Register now to get rid of these ads!

GM reverse part number look-up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by GTOnly70, Dec 27, 2009.

1. GTOnly70

GTOnly70

I've acquired a number of car parts - much of which I don't know what they were on originally (don't get excited, most of it is not that old). Mostly GM, but some Chrysler and Ford as well. Does anyone know a good site where I could type in the part numbers to identify the part? GM, Ford, or Chrysler?

A search on the internet (formerly a useful tool for such inquiries) seems to result in an endless loop of search engines with very little actual useful information...

2. I just google them usually, newer stuff isn't hard to track down, but the older stuff you almost need to get into old catalogs to look up. For instance, I have an old Auto-Lite 2-32 condensor set here that I got a bunch of possible applications on and nothing firm. But if I run the GM number for a 1990s exhaust manifold I not only get application but the Hollander number too.

3. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

try bing.com

4. J Man

J Man
    from Angola, IN

or get friendly with the local counter guy at the dealership

5. This is a good idea.The Advance Auto stores has an intranet where they can go into a Keystone site (not available on the www) and it has a cross reference where you punch in a part number and it tells all the vehicles and years it fits.You need to find an old guy though.The younger part timers never find this out.

6. OldBuzzard

OldBuzzard

The AC Delco web site did have a lookup where you could put in the GM part number and it would list everything the part was used on. Haven't been there in a while, but it probably is still there. acdelco.com.

7. swsimon

swsimon

Try www.partsvoice.com it's free to join and it is a very helpful site when looking for parts. Most of the time if you type in the p/n it comes back with a description of the part. Scott

8. jxnslotcar

jxnslotcar

Great site and it is free to register. Thank you!

9. Jeffrey Fowler

Jeffrey Fowler

this is just what I need. I have a part with an AC Delco number and I have no idea what year it is made for, Its off of a gauge set and the part # isn't on record. Now to learn the procedure for doing a reverse lookup.

10. gmpartswiki.com is a good resource as well (also works for limited ford and Jeep)

moparboy440 likes this.
  11. Suede53

Suede53
    from Ohio

12. Boneyard51

Boneyard51

Not the best, but I have entered part numbers into E-bay and found out what they fit/are. Doesn’t always work, though.

Bones

13. Well FWIW, seven digit part numbers that start with 38 or 39 are Chevrolet, 97 or 98 are Pontiac. 70 or 17 are usually Rochester Products, 56 or 78 are Saginaw Steering. 18 or 19 were Delco-Remy, 59 was Delco Guide. Not a perfect system but should be some help?

squirrel and adam401 like this.
  14. squirrel

squirrel

Some guys go so far as to actually include the part number in their post, and others help them find out what it is.

But you didn't give us the fun of the search...oh well.

15. Again with the seven digit part numbers, 30 and 31 were Harrison Radiator supplied cooling system parts. New Departure Hyatt bearings, six digit 90 and seven digit 74. Of course this all more or less went out the window at some point about the middle 70's, from then on it started to become the "wild wild west" in their numbering system with the beginning greater usage of six digit numbers, we saw no pattern to much of that usage.

GM never officially told us the numbering system. Some sources in the corporation stated that there was no reasoning to the numbering system but we knew this was kind of false by our own observations. Another thing, we were told that casting numbers should not be used as an means to identify a part due to a casting may be used as a basis for many different part numbers depending how it was configured. Good example there is the 3970010 engine block, could be a two or four bolt engine. but you all know that anyhow. Parts technical assistance was in it's infancy back then, handled at the local PDC level with personnel good bad or indifferent levels of competency in problem solving.

I was always envious of the Ford parts system with their numbering at least starting in the 1950's. When you get a part number that told you the car line, what it was and how many revisions all in the part number it had to make the job easier.

16. 54vicky

54vicky

I think after all these years the parts he was trying to ID are even older now and rarer