Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Unique barn find/ Merry Christmas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nitrohonkey, Dec 25, 2009.

1. So amazing, they just dont make things like the use too.

2. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

What's really amazing is how much I wish that stuff was still around 50/60 years later when I was learning the mysteries of car construction. Those moving parts really drive the lesson home.

In particular, I just could not wrap my head around the needle & seat concept after bunches of drawings and explanation. Took a carburetor rebuild to get the neurons connected because it allowed me to handle the pieces in 3 dimensions. Learning is a weird thing and electronic society seems to be forgetting how important touch is to retained memory. The carburetor page in this book would've cut months off my learning curve, as would the ring & pinion page.

Thanks for sharing the pics, never seen anything like it before.

3. motorhead711

motorhead711

4. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

insane, 100% treasure.

5. It's all good my friend. Very cool stuff to be sure and looking forward to seeing what else he finds.

6. noboD

noboD

Nitrohonkey, now that we got that all cleared up, is there too much of this manual too copy? Either to paper or disc?? I for one would be happy to PAY for a good copy of it, I'm sure there's a ton of info there. I know that's not why you posted it here, but I'm just asking.

7. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

As a kid I grew up in truck yards. i remember one down on Swan Island that had a sign in the drivers room that said:

"BE SURE BRAIN IS ENGAGED, BEFORE PUTTING MOUTH IN MOTION"

lets get back on trac folks.......bitchin find hands down.....lots o jealous motorheads droollin on their keyboards..... thanks for posting the pics

8. Thanks for sharing that find. I was given some Dykes Manuals a few years ago, and they are a wealth of "interesting" information.

9. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Very cool. Museum stuff or maybe an old brass era collector would buy it from you.

10. THAT, to me, is an absolutely priceless teasure...

11. Toner283

Toner283

Cool find, Cant wait for more pics.

12. Dirtynails

Dirtynails
    from garage

I have my late uncles Dykes books from 1917 too.
    I was showing a young nephew the manual collection and he asked why Dykes would need instructions,especially such a big book....

13. fisher_man_matt

fisher_man_matt

Cool find. Love the old artwork.

14. SniffnPaint

SniffnPaint

Ah man that thing is awesome. Looks brand new! Cool Find

15. gary9202

gary9202

Not a barn find, but my mother sent me this....not sure where it came from
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. cwl52

cwl52
    BANNED

that letter has been posted about every other month for as long as the hamb has been running, and its still cool to read.

17. HemiRambler

HemiRambler

Merry Christmas is RIGHT. Neatest thing I've seen here in a long long time!!!!

18. nutter

nutter

my Grandfather had a set of these also came for steam engine & marine engines sad part My Grandmother through them out when she was having one of her moments I still remember looking theough these books thanks for posting this its brought back good memories

19. HAHAHA
    I am a vag-i-tarioin too! Best smart ass response so far! Love it!:D

20. That very interesting, not to mention very cool...none the less... what happens when the power to our computers is cut off??? as a result, all books are burned at that point. Just and idea. No to mention, likely bad.:eek:
    Hang on to your old literature for future rodders!

21. I am happy to see everyone is enjoying this thread! Glad to see our wonderful HAMB moderator(s) kicked all of the bs off without killing this thread!( took a long time to post all of the pics!) Thanks for all of the responses!

22. BISHOP

BISHOP

Thanks for showing those pics. I had never seen those books before. Purty cool.

23. fastrnu

fastrnu
    from shelton,wa

all books are burned at that point. Just and idea. No to mention, likely bad.:eek:

not to appear OLD but didnt they make a movie about that!
    "Farenhiet 451"

24. Thats a very cool find, never seen anything like that before. Thank you for sharing.

25. Neightbor is talking crazy...says he may consider selling it. I think I would save this for my grandchildren...just me though. Does anybody have an idea what he should do if he wants to sell it?