Register now to get rid of these ads!

chevy ll 4 banger ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lilbill, Nov 24, 2006.

1. flyin-t

flyin-t

I like the price of your sedan in the pic!

Bo also ran a Chevy II in the modified. All his stuff was nice.

2. leon renaud

leon renaud
    from N.E. Ct.

As long as you have the correct rotation cam the boat cam is fine in a car the boat motor could have clockwise OR counter clockwise rotation.The boat cams are a little hotter than the car cams I remember guys running the "merc" cams in some of the hot rods back then

G_Don likes this.
  3. Last edited: Nov 2, 2009
  4. Ratty55

Ratty55
    from Frohna,MO

I'm looking for an exhaust manifold for my grandpa's airport tug. It has an industrial 153 in it. If anyone has any ideas where i could find one, it would be greatly apreciated!
    Justin

5. bigblock352

bigblock352
    from Florida

I just bought a '62 chevy II with the 153 in it. I am going to zero deck the block, put a mercruiser 120 head with smal block chevy valves, a clifford intake and headers with a weber carb and the comp cams 252H or 260 H havent made my mind up yet, backed by a 5 speed out of a 90's camero. I hoping to get over 20mpg in town and over 25 mpg on the highway (not driving like an A-hole) Am I going to be able to do this or am I way off here? How will the power be?

Thanks for any help

6. flyin-t

flyin-t

The 120 head is still siamesed ports. The 140 head is an 8 port head. Clifford sells a intake flange for the 140 head too so you can build your own manifold.

7. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

I'm looking for a rear sump oil pan that would fit a 153. I think some of the early 151 engines had a pan that would fit. I think the 77-78 and some 79 Monza/Astre pans would fit. Anyone have one or a lead on one?

8. Phil1934

Phil1934

4 more days on ebay

9. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

What is the item number?

10. bobscogin

bobscogin

No relation except both are 4 cylinders. The 153 Chevy II engine was derived by removing 2 cylinders from the 6 cylinder. The basic architecture is the same. The 2.5L (151c.i.) Iron Duke is a Pontiac engine and has it's own architecture.

Bob

11. Phil1934

Phil1934

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  12. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

Thanks Phill!
    I could never figure out which Mercruiser pan would be the same as a 153 pan.

"No relation except both are 4 cylinders. The 153 Chevy II engine was derived by removing 2 cylinders from the 6 cylinder. The basic architecture is the same. The 2.5L (151c.i.) Iron Duke is a Pontiac engine and has it's own architecture."

The first block for the 151, in 1977, was the same as the 153, except for the bore.
    The 153 bore was 3 7/8" and the 151 was 4". Both the 153 and the early ('80 and before) RWD 151s had the Chevy bellhousing pattern.
    From researching the oil pan interchange it looks like the oil pan rails changed when the head was redesigned in late '78 to '80 for the crossflow design, i.e. intake and exhaust on opposite sides of the head.
    The distributor was moved toward the back of the block in the crossflow engines, away from the oil pump drive. I'm not sure if it was driven by the oil pump drive in '77 & '78.
    The 151 engines in the Monzas & clones, first used in the Pontiac Astre/Sunbird to replace the crappy Vega 144, all used HEI distributors.
    The block was definitely redesigned, again, in '79 1/2, for the then new FWD cars. The new block had the same bellhousing pattern as the 2.8 60 degee V6, with the starter mounted on the opposite side of the block.
    The block used in later than '80 RWD cars had this bellhousing pattern but the starter was mounted on the pass side of the block.

13. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

Phil-
    Looking at the 120 oil pan on Ebay, I think that is a front sump pan. The part going to the timing cover is longer than the rear seal end and has bolt holes to secure it to the timing cover.

14. bigblock352

bigblock352
    from Florida

what are you guys getting for mpg's with the 153?

15. bobscogin

bobscogin

Good info, and correct. The original poster was asking about the 80's-90's version and their relationship to the 153, and by then there really wasn't much. One good bit of info on the Iron Duke is that the Jeep version used the "traditional" Chevy bellhousing pattern. I think that was 1980 to '82 or '83.

Bob

16. The 3.875" bore 153 had a 3.25" stroke. The true Iron Duke 151 was 4.00" bore X 3.00" stroke.....same as half of the 302 V8.

17. wizzard23

wizzard23

Been running one of these in our 23 track t since the early 90's. Started out with a '64 car motor. The bottom end went bad after several years, so the search was on. Found a pre crossflow head 151 c.i. Pontiac but God what UGLY manifolds. Ihad already cleaned up and powdercoated the Chevy ones that Ihad been running, so the Chevy head went on the new Pontiac shortblock. Had to also use the Chevy cam as the fireing order is different. Found this out the hard way. Anyway this is tied to a powerglide(not a great choice) and a 3.70 geared Ford ". Has 31' tall rear tires. Not a powerhouse but runs down the road ok. Iwould like to add a cool manifold , carb and headers, but it has a full hood that was alot of work to build and theres just no room. We have ran many miles with small blocks, big blocks and even Hemis and have kept up ok. Besides I'm the only one having the fun of driving with my foot flat on the floor!

18. draggin breath

draggin breath

Thje early '80's Jeep mailtrucks had another neat thing;a 3 speed Torqueflite 999 with the chevy bolt pattern. perfecy way to get a 3 speed automatic in a lite car or rod.

19. dixiedog

dixiedog

Okay - I heard that the head is a 460 Ford Big Block on the 3L Mercruiser Engines - There is one around hear for $300 and I have an keen interest in these. What trannys will hook up to a mercruiser is the still the same as SBC?

20. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

I just bought one of these from a friend of mine. He collects vintage race cars and parts. He has a couple there with fuel injectors and all. The one I bought from him has a hand fabricated 2 carb intake and a header. He said It was in a sand dragster Jeep? I bought it because I didn't want to be like everyone else, and wanted to get some decent gas mileage from my model A. I already have enough gas pigs!!!!

What kind of trannys do I have a choice of, I would like to go with a 4 or 5 speed.

21. Spity

Spity

With an overdrive close to 30 mpg with the right set up. IE light car, no belt driven accessories, electric fan. Im planning for close to 30 in my Chevy II build, i was getting 24 or so with a 6 cylinder and a powerglide so its doable.

Im working on a mold for an aluminum manifold, 2x1, and side drafts. Should be a fun winter project :p.

The early mercruiser motors are the same as the chevy II motor.

22. dixiedog

dixiedog

This is the one I am looking at 3.0L Mercruiser -
    From what I have seen on here - small block tranny bell-housing will bolt up, right?

Attached Files:

23. Spity

Spity

Yes it will work, thats a 181 cubic inch. I cant tell which manifold style it is. You might need to use a chevy flex plate though. They still make these motors brand new.

24. dixiedog

dixiedog

Thanks Spity - $300 a good deal?

25. brocluno

brocluno

I've seen one with the SBC cross flow head. Don't know how hard it was, but it's been done.

26. Spity

Spity

Depends on what your doing with it, also depends on which head it has. They made some that are a pain to put in a car, unless you want the exhaust going out the hood. You can always swap the head out to a later style.

There was a guy who was selling a running chevy ii 4 cylinder from Socal for a couple hundred bucks.

27. bobscogin

bobscogin

Nope, that's a different Mercruiser 4 cylinder, not the 3.0L. It's not a car engine, but rather a proprietary Mercruiser block cast in aluminum. It does use the 460 Ford head.

Bob

28. flyin-t

flyin-t

Not sure what you're talking about with the exhaust on a 181 having to go through the hood? They're exactly the same as the smaller 153 chevy engine. The only difference with the heads is the intake ports are individual the intake valves are bigger. Blocks are the same too, but they have a stroker crank and use special non chevy rods and pistons. The 153 (110 and 120 hp mercruiser) uses standard chevy stuff.

You can see the 8 port head on this new 140 hp, 181 cubic inch mercruiser on ebay. All 140 hp mercruisers use this head. There is nothing odd about the placement of the exhaust ports.

Again, you can still buy header and intake flanges for this head from clifford.

300 bucks for a 140, if the blocks not cracked from a freeze, is a great deal.

29. flyin-t

flyin-t

You're right. My friend use to crew on a sprint car here in so cal when Ascot was still the place to go on weeked nights and their engine builder did this head/block swap for his midget racing customers. He said, I never saw him do it, the the bore centers are the same on the banger and V8, and even some of the head bolts were in the correct location. I've always thought it's be fun to do one of these.

Found this pic on the hamb somewhere.

30. bob308

bob308

i built a few of them when running 4 cyl. stockcars.
    things i have learned:
    the chevy11 153 had a bore of 37/8 and a stroke of 3 1/4
    the later 151 had a bore of 4" with a stroke of 3" and yes the earley crank will fit the later block so you have a stroker. the main bearings and rods are the same.
    now the 181 mercruser has a bore of 4" with a 3.600 stroke. the merc. crank has larger rod bearings so you can get the cranks offset ground to take the smaller rod bearings and pick up about another 1/8" stroke making a 4"bore x 3 3/4 stroke all that in a 4 cyl. block. use the 181 head it flows the best just make a intake to fit it. we used 2 carter side draft carbs.{ like on the vette 6cyl. engines}