Register now to get rid of these ads!

How do I keep it warm inside?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by wheelbarrowsgarage, Dec 30, 2009.

1. wheelbarrowsgarage

wheelbarrowsgarage
    BANNED
    from Missiry

Need some test driving on a truck I did alot of work for my brother on and then its ready for him to tear up. Problem is its gonna be in the teens for high temps next week and I am a sissy! Been lookin for a reasonably priced heater as much for me test drivin as for him when he gets the truck. Tired of messing with old junk only to have it not work or be a big waste of time. Only really found 3 heaters commercially available. Mojave, Summits knock off, and one from Vintage Air. The Summit unit is the cheapest @ 121 on sale but out of stock for now. The Mojave is the next in line but will run about 250 and I really don't wanna sink that much into it. The VA is even more expensive. Short of spending the time to build my own, restore something that may or may not work that well, whats readily available and is priced about like the Summit unit?

2. Rob Kozak

Rob Kozak

3. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Electric underwear or just piss your pants,Seriously wear layers ...

4. RexRod

RexRod

5. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Dress warm and throw an old Army blanket on the seat and drape it around you. And quit whining.

6. modelacitizen

modelacitizen

Can't you just install a cheap heater core in the dash and put a little electric fan next to it?

7. RayMiller

RayMiller

jackets and mexican blankets, theyre not only for seat covers anymore!

8. willymakeit

willymakeit

Do you know someone in the HVAC business ? They usally junk old funaces when they are changed out for better effic. Get a gas unit and change the orfice to the approiate fuel source [propane/ nat. gas]. Blower motors are 110. Run a good vent to the exterior. This is the simple version. Another idea.

9. Just start your underwear on fire........wait, nevermind, that doesn't work!!-MIKE:eek::D

10. man up cowboy!!

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So this is a new truck? WTF is it? Full of store-bought stuff or...? That said I'd insist that you rework a proper old heater. Old firewall heaters are among the easiest old car components to restore. Make sure the blower works and have at it. You'll hate anything else and you know it.

12. chevyshack

chevyshack

If the heater dosnt work then id say it aint ready to be driven. What happens when the windshield gets fogged up driving down the road?

13. temporary heater? a box/roll of heater hose inside the cab.. hooked to the engines .. coolant system will work fine make sure you have bled the air out of the system and .. remember the anti freeze mix 50/50

14. FIFTY2

FIFTY2

I used a new core for a 99 chevy truck ( had one in the back), put a fan out of an old computer behind it, and it throws out some heat! Not hard to do.

15. nutajunka

nutajunka

16. mj40's

mj40's

17. Dempsey

Dempsey
    from Murray, KY

I have one in my CJ7. No carpet, no drain plugs, leaky everything...still hot. I have 1 duct for defrost and 1 for heat and usually leave on medium and very comfortable. heats pretty quick too.

18. poolmike

poolmike

I have a Mojave in my Jeep. It has no wind. The heater core is hot, but what good is it without a decent blower.

19. RayMiller

RayMiller

I never said light your undies on fire!

20. The Mandrill

The Mandrill
    from Tulsa

I have a generic old school Chevrolet heater core I found in a buddy's garage, mounted it under the dash and put a cheap electric fan on it. It will run you out if you keep the fan on! 2 screws, one elec connector, and 2 clamps and it will be removed come spring and put on the shelf till next winter.