Register now to get rid of these ads!

Any welding classes around Georgia?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Psychoholic, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Psychoholic

Psychoholic

I'd really like my welding to get better and be able to do better than just ugly 'we're going to cover that with carpet' welding on floor pans and would love to be able to do brackets (like if I decide to bag my car). I have checked with my local community college (Gwinnett Tech) and they have the certification classes, but not any kind of hobbyist type classes or weekend. I don't really care for a certification level course, just a few classes on how to weld better (not looking for a career out of it). The closest thing I've been able to find is a 'creative welding' class at Athens Tech (athens GA - about 20 minutes from my house in Loganville GA).

Does anybody have any suggestions on where I can expand my knowledge beyond DVDs and books?

Thanks!

Chris

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Get a decent brand-name welder, buy or borrow. Read the books and watch the DVD's. Read the manual for the welder.

Then, practice, practice, prazatice.

That is how most of us learned, even if we certified later. Class or not, the only way to get good is to practice, a lot.

You can totally do this!:D Post your results here and we will give you tips on how to improve it.

3. yardgoat

yardgoat

I dont think you could get any better advice than gimpyshotrods left for ya.Practice,practice,ect ,ect..............YG

4. D-fens

D-fens
    from Huntsville

See if any school local to you offers a welding course on a continuing - education basis. Gwinnett Tech used to have one, but not anymore I guess.

If not you may have to freestyle it and teach yourself. I lucked up and found an entry-level class at a local adult education - type school in Huntsville.

Currently debating on whether to move up and take a TIG certification - oriented class or try and find a part-time welding gig.

5. plym_46

plym_46
    from central NY

Check with the welding supply store. they sometimes have lessons for folks who buy their machies or take folks on a pay to play basis.

6. duste01

duste01

what he said..and cert. classses if you so desire

7. codeblu

codeblu

I think North Georgia Technical College in Robbinsville still teaches welding classes.

8. fisher_man_matt

fisher_man_matt

I'd reconsider the course at the community college. A few years back I took a similar course. Although the course was aimed at certification, the majority of the students were hobbyist. We were shown the basics and encouraged to bring in our own projects. I don't know if the instructor at you local community college will do the same, but the class I took perfectly fits the description of what you original post wanted. Another thing to consider is cost. The course I took cost $60 for a 9 week class, twice a week three hours a night. We had an unlimited supply of new metal and consumables to learn.

9. Mark Hinds

Mark Hinds
    from pomona ca

I agree with gimpy. What makes most beginners beginners for so long is that they start with inferiour equipment and wrong rod for the machine ( arc welding) or setting for MIG. Tig is really the easiest of the processes. If you don't have enough power to the welder that also makes for some bird crap welding (mig). If you get good equipment and can get someone that has experiance you can learn to weld in hours not months. I am self taught and have made every mistake you could possibly think of. ( been doing it for 42 years) If you keep making mistakes and nobody is there to point out what you are doing wrong, you keep making mistakes. Good luck and remember welding is not rocket science. I don't live in your neck of the woods, but I help many beginners in my area. Being retired I like passing along the trade to some new craftsmen....

Last edited: Dec 27, 2009
  10. Psychoholic

Psychoholic

Thanks for the input guys - a few responses.

I've got a 110v welder right now (it's a matco with a tweco gun - I have gas for it, but the tank is small, so I switched leads and went back to flux core) that is on long term borrow from one of my best friends. Got a plasma cutter and a bunch of steel to play with! (just bought a 4'x10' sheet of 18 gauge A36 hot rolled last week)

I did buy the video from http://howtoasap.com/mig _weld _automotive_sheet_medal.html that helped out immensely (hearing the sizzle and what it sounds like when you are overfeeding and underfeeding and hot/cold welding was a tremendous help - I would recommend this to anybody who wants to learn to weld). I've got a few books on welding, including the 'fundamentals of welding'.

I've been practicing like mad on the floors of my car, and the welds are definitely looking better, the penetration is looking good - but this is just on floor pans with some .023 wire, so it's not that hard. I do tend to put tons of metal in my welds:

http://gallery.me.com/psychoholic#100030/IMG_1263&bgcolor=black

I'm going to be working on the other side of the car for the next 2 days, so maybe I'll have some better pictures.

11. river1

river1

12. monkeysmooks

monkeysmooks

I'd highly recommend talking to Garey Bish over at Gwinnett Tech if you get a chance. He's a good dude, a great instructor, and if nothing else, could probably help steer you toward your goal of learning to weld at home. Plus, as stated earlier, for the low cost of the courses, it's pretty sweet to have all of the equipment, materials and consumables at your disposal.

13. tikinailhead

tikinailhead

i'm taking the diploma course at gwinett tech. it's a really good course. Garey Bish is a great teacher. i think you should think more about about it.

14. tikinailhead

tikinailhead

not to mention thanks to hope grant and pell grant, not only is school and books free, i get paid to go to school.

15. Psychoholic

Psychoholic

I did speak to Garey the other day and he was super helpful - he was the one who told me that they don't really do weekend classes anymore. If they do one, I'd jump all over it. I think my sheet metal work is coming along nicely with the flux core (I"ll post some updated pics in my 'vacation of fabrication' thread later today).