Register now to get rid of these ads!

Detroit Autorama Ridler 2010

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greg32, Dec 24, 2009.

1. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

The Grand Forks family, which owns the Rydell GM Auto Center, Honda Nissan of Grand Forks and Crookston Motors dealerships, continues to expand its regional network of auto dealerships. Rydell Automotive Group has grown to nearly 70 dealerships in 11 states.

Founder Leonard Rydell moved to Grand Forks in 1954 from Montgomery, Minn., purchased the Border Chevrolet dealership and changed the name to Rydell Chevrolet.

Wes Rydell, who remains involved in the family business, bought out his father, Leonard, in 1976.

Brian, Bob and their father, Wes, now are co-owners of the three local Rydell dealerships.

2. coupedevil

coupedevil

Driving our ride too! Live about 45 miles from Philadelphia, PA and drove the 32 5 window last year. This year our other toy something a little bit different but fun!! See ya in the basement Rob and Kyle (Violators Motor Club):D

3. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

4. Dead Pan

Dead Pan

i read in a older issue of hot rod that the 56 chrysler rad rides by troy built was knocked out of the top 8 cause the frame was displayed at goodguys columbus, would of liked to see how that car would of faired against 7 others

5. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

That would have won hands down over the other 8.

6. WOW! I still cant believe how many people that are on the hamb are this intrested in the riddler award?????? I just thought that those display cars(thats what I call them) went against everything the hamb was all about. 20' rims on a streetrod?????? Come on guys , has the hamb came to this? Yes I understand the amount of work and hours and $ that are put into these cars.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
  7. Weasel

Weasel

Okay Denise has said it many times:

ONE D IN RIDLER

It has nothing to do with Batman - geddit????:confused:

8. chrisclarkcustoms

chrisclarkcustoms
    from las vegas

A guy could build 10 cars with the same amount of time and money.
    I always thought those cars are ''look at what my shop can do''
    type of cars.

9. Special Ed

Special Ed

The Ridler award has been around since 1964. That's older than most members on here have been alive. It's a part of hot rod history whether you agree with it, or what it has become, or not...:)

10. John Denich

John Denich

SO a customer walks in and says hey I got a Million dollars build me a car for the Ridler...you will say no!!! HUH

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Has nothing to do with what the HAMB's focus is and everything to do with lots of us being able to apprecaite a well designed, well excuted car no matter the style.

So? Marketing at it's finest AND on someone else's dime! What's wrong with that?? It actually doesn't get any smarter than that in my book.

12. hotrodladycrusr really summed it up, very well, different purposes for different people.

As to driving the car, finkd, has driven his car all over the country and thinks the Ridler B400 is incapable of driving down the road reliably under it's own power for 2000 miles. I don't know much about Finkd's car but if I had my choice of taking off tomorrow to drive to California, I would choose the B400. The finest of everything mechanically, Stereo, Air conditioning, plus the advantage of eye pleasing asthetics, and the satisfaction of knowing it had topped them all, at the Detroit Autorama.

Come on, as the owner has stated, when this show season is over, he will be driving it. I know the man, and he means what he says.

13. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

I'd say, "A million might get you a Ridler contendership, 2 mil might get you a Great 8, and 3 mil might get you a winner.....show me the money and we'll talk bud." :D

14. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Would I ever build a Ridler-caliber car? Prolly not. Will I look at 'em? Yep.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  15. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

I have might have rumors about ridler 2012 or 2013, but i guess you guys will have to wait...

16. Antny

Antny
    BANNED
    from Noo Yawk

Does anyone have photos of the Ridler award winning cars from the last 5 or so years?

17. slammed

slammed

Shameless ego's w/ million's spent on one car. I prefer the 'Ridder' from that '60's Batman T.V. show........

18. John Denich

John Denich

So if you spend alot of money your car you have a shamless ego???? HUH

19. John Denich

John Denich

Some from the 60's winners that is

Attached Files:

20. John Denich

John Denich

last ten years winners!!! To me the first 5 winner don't look like they can be driven!!!! All of the car in the last ten years look like they can be driven!!!

Attached Files:

21. They could be driven but lets not kid ourselves ...... Their not driven. How does the first 5 look like they cant be driven ?

22. Regardless of whatever the respective the 'debut rules' are, I'd like to see cars like Dan Webb's 'Submarine' and the Jackie Howerton/Fred Fleet 'Indy Speedster' be considered for the the Ridler. In my eyes, both of these cars have elevated what is possible to create as 'rolling sculpture' and done so in a minimalist style than shuns adornment and accoutrements. Their minimalist style and their masterful designs of only the most necessary of components visually and emotionally bring us closer to the essence of motoring.

Isn't that what it's all about?...Having fun with cars? or have we forgotten that?

23. I'd say to be classified as driven, they must be first, street legal, and sceond, have the appearance that they could possible be someone daily driver.

1964 Purpose built dragster made for 7 second straight line 1/4 mile drives. Can't take that cross country.
    [​IMG]

1965 "Venturian" This is the only one that looks like it could be a potential daily driver.
    [​IMG]

1966 Another drag car, Nope
    [​IMG]

1967 "The Deora" concept car and also a Full Size Hot Wheel, Nope
    [​IMG]

1967 Fire Engine No. 13 its a 1:1 scale kit, Nope
    [​IMG]

Anything can compete for the Ridler that's the beauty of the Award, you never know what's going to show up in Cobo Hall. As long as the vehicle "emphasizes creativity, engineering and workmanship" it can win the award.

24. I agree, I would have loved to see both of those cars compete the award. But, because of the Ridler's rules it forces a builder to choose when and where to debut their creation. And when your building a "rolling sculpture" like those two cars, you don't work on a time line. When it's done, it's done, and if it happens to be just before the first weekend in March, Great! but if not, there are other big events to debut at, like SEMA.

Maybe we should all remember what Lil John Buttera once told H.A.M.B. member JESSEJAMES:

"Don't take all that car shit so serious, Its all just an alternitive to walking"

Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  25. Dead Pan

Dead Pan

[​IMG]ive actually witnessed this car on the road cause it passed me going to a car show in scottsdale arizona then was able to look at it upclose and personal. The car is incredible in person and was blown away to see a foose car driven on public roads

26. The Grand Master is driven as well (picture number 3 of the last 10 years) so not all of them are just show pieces.

I find it hard to believe that if you are into fabrication of any sort one can't find something interesting and inspiring in these cars. Are they what this forum is about, no, but the attention to detail, the fabrication ideas and the execution that comes out of them are mind numbing and to me at least incredibly inspiring.

27. I agree, I have seen it in real life. It was great to see Mike still working away on his hot rod, that big proud smile on his face was priceless.

28. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

he took everything I like about 49-50's and messed it all up.

[​IMG]

29. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

people talk about the big money spent, makes me wonder how much of that is labor?