Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects anyone mess with boats

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stu, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

wife wants a boat and I've got talked into something "classic" what am I getting myself into?

Attached Files:

2. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

big $'s and a lot of time (just like hot rods), but those old kick ass wooden ones sure are cool as hell

3. hrm2k

hrm2k
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

did boats for years..............no roll backs out there when they break.

4. The best day and the worst day are both the day you purchase it.

I have a 1978 Mastercraft Competition Ski boat. Sweet as hell, but take a lot of time to keep up. Cars are easier.

5. As far as affordable classics, I've always liked the Century's. I had a friend of the family that lived on Lake Washington and had a real clean late 60's Century Resorter, nice lines, composite wood/fiberglass hull which did not need as much upkeep as a true all wood classic.

Now that I live in Montana, those days are over... for now

6. 51 mercules

51 mercules

They're fun.Here's mine which came from Mississippi.PS it's for sale.LOL!

Attached Files:

7. alsancle

alsancle

8. Henry VIII

Henry VIII
    from Tulsa OK

A first class ski boat would be a Mastercraft or Malibu with the factory installed LT1 Corvette engine. Very dependable and pull like a John Deere.

Al

9. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

ebay pics 439.jpg I ve put together a few boats ,Just buy a fiberglass shell and buy another boat for motor and controls ,You really dont need guages in a boat ,Thats only if you use an outboard motor,Thats what I did for my first build 7 months and was done ,1200 total investment and alot of time.

10. Larry T

Larry T

Old saying around here-
    The two happiest days in a boat owners life are the day he buys it and the day he sells it.
    But I still wouldn't mind finding an old Stewart V-drive. (G)

11. I would have to agree, the lake is no place to break down.
    I found a 94 Ski Sanger and got it for next to nothin' the guy thought it was blown up, just had a bad impeller. (they are cheap right now)
    Next to hot rods I love my boat, its a blast, wake surfin or just hanging in a cove.

12. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

Here's mine:

DSC02651.jpg DSC02652.jpg

13. cb1

cb1
    from Wisconsin

I'm going to start as mine is a "mess"..

14. Jkustom

Jkustom
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I grew up working on old wood boats. Truth be told Im better with old boats than I am with old cars! My dad restored em for the first half of my life.

You can still find "classic" fiberglass stuff around for reletively cheap, we have a couple right now in fact.. They're still cool, but not nearly as cool and interesting as an old wood boat.. Get ready to spend some money!

And the comment about no ramp truck when you break down is very true, I've been broken down out there more than I'd like to remember, and you really learn a lot about yourself when you have to climb into a dingy to get to safety in the middle of a bad storm!! So whatever you do, spend the money to do it as safe as you can.

15. Hotrod1932

Hotrod1932
    from Oregon

19 foot, alumaweld Jet Sled. She"ll do 60 in 4 inches of water. Going through white water is a trip. It's like standing on your Hotrod. Just a hotrod on water.

16. allengator

allengator
    from Keller, TX

I LOVE those old boats... but it would be easier just to drive by the lake every week and throw your paycheck in the water....

17. jerry sezar

jerry sezar

Boats are great! Been a hobby of mine for years. I've had wood and glass boats over the years. I love the classic woodys as much as old hot rods. Still have several boats floating around my dock. Sold my 1962 42' Chriscraft Conquer two years ago and I miss it everytime I look out at the dock..........owned it for over twenty years. I was getting older and the time it takes to keep them in Bristol condition was getting physically more difficult and the last time I had it hauled I belive the cost was around $28,000.00 to replace chime boards. The kids didn't want to maintin it so I sold it to a younger person for $1.00 because I new he would have the tanicity and funds to maintain her. I still check on the boat and the new owner loves it and takes care of the boat well.......so........if the WIFE wants a woody.....give her one.

18. Jay71

Jay71

I work on boats for a living. The common phrase we have is they're a hole in the water that you just keep throwing money into. Those classic wooden boats are beautiful though. I'd look for one thats already restored. I have a 67 Glasspar that hasnt seen the water in over a year and I pay storage on it! Boats are very fun if you get alot of use out of them, but if they sit for long periods of time they're just not worth it. My .02

19. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

20. Top_Notch

Top_Notch
    from schaumburg

My F-I-L is into old boats. 1957 Chris Craft.

[​IMG]

21. Henry VIII

Henry VIII
    from Tulsa OK

You know what they say back in Arkansas- "If it floats, flies, or fu<&$, rent it don't buy it"

22. A BIG HOLE IN THE WATER THAT YOU POUR MONEY INTO! I am biased though. I work full time on a tugboat, I teach captains classes and also safe boating for the state. I would buy a boat about half a second before I bought myself a pony. But like I said I'm biased. Todd

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  23. ridin dirty

ridin dirty

I also am into Century boats and I always like how they looked but as they say its like throwing money down the drain. I had a 1973 Fiberglass Century 21 ft Raven with a inboard 440 chrysler 330hp with a 14/14 pitched prop. I never owned stocks in fuel companys but i should of.

24. 27T

27T

Here's mine, probably worked on more than it's in the water. It's also fun to haul somewhere far away and have it break/have problems after being the water a few minutes.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

25. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

yes i know,a boat is a pain in the ass but we looked at a house today which sits on a canal which has a bitchin boat dock, yes those wooden boats are cool but they made some fiberglass ones too-thanks for the info-that other boat thread has a bunch of neat stuff on it

Attached Files:

26. daliant

daliant

Boats = Bring Over Another Thousand Sucka! For most people the cost outweighs the enjoyment.

27. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

Here's what I will be starting with! My mystery 19' woody. Picked up a complete 270 Hemi and gear box for it last summer. Need to find someone who would like to restore her in trade for classic car work!

Attached Files:

28. humpie

humpie

29. My brother was for a few years pres of a Classic and Antique boat club. He had some nice ones . A boat is a hole in the water youthrow money into but like gambling can be fun for awhile.
    Here is one he bought years ago. It was not expensive then. Had a 318 Poly with full marine chrome
    Don

Attached Files:

30. nefareous

nefareous
    from maryland

I have several, they are lots of fun and lotsa $. You know what boat stands for,right?..Break Out Another Thousand. Heres my "classic" sailboat project, built in 1888 by Lawley

Attached Files: