your hands dirty in it pretty good so far. Keep up the progress.

8. squigy

squigy
    from SO.FLO.

9. Nice progress ! The roof looks amazing !

CBB

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That pretty much ends the speculation about hardening. If the metal were hardened by the fire, there is pretty much no way that the results would look like this.

That is not nice work, it is AMAZING work!

11. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

Oh .... I'm in on this re-construction.

Nice work so far.
    Paco

12. skoh73

skoh73

Lookin' great! Keep it up.

13. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Thanks everyone.

I picked up a frame, complete front axle, front spring, 2 rear leaf springs for a conversion, extra front beam, brake pedal assembly w/modern cylinder adapter and m/c all for $200.

Here's the problem, the frame is a bit worse than I thought. It has a horribly hacked MII grafted on and the crossmember is trash.

So I'm thinking about using the frame as a pattern and making a new one from 2x4 tubing. I've never made an entire frame before so I'm wondering if anyone else has made a frame for a 40? I've seen pleny of A, T and 32 frames done at home but never a 36-40 so any advice or suggestions are welcome.

winr likes this.
  14. unforgiven

unforgiven
    from East Tn

man unbelievable work. lookin forward to more progress pics. great job :eek:

15. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

16. wetatt4u

wetatt4u

Damn nice work,
    I could only wish to do metal work like that.

Be proud of yourself.

17. uc4me

uc4me

x2 !!!!

18. Great work man...you are bringing this car back to life with every tap of your hammer...well worth saving.

Congratulations and enjoy the ride :cool:

19. Spity

Spity

That roof looked scary, but you made something of it! Good stuff man!

20. John_Kelly

John_Kelly

Wow! Nice job on the roof. If I may make a suggestion for future dents....? I would not have used a rubber mallet to bump the dents out. It makes for more work than is necessary, and you have plenty on your plate as it is. I would used a dolly with more compound curve than the roof to start bumping the dents out starting at the outer edges of each dent and working in. Then smooth with a hammer and dolly (matching the roof curves or slightly flatter), then pick up small low spots with hammer on dolly, or a just a ballpeen hammer (much easier). Quick tune up with the shrinking disc, then go back and pick up more low spots and repeat. Simple but time consuming. You can't go wrong with Wray's disc and a little patience. I show this method in my youtube videos below. My demonstration dent is very much like your roof was before you started. By the time you are done with this car, you will be an expert!

For surface rust, Muiratic acid is way too strong and dangerous. A mild phosphoric acid is preferable. Go to metalmeet.com and search for a post by Randy Ferguson on removing surface rust. Best post I've seen on the subject.

I would not worry about the properties of the metal at all, just a lot of work ahead of you. Unless the metal was quenched while red hot it should still be workable. Even if it had been quenched while red hot, you would most likely be able to save it if severe warpage wasn't the project killer. The shrinking disc is the closest thing to an annealing tool that you can get. Good luck!

One more note about using a dolly that is flatter than the roof contours for smoothing small discrepancies... this sometimes allows the metal to be smoothed more easily than with a perfectly matched dolly. Try it out and see how it works for you. I stumbled across the idea while making fender flares. It helps you to control the surface.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com

21. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Thanks John. The rubber mallet was used because there were sections 2" lower than they were supposed to be. I did use it too much however, I should have stopped short of knocking out individual dents.
    The post by Randy is great. I was going with muriatic because I have a 55gal drum of it, but I think I'm going to go with the naval jelly. Muriatic fumes in a closed area aren't a good idea and I don't want to wait till Spring.

22. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

I called around today and priced two 24' sticks of 2x5x.188 tubing. The best price was $4.40ft. Everyone had to order it except one supplier that had a 40' stick in stock, that would probably just barely be enough. I guess I'll order some and try to have it by the weekend.

23. "A" Tub

"A" Tub

1/2 Done,
    Boy its a small world. I run around with Graf and his old man that originally owned your coupe. My dad had 40 coupe that was a stalled project and we sold it last fall to another friend. You have the chassis under our car. We weren't too happy with the front end either and bought a new one that went with the car.

Good luck, that is a major porject.

24. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

[QUOTE="A" Tub;4762133]1/2 Done,
    Boy its a small world. I run around with Graf and his old man that originally owned your coupe. My dad had 40 coupe that was a stalled project and we sold it last fall to another friend. You have the chassis under our car. We weren't too happy with the front end either and bought a new one that went with the car.

Good luck, that is a major porject.[/QUOTE]
    Yeah, I've seen your old 40, it looks pretty nice. Duane has it right now building the suspension. I'm going to make some flexible shape patterns for the rear wheel wells from it and I have a buddy that has a perfect rear fender he said I could borrow to build a buck so I've got plenty to do.

25. 51fleetline

51fleetline

damn...u got skills bro!!

26. 1/2done

1/2done
    from Ohio

Haven't accomplished much in the last few days. I started working on the area below the rear window. It was hardened pretty well so I started by annealing it, then started on the left side. It's distorted worse than the roof was and in a shorter span so the metal is harder to move. I may end up making a new piece.

It's still a little wavy where I've worked. I'm hoping I can go back over it once I've somewhat smoothed it all the way across and get it straighter.

27. 41 Dave

41 Dave

1/2 done, Check out two posts from "zibo". The first is a '36 Ford Coupe and the other is a '40 Ford Coupe. Both not for the faint of heart. Both great reads/builds.

41 Dave

28. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

If you need a front frame clip I know where a couple are in a junkyard not too far from here and there is a 39 in Starks that might have those parts too and will look at it as I am going there saturday.

29. C'MON leave a little bit o dimples on the ol girl ..
    kinda like finding a little cellulite on a really beautiful woman that's dying to sex ya up .. get some- but squint when ya have to...

30. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Fat Bottom Girls make the Rockn world go round

bryanyeskie likes this.