Register now to get rid of these ads!

ID Artillery Wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mike hamel, Feb 14, 2009.

1. flatheadute1934

flatheadute1934
    from Canada

A friend has a couple of sets of general jumbo different than this and the hub caps are smaller(both sizes of general hubcaps) and fir into the wheel raather than over the wheel as these must.

2. American Metrics

American Metrics

Any idea what these are from? I'm looking for caps if anyone knows of a supplier. I have two with rings like this and two with the clips. They are 5X4.5 mounting by 16".

Attached Files:

3. mike hamel

mike hamel

Hey American Metrics, are you sure that they measure 5x4.5 for the bolt pattern, they sure look to me that they are 1930's Studebaker artillery wheel judging by the center hole is further recessed in the wheel then Dodge/Plymouth artillery wheels.

4. American Metrics

American Metrics

I was told 1935ish Moparan and yes 5 on 4.5". I have another set with the wide flexible cap clips. I'm hoping to find caps for these. Back spacing is slightly different between the two styles.

5. American Metrics

American Metrics

I will try to get you some better pictures if it will help. I would like to figure out what these wheels are off of.
    Thanks

6. American Metrics

American Metrics

Here is another picture of it mounted on my rod. It does fit the 5x4.5.

Attached Files:

7. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I ended up helping a fellow rodder out with my last set of Plymouth Artillery's and now guess what. I NEED ANOTHER SET! I will buy spares, one at a time whatever you got, I posted a wanted add but figure I would try here as well. The ones I need/want have 10 holes. Please PM if you have any with a price with possible shipping to Burlington KY

8. can i get some help with this one.
    17x4
    WHEEL.jpg

thanks

johnny

9. 35touring

35touring
    from Kentucky

You know I would really like to see what they would look like on my car. Body colored w/trim ring & center cap.
    I know a couple of companies are making them in 15" wheel repos. IM just thinking the stock ones would be too narrow for my car.
    [​IMG]

10. Poobah

Poobah
    from Sandy Eggo

Hi guys - I just bought an old utility trailer off a guy and plan to breathe some life into it... The first thing I need to do is make sure my wheels / tires are ok... After cleaning it up and tossing some of the junk away, I started trying to take the wheels off... The lug nuts were rusted solid on them...but I finally prevailed with the help of an air impact wrench (after liquid wrench, a breaker bar, and heating the lug with a torch all didn't budge them!).

Anyway - these wheels have a strange pattern...and I have been trying to 1. ID them and 2. Figure out what my options are once I have done that. In other words, are there cheap new wheels out there that will fit the pattern? ...or maybe used but not quite so old? ...or are these wheels just fine and all I need to do is hit them with a wire brush and some chemicals or something and get them back on there? What kind of tires can I buy for them? Should I repack the wheel bearings or leave them rusted shut and sealed up? (Why fix what ain't broke philosophy vice preventative maintenance thinking...but in this case, it might cause more trouble to open them up...). What else do I need to know? Here are some pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks!

11. Carter

Carter

Wheels are ford, 36-39 16". Can use any standard tube type bias 16" tire.
    Front end is 37 38 or 39 ford axle, spring wishbone, spindles, hubs/drums. Could be 36 also, but looks like 37-41 spindles.
    Wheel bearings are common and readily available thru any early Ford parts supplier.

12. gonzoengineer

gonzoengineer

I've never seen these before but they have a neat 'stamp' to them.

13. mike hamel

mike hamel

Dave you are exactly right about the 1936-1939 Ford wide 5 wheels. these are not techincally "artillery wheels" but are primarily referred to as wide 5's. Everything else Carter said is correct. Pretty common wheels but looks like you scored with the amount of usable parts that you got. Great deal! Any more questions, just ask!

14. mike hamel

mike hamel

Hey Johnny, That wheel is a 17" 1935 Standard Chevy Artillery wheel. Found on chevy cars and trucks back in the 1930's. The dimensions are 17" in diameter and 4" wide. The bolt pattern is a unique 5x4.25". Not a common bolt pattern used. Thanks for asking! Ill be happy to help with anything else.

15. BISHOP

BISHOP

I saw your letter to Rod & Custom today, are they going to do an article, I think it would be a good read if they decide too.

16. Poobah

Poobah
    from Sandy Eggo

Thanks for the info!

If you were in my shoes, would you continue to use these on the trailer or pull them off and get them to a Ford guy to use? You said they are pretty common so I assume you would just use them on the trailer...

How would you clean them up? Sand-blast them? Then coat them with something and paint them? Can you get that kind of tire at any tire place? I will google for an early Ford parts supplier unless you guys have a good one either online or local to San Diego. Appreciate it!

17. mike hamel

mike hamel

Yes, Rob and I are trying to figure out all of the particulars in the article. Oh by the way, where did you happen to find the article? If people read this, I would love if people could support the article of artillery wheels in Rod and Custom and email rod and custom telling them you would like to see my article get published. Please and thank you!

18. mike hamel

mike hamel

So its all about how much you like and use the trailer, sure the axle and brakes, spindles, ect can be parted out and cleaned up and sold. I would say the spindles are worth $100, wheels $50, drums $50, axle $50-75, and so on. If you feel that this is money you could use then have them sit. Part the trailer out. If you restore the parts, you will for sure get even more then my estimation on prices.

Tires can be found at coker tire. They are one of the largest suppliers in bias ply tires. I am sure you could find bias ply tires at your local tire shop but true correct tires can be found at coker tire. Thanks!

19. BISHOP

BISHOP

R&C March 2010....Its in the letters to the editor section (rappin) by Rob Fortier. They have a pic of your pick-up too.

20. American Metrics

American Metrics

Last try with some better pictures. I hope someone can ID these for me. I would like to find some caps. I was told they are around 1935 Plymouth. The fronts and rears have a slightly different offset.

Attached Files:

21. Poobah

Poobah
    from Sandy Eggo

Thanks for the info and insights, Mike - much appreciated! I have another question if you don't mind... I took one of the wheels down to the tire store today to see what my options were on that end. I've dealt with them before and are good people. The manager spent a lot of time looking things up for me - he enjoyed the challenge. He thought that perhaps the VW wide 5 (205mm I think he said) pattern would work on the axle if I wanted to buy a new wheel for the trailer. He said that way I could go with 15's and then I would have a lot of options for tires...and it would be a lot cheaper as well. (My other option is to clean up the wheels I have and buy the bias ply 16's with inner tubes as you suggested...but: 1. It would be more expensive and 2. I would be worried about the structural integrity of the old wheels with all that rust <though they are probably fine...they lasted 70+ yrs already...hehe> - and it would be a hell of a lot of work to clean up those wheels properly).

He deals with Coker and can order through them for me if needed - however, for my purposes that route is probably too expensive!

So my question is whether or not the 1936-39 Ford pattern is interchangeable with the VW pattern? I can provide a link to the wheel I am looking at specifically if you like. Thanks!

Edit: Here is a link to the wheel - it is the White Baja - Series 81. http://www.uniquewheel.com/catalog_pg7.html

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  22. thank you mike

:):):)

i'll send r/c an e-mail .

johnny

23. No, VW wheels will not fit.

24. Poobah

Poobah
    from Sandy Eggo

Dang - ok, thanks guys. One last question - thanks for bearing with me. Does anyone make an adapter so one could use a different (more modern) lug pattern / wheel / tire?

25. Huckster59

Huckster59

i have a set of 15" 6 lug on my 48

26. Huckster59

Huckster59

do you guys run inner tubes in these wheels?

27. mike hamel

mike hamel

Hey, been meaning to email you back. No you have to run innertubes on any old artillery wheel or wire wheel. The tire has no way to let the bead seal on a wheel like these. Tubes are cheap and easy to replace if you get a flat. I would not worry about it. Thanks!

28. kgriff

kgriff
    from CA

Ran across this one a couple of days ago and didn't see anything like it in this thread. It's 5 on 5 1/2 and is 14 x 6 1/2. Any ideas? Thanks

Attached Files:

29. LOWFOMOCO

LOWFOMOCO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Mike, I am going to need a lot of help....may be easier if you could tell me where I could get a spotters guide or something. A fellow HAMBER and I experienced a wheel and tire "barn find" thanks to my next door neighbor. He told me that there was an old barn on his hunting property that was full of old wheels and tires and that if I wanted them all I had to do was go get them. Needless to say I came home with about 90 wheels and tires....all of them are various sizes and lug patterns. I can identify some of them but still need a lot of help with the others. Not all are "Artillery" wheels but I did get a few of them. Any Idea where I could get a wheel and tire "spotters guide"? Here are some pics of my score.....[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

30. mike hamel

mike hamel

I have seen these wheels as well, what I have been told is that they were used on old sprint car/ midgets. Not quite the wheel you come across a lot. Especially since its a 14" wheel. Pretty small but heavy duty.