Register now to get rid of these ads!

V.I.N. location on a 34 chevy Sedan?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trukin55, Dec 29, 2009.

1. trukin55

trukin55

I just brought home a 34 2 dr sedan. I am looking for the v.i.n.#. I found the tag on the firewall "body by Fisher" with some numbers. Are one of those the V.I.N., or is it in another place?

2. The Shocker

The Shocker

I think old GM's used the serial # on the motor block as the offical vin # until the mid 50's.I have a title to a 50 truck somewhere and it has "Motor Change" stamped across it.Which to me would mean that the block # and the title # would no longer match .The "Fisher" tag on the firewall gives you the trim ,paint ,option codes ,etc.If im wrong someone will correct me ,but i think thats correct ...

3. blacksheep 1

blacksheep 1

33 chevrolets vin tag was screwed to the floor(wood) inside the pass door, I assume 34 was the same.

4. rainh8r

rainh8r

There is a 95+ percent chance it was titled with the engine number. The last stock 33 I saw was, as was the last 34 and every year up through 1954 in most states. the body serial was usually gone early on and most people never knew it existed due to the location. The states were used to using the engine number thanks to Ford and spread it to everything.

5. trukin55

trukin55

The floor is gone! That wont help.

6. blacksheep 1

blacksheep 1

That would pose a problem.

7. mj40's

mj40's

It usually is close to the seal plate on the passenger side. My 38 Chevy had its plate on the passenger cowl just under the hood side. Plate was screwed on with four screws and was a VIN plate. The body plate was on the firewall and only represented the body style by numbers.

8. ripp

ripp
    from Howell mi

My 34 is on the sill plate on pass side

9. screwball

screwball

I HAVE A 35 G.M. fire wall tag that has serial# engine# and body# all on the same tag but its a G.M. OF CANADA TAG.

10. Jims35

Jims35

:cool: I have owend two 35 standards and one 34 master, only two had the original numbers . It was fastened to the wood floor under passengers side of the seat. the first one I owned was in 1960 and the engine number and tag number were the same as it had the original engine in it . this was done on 35 standard and older chevys, no frame numbers were stamped those years. It makes it real easy in my state as there are no frame numbers for somebody to make a claim on . That information came from the state inspector in this state. I ask if we should look for a frame stamped number and he said " don't waste your time you won't find it" Other states may be different. I got a new number on the 35 standard I have now. The tag on the fire wall is not the V.I.N. number . Some states did use the engine numbers as I.D. and most were not updated when an engine was replaced as they may not have know they should . :)

11. shadetreerodder

shadetreerodder

I will say this again. GM did not issue vin's for vehicles until 1954 or 1955. Up to that point states either used the id number (serial number factory id) 0r the engine number to title the vehicles. In NC they used a combination of both numbers to title the vehicle.

12. Jims35

Jims35

You may be right for NC , but the 35 I had in 1960 had the same no. on the engine as the plate under the seat . It was all original and I bought it from the family that bought it new in 1935. It had the original Idaho title. So the plate under the seat must be the serial no. I know some states used the engine no.only . I guess we do it different out here.

13. trukin55

trukin55

Well, I went out to look and was all excited when I realized that there was one board left in the floor and it was on the passenger side. It was the outer board, No luck. I looked under the door at the sill plate, nothing. Searched all over the firewall again. Checked the cowl. No luck. This car came from Iowa, not sure how long it was there. It was a parts car for a frame up resto for a "Worlds Fair" car in Southern Iowa I am told. It seems like it may have varied from state to state.

14. RayMiller

RayMiller

I was told by the guy I got my 35 standard from that the vin was stamped on the passenger side sill plate. He has 2 34 masters and 2 31 sedan deliveries. But can't swear its true, my plate is gone.

15. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

Most early Chevy's lost these along time ago

Do a search for 1934 chevy data plate on egay and just stamp your own.

Gary

16. trukin55

trukin55

I just found a site that has the original owners manual scanned. "Closed body,stamped on plate on right front sill." Open body "stamped on plate on right front seat frame."
    http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/main.php?g2_itemId=17129

Correct me if I am wrong. That would be under the door, or "door sill", right?

17. 35Chevy.com

35Chevy.com
    from New Jersey

If the car still had seats and carpet the plate would be located on the passenger side floor under the carpet between the seat frame and the door sill. It would be held on with 4 nails.

Gary

18. Jims35

Jims35

Door sill is the wood sill that the body is attached to. stamped metal plate nailed to sill . no stamped frame numbers . I have owned three and removed the bodys from the last two , no numbers located . Idaho inspecter told me there would not be any and he was right. If they are on they would not be factory stamps. Makes it real easy here in Idaho to get a builders title.

19. trukin55

trukin55

That piece of wood is there, no plate!

20. Jims35

Jims35

If you were in idaho thats okay ,in illinois ,I don't know.

21. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

That's where it is on my 34 Master. Fortunately, the plate is still there and still readable.

22. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

They are on the right front floor. I am In CA. and just used the body number for the VIN. Mine is a 35 master.

23. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

I have a '38 Chevy pickup and 2 '39 Chevy coupes. All of them have a cowl tag with a number starting with one number, then two letters designating model, then the sequential serial number. If that doesn't qualify as a VIN I don't know what would.

24. Jims35

Jims35

I believe it was 36 they started putting them there, I had a 36 truck that had it on the fire wall. My 35 car was not there.

25. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

Originally Posted by shadetreerodder ......... I will say this again. GM did not issue vin's for vehicles until 1954 or 1955. Up to that point states either used the id number (serial number factory id) 0r the engine number to title the vehicles. In NC they used a combination of both numbers to title the vehicle. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My point being that there was a real VIN in 1938, before '54, it's not about the location.

26. 29moonshine

29moonshine

my 29 delivery had a round metal 1929 fla title with vin # nailed to the right front floor when i bought it 15 years ago. they let me the metal title when i registered it

27. Jims35

Jims35

I know what you mean by "real V.I.N. number" . V.I.N. , serial, engine or combination of any , or none. Can be eather way depending on the state. I know how it has been done here , thats all I'm saying. Other states I don't know . I thought the original question posted was location of no. I told what I know about the 34 and 35 chevy. You have a good day now.

28. Gunner4445

Gunner4445
    from Norco CA.

Hi All you hot roders, I have a 34/35 standard Chevy 3 window coupe and I'm unsure of the year. The tag on the cawl is stamped styal # 35-1207A, body # 0 1294, Trim # 46, Paint # 187. The tag on the floor has some numers on it but I can't tell what the numbers relate too. The first set of numbers is 6ECC1 and 3593 they are on the bottom of the Chevrolet tag. It's hard to see the word above the number 3593.I think mysalf it is a 35. Can someone verifie this for me.

Gunner4445

29. trukin55

trukin55

30. trukin55

trukin55

Would anybody be will to post a pic of their VIN plate that is on the floor of their 33 or 34 car. I just want to see what it looks like. If you feel the need to block out the number , thats fine.