Register now to get rid of these ads!

Detroit Autorama Ridler 2010

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by greg32, Dec 24, 2009.

1. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Its that time of the year. Who has heard any rumors about cars in contention? I heard Foose had a work in progress this past year, but dont know if thats true. Anybody know anything?

2. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yep, local buddy Murray Pflaf (sp?) has built a '59 Imperial 4 door into a 2 door roadster. It's pretty cool looking so far. The artist rendering is killer. The bodywork is not completed yet but it's close. I wish him the best of luck and I'm trying to be optimistic BUT I don't think he's far enough along at this point to make this years Ridler contendership.

I've got photos but promised not to post. Now there's someone who trusts his fellow hot rodder....he allowed me to take photos on just my word that I wouldn't post.

3. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

I do know that there hasn't been a HAMB friendly car go up for the Ridler in quite some time. Maybe this year it will change, but I doubt it.

4. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Denise, Murry is the BEST! I've been wondering how this car is coming along. When I first saw it two years ago, I couldn't believe what he had done to it. Just incredible! I too was asked to not divulge the photos and what more trust could a person put in another than to rely on their word.

I sure hope Murry gets his Imperial done so that we can all drool over it. Whether it is HAMB friendly or not, it is an amazing piece of art sculpted from metal and tons of skill.

5. NITROFC

NITROFC
    BANNED

I know of 3 cars in the final stages ... One from Montana, Florida and another to be named later. Have a few pics of 2 of them both are stunning ...

6. owen thomas

owen thomas

"hasn't been a HAMB friendly car go up for the Ridler in quite some time"
    What does that mean?

See you at the Autorama. Missed a few since '58 at the armory.

7. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I know of one that I'm real interested in seeing. I sure hope its done in time.

I think it's almost impossible to make a Riddler contender HAMB friendly. In order to compete, most of the things we consider traditional and cool are things that would just about shoot yourself in the foot. I think that the build can come close to traditional in its overall appearance, but fall "short" in the gadgets and details that will make it a real competitor.

8. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

9. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

You don't know what "HAMB friendly" means and you've been here for almost a year. :rolleyes: Geez, pay attention already. :eek:

I agree, it's pretty much the ultimate street rod award, or so it seems. Though it would be cool to see someone buck the trend and build the most bitchin' traditional ride ever and put it in there. I think it'd really set some on their ears.

10. kurtis

kurtis
    from Australia

Oh go on. Just i photo, be a darling.:D

BTW. Is a car deemed ineligible for top honors if it has been shown prior to the show or is that the GNRS?

11. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Yep, that's the rule for the Ridler award.

12. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

I dunno 1 point something million to win bragging rights a cheep jacket and a crate engine? how will that ever be HAMB friendly?
    Fritz

13. Special Ed

Special Ed

BTW. Is a car deemed ineligible for top honors if it has been shown prior to the show or is that the GNRS?[/QUOTE]

Both.

14. Special Ed

Special Ed

Try closer to three mil.:)

15. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

The Ridler and HAMB friendly are mutually exclusive terms. This award has become the playground of the ultra rich who are into the persuit of this award strictly for the bragging rights. There isn't a winner in the last ten years (or more) who couldn't have had at least 10-20 exceptional cars for what they had tied up in that trophy. Anyone with enough ego to see one of these creations and smugly think they could build something just as good should seriously seek professional help as being delusional is just one of their deficiencies.

Frank

16. I know of one that was supposed to be finished last year but couldn't be done in time.I'm not sure that it will be finished for this year's show either as the builder has some health issues.I did a bunch of striping on the underside of the car awhile back but haven't returned as yet to apply the finish lines to the body.All I can say is it is probably the only car that would have been worth more stock than it cost to build it.

17. Dead Pan

Dead Pan

i saw pics on rad rides by troy of a 32 ford truck (im not positive on year and manufacture) thats owned by george poteet that is dead on incredible - not sure if its gunna debut at pomona or detroit

18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'd drink beer outta that cup and use the engine for a coffee table.

19. one37tudor

one37tudor

Even though I have no interest (even if I had the money) to build a car to such a high level it does seem that ever year there is a new build concept or application or way of building something that I find interesting. I have even attempted to use some of this information to make my builds better.
    Always something to be learned when you pit the best builders in the country against each other.

Scott...

20. Dead Pan

Dead Pan

is that a 4 cammer indy engine ?

21. Special Ed

Special Ed

I kinda gave up looking at the Ridler and AMBR contenders when I read an article on one from a few years back that stated the shop had in "excess of 150 hours" in fabricating the brake pedal. This was at a shop that at that time was charging a hundred bucks an hour. That comes out to 15k plus FOR ONLY A BRAKE PEDAL!

22. moter

moter

hopefully it didnt have a clutch pedal! :eek:

23. Lead Head

Lead Head

Go downstairs there way more cool shit to look at. 10 of us are driving our rides from Canada around 250 miles in the snow. Sure hope they have a hose for us. Come by and say hello. There are some other members in my club that are on here as well.
    We are The Lead Kings and we embrace dirt roads, snow.....and beer.

24. cal1954

cal1954
    from Omaha, NE

Chip's 32 project will not be done anytime soon unless a new owner steps in. That project is dead and its a very long stroy! Troy won't do another ridler car. Poteet had a 37 ridler car about 15 years ago and sold the thing before the show was over. He does not want another ridler car. Poteets truck will come out at the AMBR show. Anyways the only pics that can be shown of any ridler car that is going to contend has to be a bare metal photo. No primer or paint pics. The bar has been set so high for the ridler award that its going to be very hard for a tradional car to contend. Its sad but true!!!!
    Not to be negative here but the only way Murray's car will win is if its the only one that shows up!

25. FRITZ

FRITZ
    BANNED

well I think I'll stick with building radical show rods the way they were, thats just me. I'd rather make a 10 or 12 year old kid smile & get excited then chase fame and popularity.
    Fritz

26. PRO 48 fleetline

PRO 48 fleetline
    BANNED
    from ohio

Cant wait to go going up with a few buddys be my first time there.

27. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

It'd never win, but I'm in!

28. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Is Poteets truck the one that has been on his site being built in Indy for the last several years? Now moved to Troys?

29. cal1954

cal1954
    from Omaha, NE

Ya thats the truck.

30. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is this bare body photo rule there to prove how good the metal work is?