Register now to get rid of these ads!

Porta-Band or Chop Saw?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crusty Nut, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

I'm on the fence as to which I should buy. 90% of the work I do is hot rod stuff, 10% whatever else needs fixing or built around here.
    I used to have a 14" chop saw until it wore out. The last couple years I've just been using the sawsall, plasma cutter, or 3" cutoff wheels. I've been thinking it is time to finally replace it.
    I've used a porta-band a few times years ago and liked it, just not sure what I would like better now.
    I can't afford a cold saw, so don't go there.
    Thanks

2. Theres a guy on here that sells a table to convert that portable bandsaw into an upright one mounted in a vice. Probably makes the desicion harder knowing that though. Sorry:)

3. flatford39

flatford39

I use a chop saw and my converted band saw. I actually prefer the band saw as it is quieter and cleaner. I bought a wood cutting band saw and converted it to steel cutting via a jack shaft and a lot of help from alot of hambers. They can be picked up pretty cheap used and you will find out how to convert by doing a search here. I had to slow mine down to the tune of a 22 to 1 reduction if I remember correct. Hamber Brianangus had the correct set up.

4. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Chop saw .I bought a real cheap one from pepboys 2 years ago and it works great,I needed a designated line because of the amps.Works greay on 2x3 and 2x4 ,steel .I don't use it everyday ,But hell for 40.00 after the mail in rebate ,One of the best tools I bought in a long time.........

5. billygoat67

billygoat67

my experience with the porta saw is that the are a great saw for certain apps. but for cutting tubing and stock i like my laydown band saw it cuts more precise and i can stand it up and use it that way also.
    last time i bought porta saw blades they were about the same $ as my laydown blades, i have a cheaper saw and have had it for 15+ years without a problem.
    the porta saws don't like to cut that straight whenever i use them mabe it's the thinner blades.
    i guess it realy depends what you are using it for but the new jet laydown are affordable and you can get starrett blades at your local machine shop, anyway ours has them and they last along time,and cut nice and straight.
    thats my opinion, hope it helps

6. i have a port-a-band and a chop saw....both have their purpose, but i use the port-a-band more

Milwaukee makes stand so you can use it like a chop saw, i want to get one of those for mine. also on here someone was selling a kit do you can use it as a vertical bandsaw

7. Porta band hands down for me. My chop saw has been sitting untouched for about 5 years.

8. I have a horizontal band saw, vertical band saw, port-a-band saw, sawsall and 2 chop saws.

The one that gets used the most is the oxy-acetylene cutting torch!!!!!

Seriously, I think the horizontal band saw gets used the most. It provides the most accurate and clean cuts. I bought mine from WWGrainger almost 40 years ago. It wasn't a Chinese import. It has three rollers, not two on each blade support. I can cut 2x4 steel tubing on a 45 degree angle. What more do ya' need.

Except for the torch, all the other stuff came later.

9. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

Tough call, they're the same but different.

To me, a chop saw is something portable that's carried outside to use because of how they throw sh*t everywhere. So when the weather sucks, you still need a backup if you're gonna cut. But then again, if you have a bunch to cut, or hardened steel, you can't beat the chop saw.

I prefer the bandsaw as I mostly do onsie-twosie cutting. But am looking at ways to graft my milwaukee portable onto a pedestal to make it a stationary saw. Too much stuff vibrates off the workbench when I vise-mount the cut piece.

10. Phil1934

Phil1934

I went with this one over the big plate as I can still remove and use saw within 1" of surface.

Attached Files:

11. George G

George G

Where did you get that base???

12. Phil1934

Phil1934

13. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

I bought the base for my Milwaukee portable band saw.
    The base DOES make the band saw more usable. I use it far more than before.
    BUT....
    It is hard to cut a STRAIGHT line thru thicker material with my saw. The chop saw does that better.

14. earlymopar

earlymopar

If you enjoy cleaning up hellacious burrs and dealing with hot parts, get a chop-saw. They really don't chop, they burn their way through the material.

- EM

15. earlymopar

earlymopar

"If you enjoy cleaning up hellacious burrs and dealing with hot parts, get a chop-saw. They really don't chop, they burn their way through the material."

...That is if you're talking about the abrasive disc type and not those with an actual saw blade. The latter are usually a decent saw depending on the brand.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Also if you are cutting a piece of shaft to have it machined you need to cut it with a band saw as the chop saw heats and hardens the metal at the end of the shaft.

I'm looking for a decent horizontal band saw as my chop saw was pretty well abused before I got it and Is hard to get straight cuts on a regular basis with.

Every tool or piece of equipment has it's pluses and minuses and each has it's use.

Right now I don't have bottles for my torch so my chop saw and sawsall both get a workout but neither has the accuracy that I would like at times.

17. HOTTRODZZ

HOTTRODZZ

Thin Wall Tube - chop saw all the way.

Just about everything else - band saw with Bi Metal blade's.

Also - a Matabo hand grinder with a .040 x 6.0 blade - auesome tool.

18. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

I really like my chop saw. I have a carbide blade model from makita. Dewalt has a version also. No sparks and metal cool to the touch after cutting.

No burs and a nice straight clean cut.

Attached Files:

19. I have both, would hate life if I didn't. I could get by with just a jig saw and metal blades, but it would suck.

20. noboD

noboD

Between a porta band and chop saw I'd go with the porta band, Milwaukee brand only. if you need a straight cut on a big piece, like 4X4 tube, lay it out and cut all four sides.

21. duke182

duke182

cut back on whatever little vice(cokes, smokes, etc) costs you the most and buy both when you have the cash.

22. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

OK ,help the slow guy out here please,on the chop saws with the carbide blade.
    Do you use the same saw as the abrasive blade ?
    What do the blades cost and how long do they last? thanks

23. simon g-s

simon g-s

Had the same dilema a while back. I went for a small band saw that can be used like a chop saw but also can be locked upright to use conventionally for brackets and flat work, brilliant, only £100!

24. paco

paco
    from Atlanta

I've got both ..... both get used ....... my chop saw utilizes a metal cutting carbide blade ..... which works & is not cheap.

Both have effective uses. I like em both. Hard to decide which would be best .... but I think general use would go the porta band mounted on a table set up with a foot switch.

PACO

25. timothale

timothale

one of each and more. We use the abrasive saw for most cuts. but I like the milwauke porta band for making cuts on pieces that don't fit in the chop saw. I don't use the horizontal band much any more. I put an abrasive blade in the 14 " radial arm saw to cut the 2 x 3 .188 tubing for the last frame I built. I built a torchmate for cutting brackets with the oxy- acety. later bought a plasma and blew $150 in parts when the air supply got water in It. I have a new water seperator system in the box and stuff to get it running. AS years go by you find you need at least one of everything. I the 50's I would soak arc welding rod in a bucket of water then burn steel and clean it up with a body grinder. My last porta band was $ 325 out the door with blades. I have seen chop saws for $ 100

26. Crusty Nut

Crusty Nut

This is great, lots of opinions here and there is definitely more than one best way to cut metal. I really haven't missed my chop saw too much in the last couple years and I am planning to buy a port-a-band soon.
    I automatically thought it would be a Milwaukee, but surfing the net this morning it seems like Dewalt makes a good one too. I have never owned a Dewalt anything, and the ones I have used I haven't liked too much, but the Dewalt port-a-bands seem to have a following and get good reviews.
    Anyone used both brands and have an opinion?

27. bigolds

bigolds

The money I spent on my Milwaukee Porta Band is some one of the best tool investments I've made!!!! Need to get me the accessories you guys are talking about though!!!

28. dabirdguy

dabirdguy
    Member Emeritus

My Milwaukee just died. I will check on its warranty status on Monday when the tool repair shops reopen.
    The last time it died (electrical issue) it was repaired quickly and at no cost.

29. I have a verticle band saw that's 27 years old, horizontal band saw that's 8 years old, chop box, plasma cutter, cutting torch / with hammer attachment :), hammer and chisle and a hack saw.
    What more could you ever need. :D

30. Paul

Paul
    Editor

like a lot of responses
    doesn't matter,
    first one
    get the one you need now
    then the other
    eventualy you'll need them both