Register now to get rid of these ads!

I'm askin' Santa for a good December Banger Meet

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crazydaddyo, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Congratulation Weeks. Now you need to get it out under it's own power.

I bypassed the DMV as well. I knew that If I even as much as talked to someone at the DMV about my car, I would have wound up in jail. I was reluctant to go to AAA as I was afraid they would classify it as a Special Construction.

2. T.W.Dustin

T.W.Dustin

Merry Christmas Bangers !!!

Tom

[​IMG]

3. Funny you say that Dan :D:D. I have never been to jail/prison before except on walk-throughs for work and training. I said to some buddies and family if anyone tried to confiscate my car or keep me from taking it home with me, I would be going to jail. Then some serious talks with lawyers about violation of search and seizure along with my rights being violated. I am waiting for someone to challege some of the ill use of power that I am seeing being more prevalent from state entities. I understand getting people who are building "fake" Model B(s) and other desireable cars, but not the people who have real deal pre-40 vehicles. Posession is 9/10s of the law last I checked and should be valid with how I acquired my car from the nice people I did.

DMV workers may be under alot of stress but thats no reason to forget they are getting paid for their service to us John Q public. They should help us out not hinder us. Anyways I have all the ducks inline properly and will be on the road perfectly legal without any extra fees from the state beyond the regular registration requirements every year. Bypass them while you can fellas they are bound to close up the loopholes because of budget deficits to turn more revenue.-Weeks

4. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Merry Christmas you guys.

Sorry I've not been around

The 5 main is going to take more fixing and just depressed me.

Like Bill says my back went off real bad

I've decieded to use the B block I have for now with the HAL or we'll never get Mrs B racing.

I have to drag it into the shop and look hard at it. Backs gotta get better first

OK New Years Res it to get back on the Banger thread:)

5. Michael_e

Michael_e

Bluto - Hoping you get better soon. We talked once on the phone over a year ago. Glad you are back on the board, i always liked your comments and appreciate your sharing your knowledge. Please share more and pics.
    Mike in Denver

6. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Ditto.

Keep us abreast of the Hal / B graft. I would love to see pictures of the process.

7. RussTee

RussTee

Bluto greetings from the south seas hope you are better soon bummer aint it my back also plays up .However we welcome your posts and wisdom not to mention views of the mighty hal come back soon Rusty

8. Quick question for the Ford crew,

Bob Rufi's Chevrolet 4 used a Ford C crank... what are the benefits of this crank over the stock Chevrolet and how hard (translate as how expensinve) are they to find?

PS- Bluto,

Great to hear from you- hope you feel better soon!

Bill

9. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Has anyone used a WW Stromberg on a Banger? I probably need to contact Tom Branch about these carbs, but I was thinking about a custom built manifold as my modified wiil mount the engine high in the chassis, and I don`t want the carb to stick out of the hood if at all possible.... Jetting? Two Carbs?...Thoughts?

10. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

One shot of the 'Floatless' carbs for new guys to see.

I found them many years ago. Know nothing about them :)

Attached Files:

11. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

What year was that carb made?
    thanks for the pic :D
    Bill

12. borntobewild

borntobewild

Hi

I'm making a B Ford engine to my 31 `pick up. But I discovered a large crack in one of my flywheel. So I found 2 others I had to laying around the shop, but there were also cracks in them. The one in the first picture, I dare not to use. But can I use the one in picture number 2 or is it too risky?

Rasmus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Ok fellas me and another HAMBer made the first trip in my Model A since 1966 last night. We had to try it out after we spent all afternoon working on it. We only drove it by flashlight :eek::D 2 blocks up to the local restorers house, but oh man was that a trip. No floorboards cause I had to rig up a pushbutton starter and wiring from the 12v Ford starter selonoid. I was able to get her into third gear on the way home. But as I expected my 97 is pulling more fuel then the gravity feed can supply. I only had about 5 gallons of fuel. We have hashed this out a bit in the previous months threads and I figured I would need to get a pump and regulator so off to the parts house to get those soon. Just thought I would give ya'll an update.-Weeks

14. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Bluto,
    Are these set up as up draft or down draft? Or maybe side draft?

If there is no floats, then they would have to be supplied fuel with a constant pressure. Like a Hillborn injection ?

Are there metering jets ?

Thanks for sharing.

15. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

I wouldn't use the first one. The second should be resurfaced until the cracks are gone. Check the thickness after machining to make sure the flywheel isn't too thin. I would also do a dye check of the flywheel too. Just to make sure the cracks didn't go all the way through.

If it were me, I wouldn't use either. But I can get a good one pretty easy. You may not be so lucky finding flywheels in Denmark. :D

16. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Yes Craz they mount any direction

I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THEM!!!!!

They are old

The manifold isn't drilled at the single flange.

I got them cause they looked neat.

Sorry that's all.

If I get time I strip and photograph all the parts and post them before June maybe. :)

They are quality castings and say 'FLOATLESS' on the side.

I know nothing about them.:D

Attached Files:

17. Bluto

Bluto
    Member Emeritus

Rasmus

Take you right shoe off and wiggle you toes....... Fun isn't it?

How imagine your foot made of wood. No toes and worry about worms after walking in the forest:eek:

Get a good flywheel
    :cool:

18. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

Thanks for the pictures. Those are defiantly the strangest "carb" I've seen.

I'd love to be around when you strip them down. But I don't think I'll be in your neck of the woods any time soon. :)

19. borntobewild

borntobewild

No you absolutely right in. It's not always easy to be a hotrodder in this country, and especially not when it's your first project. But never mind, no one has promised that it would be easy. :D
    But I want to run my first trip now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:mad:

[​IMG]

20. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

well said......:eek:

21. BCCHOPIT

BCCHOPIT

nice ride....

22. borntobewild

borntobewild

23. Here is some information regarding head gasket volume when determining compression ratios. I calculated the volume of a Best 509 gasket and came up with a total of 20 cc's at .060 gasket compression. The I subtracted the amount displaced by the piston travel over the deck, 4 cc's, then I subtracted the amount the valves displaced, again a total of 4 cc's. For the figure of the valve displacement I used the margin dimension as supplied by Manley for the valves I used. The margin being the straight portion of the side of the valve head. These particular valves have a .080 margin on the intakes and a .100 on the exhaust so each projects into the combustion chamber a measurable amount which may be calculated and subtracted from the volume of the chamber. In my case 2 cc's. I'm posting this to show there are variables in calculating compression ratios for different engine combinations. I found a reground stock valve with a .055 margin. More trivia for you!!

24. borntobewild

borntobewild

Is it the same type flywheel on an A or B engine?
    My gear box is from an A model

25. Crazydaddyo

Crazydaddyo

They are different. You can use a B on an A, but you can't use an A flywheel with a B trans, flywheel housing, and oil pan. Your set up can use both A or B.

Stock A flywheel weighs @ 62 lbs. The stock B flywheel weighs @ 53 lbs. Both use the same pressure plate.

26. borntobewild

borntobewild

Hi

So ik I get an apprenticeship? (Do not know whether it is right?) From our engineering department out of work. We had turned the flywheel so now it's just top dollar. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 28, 2009
  27. If you face off too much the clutch disk may hit the flywheel mounting bolts.

28. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

born to be wild how much did you remove from flywheel? I mite be wrong but I think you neeed the same amount removed where clutch bolts on to keep pressure the same on the disk. some one with more experience in this will let us both know
    Ken

29. borntobewild

borntobewild

yep, I've seen after that. There are about 3.5 mm from the plant surface and down to the bolt heads. So it should not cause problems

30. borntobewild

borntobewild

Hi

I have taken 0.8 mm from so it should not have got the same problem with the bolts?

How much torque they really strapped in?