Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest I never knew he used to work on cars!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oilslinger53, Dec 23, 2009.

1. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

I was out in front of my house grinding bondo off of my car this afternoon, and when I turned off my grinder to get up for some water I noticed my neighbor from a few doors down was standing there, quietly watching me grind as not to interrupt. He starts asking me about the car, and what my plans are for it. If I'm going to do it exactly the same as before, and whatnot, and he tells me about some of the cars he had built in the 60's. I've lived here for 25 years, and I think he's live there longer than that, and I had no clue he was interested in cars.
    Long story short, he gave me this box of shop manuals! Most are off topic to this board, but one I thought was really cool. Cover pretty much every American car from 1949-1958! Cool guy, really caught me off gaurd!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

i have a couple motors manuals from the 40's-50's. that vw book in the spiral binder is worth a few bucks, what edition is it?

3. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

That's cool He will be watching ,Incorporate his ideas in the build .Two heads are better than one sometimes.And he won't get the township after you.

4. oilslinger53

oilslinger53
    from covina CA

I thought that one was pretty cool too, all the illustrations are cartoony and fun...last copyright date on the inner page is 1979.

5. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

Sometimes us older....uh, more mature guys can be helpful. Keep the friendship going. It will benefit you both.

6. RichG

RichG

If you want to sell that Veedub book let me know :p

Very cool, it looks like you've got yourself a friend, no telling what he'll know...or where stuff is maybe? Friends like that are good to have around!:D

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

well all the old farts who used to like cars got to be living somewhere.

8. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

I had one of those VW books years ago when I was driving a Beetle. That book was a total hoot.

:D

9. Lazy White Boy

Lazy White Boy

Read the vw book if you haven't already. It's what started me down this path many years ago. IMHO, the best auto repair manual ever written.

10. I'm not poking fun at VW's but i think its funny its title isnt volkswagen repair its how to keep it alive lol

11. thats cool!
    nothing but good things come from car guys!

12. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

The whole book is funny that way. Seriously, if you're the type of person who occasionally pokes around in used book stores and you see one of those for a few dollars, buy it. It's a fun read even if you don't have a VW.

:)

13. old wood 51

old wood 51
    from NAPA CA.

That v.w. manual IS the best . it was written by a guy named John Muir, it's written in layman's terms... VERY layman's, it's to keep your v-dub alive and running for the complete idiot, if you've ever owned a v.w. you'd know it's a mechanical bible. seriously a good score:D

Brian.

14. BillM

BillM
    Member Emeritus

Check that VW manual page 331 for this sandwich recipe:

Attached Files:

15. customcory

customcory

Wonderful artwork in the VW book !:D

16. That pretty cool I think that '58 book would be pretty bitchin.

17. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Wow That Motors manual is nice and clean! My favorite reference book. That should cover most of the 50s. Now all you need is one from about 1965 to have all your bases covered.

18. All you young guys should have a MOTOR's book for your older stuff, available at most online book sites.,,,,Look 'em up. :)

19. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

Yeah, Motors is the shit...my dumb ass had been perusing one of mine one night and left it in my room on the floor under my nightstand. I stood up too quick one day and knocked a glass of milk onto it. It has never smelled the same since.

I think that VW manual is still in print. I can remember seeing it (no longer spiral bound) at Barnes and Noble and Borders. Maybe it's not the same book but it looks like it. Maybe I'll pick one up...then I'll have to go find a VW, though!

20. Astrochimp

Astrochimp
    from NE Mo.

The Motors are worth the $ just to look at the grills!

21. Verminator

Verminator

If only all shop manuals were written like the VW idiot book.... He doesn't expect you to have space age tools that you only use once -- lotsa good make your own tool and vise-grip and pry bar stuff, like the real world. I've beat up a few copies over the years and it is still available.

22. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

I remember that vw book. What a hoot. cool stuff.

23. jerseyboy

jerseyboy

Nice neighbor! Some good manuals there. I still have my How To Keep Your VW Rabbit Alive manual. I haven't had the Rabbit since '88, but I couldn't bring myself to get rid of the manual. Great illustrations, tips, humor, and instructions. It also helped me get into working on cars.:D