Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects <<< NEW 1932 Ford Roadster Build thread, UPDATED 12/23/2009>>>

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by vendettaautofab, Dec 9, 2009.

1. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Rubbed my rear a little bit today... I dont know if it will be fully polished or not yet, probably just painted with the edges of the ribs polished.

Hoping to get a chance to get this thing rolling in the next 2 weeks, we'll see

Attached Files:

2. cretin

cretin

Looks like a cool build! I dig the details such as the pockets for the end of the hairpin and the shock bell cranks. Should be a cool build to watch.

3. flatliner32

flatliner32
    from Indiana

really Sweet Mike..........Like that the dog feels right at home,,,,Is he adding creative Ideas too?

4. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Thanks, I hope it all turns out...
    Thanks Doug... Lou dog is the driving force behind alot of the ideas through out the shop, but he's best known for his accounting skills...

You ought to post some pics of that roadster of yours!

5. MichiganJames

MichiganJames

Looks amazing, nice quality

6. sr

sr
    from Monterey

So the one inch change in rail height at the center line of the axle will create the need for a shorter radiator, grille and modified hood sides etc. right? Or will it just take up the space that is usually between the stock hood sides and the frame rails when the fenders are not used on a high boy? Just trying to think about the frame change and what affect that will have on the other parts. I am curious to see how it all works out. Good job and thanks for sharing the progress and photos. I love to see someone elses builds, it always gives me new ideas.
    Also how did yo determine your pedal locations? Besides the stock settings? Just curious.

7. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Thank you!
    Thanks James, where in Michigan?

The frame change in the front will create a bit of work, making the hood, sides, grille line up. The radiator will be addressed a bit in the crossmember location, as that will be moved back slightly to allow the axle to tuck up behind the chin of the grille shell in the "spring behind" type setup. Also, I plan on running a 2" shortened radiator, maybe even a non 32 radiator to get the lower neck in the right location all together to accomodate for the inboard shocks etc.

Thanks for your interest!

As for the pedal location. Thats a measurement that we have established on all of our frames. I dont recall it off hand, but if you call me at the shop, or email me, I can get it for you. Most all pedal manufacturers will provide you with that info when you purhcase the pedal assembly... I use primarly Pete and Jakes pedals.

8. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Few more...

The car will have coilovers in the rear, complete with our fancy little covers, as pictured... I didnt want a tube rear crossmember, just didnt... no real reason, they work fine, just didnt want one on this from. I wanted something simple, that was strong and looked like it belonged. Made this 3/16" thick channel... matches angle on rails. Was going to drill holes, or emboss an oval... then decided to just leave it, keep it simple.

Attached Files:

• CO4.jpg
      CO4.jpg
      File size:
      31.6 KB
      Views:
    • CO6.jpg
      CO6.jpg
      File size:
      41.3 KB
      Views:
    • CO7.jpg
      CO7.jpg
      File size:
      45.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3238.jpg
      3238.jpg
      File size:
      134.8 KB
      Views:
    • 3239.jpg
      3239.jpg
      File size:
      147 KB
      Views:
  9. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

The rear frame rails, as you see in the picture, will be bobbed... I didnt want to mark where until I set the body on the frame and such. The end of the boxing plates needed to be extended to accomodate the new crossmember... The ends of the boxing plates are a little crude as of right now, just because, they will be trimmed and capped.

Before and after

Attached Files:

• 3240.jpg
      3240.jpg
      File size:
      128.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3241.jpg
      3241.jpg
      File size:
      170.3 KB
      Views:
  10. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Crossmember contoured and tacked in place...

Attached Files:

11. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Nothing fancy here, just Model A front crossmember, placed 1/2" back from stock, to accomodate the spring behind setup and allow axle to tuck up behind grill shell's chin.

There will end up being a slight c-notch for both axle and spring... front of rails will get enclosed and the vallance will fill in between.

Attached Files:

• 3245.jpg
      3245.jpg
      File size:
      160.7 KB
      Views:
  12. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Needed the fixture for a couple other frame builds, wanted to get mine out and check a few things, work on other components of the build, such as wheels and rear.

Sanded the body up and sat it on the frame. This height is close to where it will be riding...

Attached Files:

13. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Last couple for tonight...

Attached Files:

• 3249.jpg
      3249.jpg
      File size:
      172.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3250.jpg
      3250.jpg
      File size:
      156.3 KB
      Views:
    • 3252.jpg
      3252.jpg
      File size:
      162.9 KB
      Views:
  14. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

All looking good, I like the rear x member, simple and clean and ties in nicely.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  15. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Langy... heres a couple more...

Thanks goes to Tab at Diamond Back Tires for the Blackwall SMOOTHIES... great service and they look fantastic.

Attached Files:

• 3256.jpg
      3256.jpg
      File size:
      168.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3254.jpg
      3254.jpg
      File size:
      196.7 KB
      Views:
    • 3253.jpg
      3253.jpg
      File size:
      207.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3248.jpg
      3248.jpg
      File size:
      157.4 KB
      Views:
  16. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Got the new Brookville roadster dash in, a little better than the flat dash. A fellow hamber is helping me out with getting the insert programed and machined. I cant remember his hamb name, but I can turn you on to his phone and email if you need any CNC work, he is from east side of the state.

Attached Files:

17. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

I reckon that dash insert is gonna look very trick :) I assume the front splash pan will echo the trim ???

18. straykatkustoms

straykatkustoms
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Whooa!! Thanks for letting us peak at your project. Jimmy Smith koncept drawing
    is killer makes me want a '32 roadster even more. I'm looking forward to watchin the
    build process. Good luck.

Happy Trails,

Mick

19. Lookin good Mike
    Ya gonna use a Rodwell windsheild?

20. bustedwrench

bustedwrench

OUTSTANDING. From the concept art to your work on the car itself,that is some fantastic workmanship.Really raises the bar a notch or two.

21. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

The front splash will have the same feel, as will the rear valance.... all very much like the final drawings. The "ribbed" theme...
    Thanks again Langy for the kudos

Mr. Smith is a master, and having the drawings helps more than you can imagine in the build process. Thanks for the kind words.

Thanks Don... no Rodwell... I will be using a stock style frame, chopped 3" and my own stanchions

Thank you!

22. hot rod pro

hot rod pro
    from spring tx.

looking real nice. keep us posted.

-danny

23. PeteFromTexas

PeteFromTexas

Very nice. Watching this build very close.

24. claymore

claymore
    BANNED

This is like the HAMB soap operas for guys... can't wait until the next day to see what you have accomplished overnight. Good stuff.

25. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Danny, I appreciate your support
    Thank you, see you work for Hatfield's, nice stuff there as well!

Thanks, no updates for a while... have a few other things to take care of, but will have the suspension taking shape soon.

26. ChromePlaterJosh

ChromePlaterJosh

I love the ribbed theme. It gives it some understated classiness; the kind of details seen on high-end cars of the era.

I envy the skills in fabrication shown here.

Good luck on the build!

27. Gotzy

Gotzy

Yeah definitely a great start on this one. Drawings are cool and your cross member modification is a simple idea professionally done that us garage butchers always love to see. Keep up the detailed coverage to keep us little guys aspiring to do better!

So has getting the exhaust up and out of the way made you consider running a belly pan?

28. vendettaautofab

vendettaautofab
    Member Emeritus

As of right now... no belly pan

Thanks for your kind words though

29. ocfab

ocfab

any update!