Register now to get rid of these ads!

Educate me please on ... M1/ M-100 trucks ( Mercury trucks ) in Canada

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Deuce Roadster, Dec 21, 2009.

1. As far as I know:

Mercury trucks are Canada only;

Plymouth clones of the Ramcharger and vans were sold US and Canada;

and that girl in the bikini up there must be on vacation in Florida, Hawaii or someplace else because it never gets warm enough to dress like that in Canada.

2. R Pope

R Pope

Okay, minor brain fart there---I did have a '72 Merc, but I made it out of a '72 Ford with the front sheetmetal and badges off a '68 Merc.
    I have three Merc trucks with 255's in them at the present. One is a rebuild, but the others are original, as far as I know.
    Also have a '66 half ton, and a '62 3-ton.

3. My Deuce Fordor came from Rick. He was great to deal with.

JH

4. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

-----------------------
    Naw....the pic was probably taken up here.
    Canadian girls all wear fur lined bikinis, don't
    cha' know!!:D
    =============================

5. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Well, Mr OneBad56 :)
    I now have two fairly solid leads on a new project Mercury truck
    ... that I would not have if I had not started this thread :) :)

A 50 M1 and 56 M-100 ... within my price range and only 16 hours away ( 1 way :rolleyes: ) Pictures on the way to me ( regular mail :( ) ... so we will just have to wait and see. Leaning more towards the 56 M-100 :D as they are roomier ...

Thanks to ALL who replied and freely gave information and education.
    Thanks to Ryan, for providing this site.

6. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

I know you're actually talking about the
    Flathead era Merc trucks, but......

Starting in 58, the 'Real Big Mercs' - ie -
    the 'Super Duties' got the 477 and
    534 V8! :D

By the way, the flathead was still used up here
    in Canadian-built Ford & Merc cars and trucks
    for another year after the U.S cars and trucks
    switched to the Y-block OHV engines.
    ------------------------------
    Pic: !965 Merc 'Super Duty' M-950

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  7. AMC360

AMC360
    from Canada

Anyone interested in a 53 Mercury 1/2 ton truck. Trying to build cash for my flathead project. PM me if interested or more pics.

Attached Files:

8. Kyle Counsil

Kyle Counsil

Attached Files:

9. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

Does anybody know if Mercury trucks were also built and/or sold in Mexico or in Central or South America? I spotted a couple of Mercury pick-ups - a '49 and a '57, the last time I was on vacation in Cuba, but like a lot of pre-revolution 'U.S-make'. cars and trucks sold there in the '40's and '50's, I think the Cuban Merc trucks I saw were originally built in Canada, specifically for export to Cuba.

Mart3406
    ==================

10. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

:)

[​IMG]

This one was one the internet. I really like it. :)
    I had a 49 Ford F-1 very much like it back in 1969 ...

This is the kind of M-47 I would like

11. havi

havi

Good taste. :)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  12. Boyd Who

Boyd Who

If you buy one from Rick at Loboys, let me know when you're coming up to get it. His shop is only an hour south of us and it would be cool to drive down to meet you there!

13. moefuzz

moefuzz

Deuce Roadster,

Be careful, That may look like one of the original ~2500 1949 Mercury 1/2 tons -ever- produced but in reality, they are pretty darn rare even up here (and how many of those original 2500 1/2 tons have survived to today? -up here)

Be careful

Look at the wheel openings of that so called '1 of ~2500' originally built 1949 Mercury 1/2 ton.

Just my humble opinion but that pic of a 49 merc 1/2 ton that you found thru google is NOT a Mercury 1/2 ton.

It may be a Ford, it may even be a 1 ton Ford but irregardless, it's obviously a collection of parts.

Consider,
    -The larger merc grain truck fenders (and grilles) with their large wheel arches can easily be bolted up to, and mated to any old Ford cab and chassis, 1 ton frames and body's included.

-------------------------

Now if we add some Mercury badges/stainless, etc....

....then most people might easily assume that it really is 1 of the actual original 2500 or so real Mercury M47 1/2 tons produced in 1949.

Of those 2500 1949 Mercury M47's, how many have survived after 60 years? Obviously not that one, not quite

That pic,
    that -truck- is not a 1949 Mercury 1/2 ton. You can easily see that it has the super huge, oversized front fenders. (Not to mention that the gap in the rear wheel to fender Also looks kinda on the '3/4 to 1 ton or wide side) -That's obviously a Ford 3/4 or 1 ton body and wide rear fenders (and it possibly still sits on its 1 ton frame)

-----On the larger trucks, the body line in the front fender is intercepted by the tire/wheel arch.
    That pic, that truck undoubtedly shows ~1 tonner Fenders (and chassis?) which just might mean that ? it's all one tonner (Ford???) body and 1 tonner frame parts with an -easy to fake- grain truck and/or Mercury grain truck grille et el.

-

In retrospect, I have seen lots of these at auction up north and they get bid way way way too high considering they are neither real mercury's and/Nor real 1/2 ton chassis.

-Many times you will find the large arch 1 ton body/fenders along with their very undesirable and heavy frames all riding on some 'found' 1/2 ton Ford axles and running gear gingerly mounted underneath.
    And that's usually a disappointment especially when it comes to doing things like ->lowering, modding, and swapping in a 9" rear and m11 steering or otherwise etc.

-That truck as pictured, could very well be a 3/4 or 1 ton frame with the large Merc grain truck fenders etc. (it's a 1 ton clip obviously) and some remaining Ford body parts bolted up.

jmho

Please compare that so called real 'Mercury' trucks wheel arches with a real merc 1/2 tons body/fender.

jmho,
    moe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2012
  14. havi

havi

Moe's right, and to add, Mercury trucks have the turn signal lights in the front fenders as well. Here's a pic of another imposter.

Attached Files:

15. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Thanks ...
    This is the type of education I am looking for :D

I would love to own yours ( advertised here on the HAMB ) ... but yours is 2680 plus miles ( one way ) and more $ $ $ than I can justify in today's economy :eek:

16. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Just a NICE little 50 Mercury pickup or a nice clone ... ( check out the lack of signal lights in the correct place )

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  17. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I wish I could afford to get this one ... :D

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  18. frame30

frame30

New here. My driver is a 1949 Merc 1/2 Ton which I purchased in 1978 and which I drive every day. I will be doing the body work, again, this summer I hope. Yes, the Merc's are rare. Mine was owned by a farmer in Bentley, Alberta who gave it to his grandson who had it towed to Edmonton. I looked at it, bought it, had it towed home. After much scratching of my head as to why it would not start, we finally realized the battery had frozen during the winter. New battery, bang it started. I only know of one other Merc in the area and that is George Moir's ... I assume he still has it. Cheers. Michael.

19. dgalley

dgalley
    from iowa

Then what happened to the blinkers? ford is grill and merc is fender.

20. Here I will throw this in

Attached Files:

21. If you want a rare one, here is a 1946 Merc truck. Its looks like its been sitting, but its starts right up, has all new brakes etc! Its a western truck that was brought to Ontario. Its not mine, but I know the guy and its forsale!

Attached Files:

22. Here are a couple poor pictures of some poor trucks!

Attached Files:

23. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

? ? ?

Look at the grill bars ... 4 bars ( Mercury ) not 5 like a Ford.
    I do believe that the upper front fender is a Ford. :)
    They do not have the stamped impressions for the signal light that the Mercury fenders do have.

I did go ahead and buy this green 49 M-47
    [​IMG]

Here is a chopped M-47 ... with the correct stainless trim on the fender ... the correct longer hood spears, the correct signal lights and the Mercury emblems on the hood.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  24. Hmm This 56 Merc is for sale on Calgary kijiji right now. expensive

Attached Files:

25. moefuzz

moefuzz

Mercs seem to demand a better price given the fact that they were Canada only production.

26. 52lomofo

52lomofo

take alook at my album

27. 52lomofo

52lomofo

51-52 didnt have chrome on the fenders just 48-50 am also looking for hood spears for 52 m1 if anyone has any ??

28. 52lomofo

52lomofo

i beleive somewheres that the parking lights for 48-50 have same part number as 46 car also if no-one has figured this one out the hood letters for my 52 are the same as 49 mercury car they would have used parts they had in stock instead of making new tooling the radio block off plates are hard to come buy

29. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

it's funny this should come up again at the same time that i remembered how bad i want a 58-60 M100...or a unibody M100...

dang.

30. terryble

terryble
    from canada

That would be incorrect Mercury trucks had 239 motors