Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is it wrong to ....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Anchorboy46, Dec 22, 2009.

1. rgaller

rgaller

Sorry, but I still don't see it. If your buddy is saying the same thing that we are all saying......are you sure it's "us" who are wrong?

2. rgaller

rgaller

I see where you're coming from, but in my opinion he is 100% correct.

3. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

Walk a day in my shoes then you can judge me...mister 96 posts Newbee from St. Louis...Nice profile by the way, your probably just some punk 25 year old anyways.....:cool:I don't know why I am wasting my time trying to justify my life...

4. 19Fordy

19Fordy

Muttley, I am laffing so hard at your cat that I can hardly spell.

5. Ghost28

Ghost28

My primary business, which is not auto related, is really slow right now. And I am taking in side jobs myself. I do have some well intentioned friends, that have friends that need work done on there projects. And some have recomended me for a contact person for either trade, or cheap labor. I think that is when a friendship can get strained when your friends start selling you short, or acting as your manager. As for sending a job to a more qualified builder, That is also good business, as long as you are not setting the price of the other shop. No one should get pissed and the customer should be happy...John

Last edited: Dec 23, 2009
  6. Hyway Hauler

Hyway Hauler

100% right there!

7. Anchorboy46 - People appreciate honesty and don't forget it. The ones you send to the other dude will come back to you when they need something you can do. Just got to be ready to take care of them when they need it. Keep on being rightious!

8. DELTUFFO

DELTUFFO
    from Quincy

I think you guys just need to let your friends know they need to call you, not send random people by your shop.

Sounds like their intentions are good, they are simply going about it the wrong way.

Merry Christmas all,

Tom

9. Spity

Spity

Alot of high end shops out source work, wether it be paint, or interior, or engine building. The proper way to handle it IMO is to say I got a guy who can do it and take it to them for your customer. Dont over inflate the price, but your time is worth something. Otherwise your loosing business.

When I do side jobs outside of work, I will not take on any job that I cannot guarentee, so if someone can do something better, more affordably, or if the job isnt worth doing or I'll just break even I wont do it. An old timer told me once never turn down a job, but when I could be working alot less hard for the same reward flipping burgers, then im going to flip burgers. Some jobs just arent worth doing at all, and some customers just arent worth working for!

Because of the economy thats just my 1 cent, the other 1 cent went into my jar im going to bury.

10. timmer50

timmer50

If your that slow... you don't charge by the hour, do you?

11. Larry Pearsall

Larry Pearsall

I was in Business for Myself for 20 years,,I learned to have outside people as needed ,,but its important that you keep control, or the next time the same customer needs help, he will go to his new connection without you..Keep control, and charge a smal percentage for your time and supervision..With bad results your name will be used by referring outside help ,,it will be the same when there is good results...Its a way for your business to grow as well..

12. onedge

onedge

go find you a model A to work on and RELAX!

13. Ghost28

Ghost28

Oh they know, and they are still my friends. And yes I am sure there intentions were good. And I even got some good business from them...John
    And Merry Christmas to you.

14. nutajunka

nutajunka

Alot of fab work also depends on your equipment. Good equipment can give very good results, even if your not that good. Poor equipment will give poor results, then there is the guy who can make something from nothing, I say if you know you can do it, do it, if not step back. Car lovers don't take kindly to having there pride and joy all bugered up for sure. I used to do regular car mechanic's jobs, but it became really boring. Seems like alot of it can almost be done with your eyes closed or your mind a thousand miles away. Hot rods now are usually always different and will keep your attention. But money is money and if a well paying job come's in and you know it's a piece of cake, well.....................................

15. I agree,
    Sounds like a common sense call to me.
    "A man's got to know his limitations"

16. thirtytwo

thirtytwo

how about this ...if you know someone that is more capable to do something ....its a persons DUTY to send them there... 5 years ago it seemed like every punk with a harbor frieght wire welder was opening up a hotrod / chopper shop .... a lot of people ended up paying good money for sub-standard work i have personally seen a lot of good old fords messed up by someone who doesnt know their limitations ...

TOO MANY KIDS HAVE GROWN UP IN LITTLE LEAUGE "EVERY ONE GETS TO PLAY, NO MATTER HOW GOOD YOU ARE " in real life some people are just better than others, and they should get to play more!

17. If the guy is cheaper than you and better than you, "subcontract" the work to him and take a percentage for basically doing nothing. It's probably not the most ethical way to handle it, but if everyone's happy that way, who cares.

18. Wow! thanx for the replys. No, I would never send a guy to someone that sux. But if I know of someone who is really hot, and better than I could do, I would rather see it get done bitchen than just mediocre..just my two cents..the guy who was sayin shit about "servicing my wife" you have no class and you need to grow up.. Mikey

19. panic

panic

I know what I can do, and what I can't do. The 2nd group is a lot bigger, and I can't make any money at those things because it takes too long to make it right.

You did the right thing.